• aggie6thman
    Another hardware game! Beat Slac State!
  • agalum
    Ive seen a lot of causeway games through the years. There were many in which Suc had the better team. It appears they should be the favored team this year. But for what ever reason, they have a tendency to self destruct against the Ags. One issue that worries me is that we give up big plays, and they are making them. I think we need to deflate them early, jump ahead, and get them out of their game plan. “Sac state sucks!”
  • movielover
    Will we come out flat again?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't think we'll be flat again.

I expect that Sac will draw a pretty good crowd for this game considering this is their best chance for the playoffs in many years. They have a very athletic QB who is similar to SUU's Tyler. He has the ability to make something out of nothing with his legs and he is an accurate passer. As usual, Sac will be very athletic with good speed and quickness.

We need to play smarter than Sac and not get caught up in their trash talk which will most definitely happen in a game like this. Let them shoot themselves in the foot like they often do against us.
  • movielover
    Given our sideline celebration vs SLO and ocassional penalty nightmares, we can't bank on anything. Discipline.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We haven't seen anymore of that so, hopefully, that's been handled by Hawk.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    This is a game J Street Tech, in a vacuum or perfect world, should win.

Which means, in classic Hornet form, they’ll muck it up and lose it by 6-13 points. It’s good for a Hornets!

Go Ags!
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Was it the 2010 thunderstorm game in which Sac State had a chance to go to playoffs and we won or am I thinking of 2011?
  • Goags20172
    Yes, I'm sure SAC State will double its student attendance from 10 to 20 for the game. UCD isn't the only school that has trouble getting students to attend. Maybe if they were promised free weed....

I pretty much exclusively attend college baseball games anymore, so I'm not going, even though it's less than 10 miles away. Don't like the boorish element that appears at Causeway Classic games. Too bad too. They have some pretty good food trucks usually.

What trash talk has my second college been coming up with other than t- shirts with "Duck Favis". ?

I remember in my first ever class at UCD the professor was ripping on Woodland. What has Woodland done to deserve that aside from looking like a place where it's winter all year and having a mall with a Gottschalk's sign. It's not coming back ! Take down the sign !
  • 69aggie
    We need coach foster in the dressing room,

He will set the tempo....
  • movielover
    I thought Hawkins was the rah rah guy, but recently I've felt he is more like the ambassador / CEO... which is fine if it works.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Okay, yeah I was def at that game in 2010, I just couldn't remember if 2010 was the year we ruined their playoff hopes or not.

Okay everyone fill in the blank:
    SAC STATE ____????
  • agalum

Ha ha, i already answered that question in second post :).
  • aggie6thman
    How have we made it to Wednesday of Causeway week and there have not be any Hornet sittings on AST? :-}
  • agalum

Even with their improvement this year, I think their overall program has knocked the wind out of their sails over there. There boards are very quiet.
  • BlueGoldAg
    They have a much worse fan support problem than we do right now. This is one of their best teams of the D1 era and there's not much interest around Sacramento.

There's a big vacuum when it comes to D1 college sports in the greater Sacramento area. If either school was ever able to begin competing with the likes of the bigger name schools in the west on a consistent basis, the sports hungry fans in the area would eat it up. I hope that will be the Aggies in due time.
  • movielover
    It's good for us if Sac stays relevant.

Don't forget marketing / PR as part of the equation. We got into NCAA March Madness, and our ICA rep went Debbie Downer.

"The journey continues,” said the UCD ICA official, “This is a moment of togetherness. For us to be where we are, that’s enough. This is a moment of hope. That’s how I would put it.” ...

“We’re known for our academics,” he said."

Will the game ever return to Hughes Stadium?
  • Goags20172
    I wouldn't mind seeing the game return to Hughes Stadium. It has an old- timey feel to it that causes nostalgic moments like seeing CAL football play ASU when I was 9. Maybe that's because CAL is really old and grimy- looking too,. which it even was back then. I've never been back to Berkeley. Why go ?

SAC City's baseball field (which is right next door) brings back memories too. They've got that old hot dog stand with the menu that figurativelysays, "Vegan go home !" and "Gluten served here." Their hot dogs are better than the ones at Dobbins Stadium too. Our possible collective German ancestors would be appalled !
  • PortlandAggie
    If I recall correctly, even if Sac State beat us in 2010 the odds were against them with respect to an at-large playoff bid.
  • Willie Hays
    Word is Angus McClure is coming in as HC at Sac State. He will bring a lot of support with him. Will be fun to see both programs improve.
  • PortlandAggie
    "How have we made it to Wednesday of Causeway week and there have not be any Hornet sittings on AST?"

You assume they know how to use a computer?
  • Goags20172
    What were the chances a contributor named Willie Hays would post after I made a baseball reference ? Welcome !
  • movielover
    After the current turnaround and a young squad? WTF?
  • Phantom Hornet
    Did someone beckon?

We are alive, emerging from the shadows! I think someone nailed it when they said the last few years took the wind out of our sails. It killed off a lot of enthusiasm for the program (what remained), as evidenced by lack of activity at SacBuzz. I think a lot of Hornet fans are still cautious about this season, even now. This kind of came out of nowhere, most of us expected 2-3 wins again and Sears to be gone.

It's really best for both programs when they are winning, we kind of need each other long-term to succeed.

I was not a fan of Sears coming into the year, but he's really won me over. This team has a crap load of talent and plays a style that is fun to watch. They attack on defense, pound the ball and take deep shots on offense. Sears appears to have laid a great future foundation, focusing on the lines on both sides of the ball. I've done a 180 (360 for those of you with a UCD "degree") on Sears and hope he is re-signed regardless of the Causeway outcome. Only hiring McClure would be acceptable if they move on from Sears, IMHO.

Saturday should be a blast. The stadium is looking great, beer garden is awesome and they park about 10 delicious food trucks in the north end zone. Stingers Up!
  • Goags20172
    You would be assuming the would- be SAC State contributors care enough to post. They just dust off their Duck Favis shirts once a year, make some noise. Game's over, they go back into hibernation.

The animosity between the two schools is blown out of proportion. As a grad student I'd wear UCD stuff on campus indiscriminantly, and the only people who ever commented were former Davis students who were there to become teachers. Well there was that time I was hit with a foul ball while wearing a UCD shirt and people cheered, but I think they were more applauding the fact I was ok.

I could probably walk around Davis now with a SAC State shirt and barely anyone would notice. The millennials would be too busy staring at their phones (while riding bikes at top speed on the sidewalk no less) to notice.

It is a shame for many of SAC State's athletic programs that they have to deal with such an overwhelming level of student apathy. I've met several of their coaches (different sports), and they're all intelligent, caring people who have the student- athletes best interests in mind. They've improved their programs, but they can't get students to attend. It's gotta be Joe Six- Pack from Sactown (I hate "Sactown") who attends. If it weren't for old white dudes from wherever the bball team would have about a dozen fans in attendance.

Edit:has to be more than a dozen. I neglected to include the visiting team's fans. Also forgot the SAC State cheerleaders, the basketball team, and the coaches. This of course presumes that they are rooting for SAC State.
  • aggie6thman
    Welcome (back) to the party. Causeway is better when both teams have winning records and playoffs hopes (dreams) on the line.

I wonder what the rain will do to both teams.
  • aggie6thman
    @Goags20172

Well there was that time I was hit with a foul ball while wearing a UCD shirt and people cheered, but I think they were more applauding the fact I was ok.

HAHAHA. I guess we'll never know!
  • Goags20172
    Given the lack of students in attendance I'd say it was the latter :D
  • movielover
    Is Angus McClure selling himself again? I believe he pitched himself for our gig.

Another long time assistant who has never been HC, and never been a coordinator. Where have I read that bio before?

Jody Sears gets to 7 wins, I think Sac would be foolish to let him go. Right now they look great, tough defense. Doesn't mean I sign him to a LT deal, but I think I give him 2 or 3 years.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!