• BlueGoldAg
    We escape from Southern Utah but it was not impressive...
  • NCagalum
    Second halves last two weeks not good.
  • Riveraggie
    Only watched the first half, perhaps fortunately.
    Doesn’t worry me that they got closer in second half, with our current running back lack of depth we’re pretty poor at running the ball against a team that is not giving it to us.
    The running game in the first half made them pay when they tried to play with three down linemen, and that’s a plus.
  • movielover
    I wonder if freshman Calvin Mouisett is out, he didn't play ... but LB transfers Cole Hansen and James Scharetg saw action.

Question: if a junior plays 4 games or less, do they now qualify for a redshirt year?

CM - I thought there was a rule against 3 vowels in a row.
  • cmt
    Not a great sign when we’re only beating a 1-7 team by 8. I know this was on the road and I know it was 33-7, but last years Aggies would have put up 50.
  • Riveraggie
    Re redshirt the rule basically is you’ve got five years to play four. So if a player in any class plays less than four games it doesn’t count as one of the four. But your eligibility expires in five calendar years, unless you’re in the military or on mission or some other exemption or hardship.In other words redshirt only once.
  • agalum
    Sad second half. We had a watch party at my place. The fellas were ready to watch the suc game. As much as i hate to say it, they deserve top 5 ranking. We simply are not as good as last year. Weber should be favored to beat us, but as always, Go Ags.
  • movielover
    Home field. Pack the House!! BrewFest!
  • DrMike
    you can get an additional year if it’s a medical redshirt. Thomson st Sac is in his 6th year. You have to petition for an additional year, not sure how that all works.
  • DrMike
    I think our injury situation is causing us to play overly cautious in these second half. We seem to be carrying more and more skill players ‘just in case’ and that, along with injuries, is leaving us thin on defense. Hardly any blitzes in second half which let that guy bide his team ( and we missed 4 or 5 sacks with poor tacking) and let them chip away. Offense got cautious, some might be due to the winds, some just to keep defense off the field. Weber will be tough. Good to be home where we can suit u more guys, maybe give the D more breathers.
  • Riveraggie
    You are correct; it seems that a medical exception is not too hard to get, example Gage Gubrud last year who played in five games and had redshirted earlier in his career got a sixth year. So based on that anyone injured who missed 2/3 of his team’s games should apply for that.
    I don’t think the five year rule is fair. A player should be able to interrupt their college career for personal reasons or to explore other options and Not lose eligibility. Drakeley for example should have three years eligibility remaining after this year.
  • movielover
    Speaking of Drakeley, he was helped off the field.

What is the limit on the number bbn of players a home team.can play? (Can s home team play more than the visitors?)
  • Riveraggie
    That’s too bad about Drakeley, he was getting a lot of playing time and seemed pretty good.
  • DrMike
    from what Hawkins was saying on a coaches’ show, you can suit up an ‘unlimited’ number for home games, but limited for travel squads. Big advantage with the new redshirt rule
  • movielover
    I wonder if there is s distinction between suit up, and actual participation?

Sac QB looks impressive, can throw the long ball and run a little. Most of these kids were recruited by Sears.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Like I said to a group text last night, we need to realize there is zero margin for error and glamour points (I.e. WINNING MARGIN) matters. If we happen to win out we're playing Thanksgiving weekend no doubt. In that event, glamour points will determine our opponent and also who would be waiting the week following for the victorious team.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Quotes from the Davis Enterprise article:

“A win is a win,” UCD head coach Dan Hawkins told The Enterprise after the game. “It’s awfully hard to win on the road in this league, so we’ll take it.”

UCD defensive coordinator Robert Tucker said, “I know we were on our heels there at the end on defense, but we were down a couple of guys and everybody stepped up to make the plays.”

“I think we started well,” Tucker said. “Guys were doing a really good job in the first half staying on their assignments. We got a little banged up in the second half, and the tempo got away from us.”

“Their quarterback (Chris Helbig) did a great job escaping and keeping drives alive,” Tucker pointed out. “But we battled, and I’m extremely proud of how we finished, we didn’t fold.”

“They slowed us down a little bit in the second half, and it certainly wasn’t a clean game for us,” Hawkins said. “But it sets things up nicely for Weber State next week.”

And this funny tidbit:

SUU’s roster is a nightmare for radio announcers who must struggle with proper pronunciation in a timely manner … Among those performing for the Thunderbirds are La’akea Kaho’ohanoohano-Davis, Somtochukwu Achebo and Kyle Tauiliili.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-hold-off-late-surge-to-ground-thunderbirds/
  • agalum

Well, the only problem with all that rationalization is SUU is 1-7. We should have put them away if we are the team that we all hope we are. Any one of the teams left on our schedule can beat us.
  • DrMike
    The injury explanation fits with what I sensed watching. We got really vanilla on D, because we didn’t have personnel to change things up. What was frustrating was the 4 or 5 times we got a good rush in 3rd, hit the QB, but let him escape to make a big play and keep drives going. Make a few of those plays and you stop their momentum and put it away
  • SochorField
    I've harped on this a few times.....but the offensive fire power is significantly diminished this year. Doss was double covered every play. He was still able to impact the game, and it really opened up the passing game for Maier. I'm fairly sure opposing defenses are not doubling anyone this year.

It just 'aint as easy this year....couple that with a schedule that is twice a difficult.....Here we are at 4-4.
  • Riveraggie
    We were missing two of our top five receivers and I think Harrell is impacted by injury although playing; and we still put up 300 plus yards and 26 points in an almost penalty free the first half.
    It is common in sports that a team with a huge lead gives most of it up late in the game. Doesn’t mean much.
    We are limited in our ability to play conservative on offense due to our lack of depth at running backs and because that’s not our style.
  • movielover
    And a few less penalties and 1-2 fewer interceptions, we're 6-2, top 10, and rollin.

But you're correct, we're scoring significantly less.
  • 69aggie
    Plus, at least for the first half of last year we snuck up on people. Not this year. And yes Doss is a big loss to the team. Bigger than I ever thought. Sure hope we have a good recruiting year.
  • lucche
    Actually Babb could be a very dangerous receiver who will draw double coverage soon. He is explosive after the catch.
  • movielover
    We had some other big losses, long term and short.

Aaron Moore.
    Logan Montgomery.

Crawford.
    Kraft.

Babb, Ornelius, and Thorpe all huge.
  • MTBAggie
    Where does Tehran Thomas fit in here? Did he make the trip to SUU? It seems like last year he and Gilliam complemented each other very well. But injuries seem to have significantly limited him this year.
  • Riveraggie
    Let’s not go back two years to count players who aren’t here.

I think with the group of receivers we have you have to look elsewhere for our problem.
    Harrell, Vaughn, Crawford have all had huge games this year. Babb is very good, makes great catches and scary after the catch.
  • Riveraggie
    Tehran’s loss is a huge factor. Leaves one back we can rely on and that limits play calling. In 2017 Tehran had sped and mass, looked like Chuck Muncie. He punished tacklers and had speed to get around the corner. We miss both aspects, although Gilliam is great running upfield.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!