• Phantom Hornet
    **cracks knuckles** Let's do this...

It is a shame for many of SAC State's athletic programs that they have to deal with such an overwhelming level of student apathy. I've met several of their coaches (different sports), and they're all intelligent, caring people who have the student- athletes best interests in mind. They've improved their programs, but they can't get students to attend. It's gotta be Joe Six- Pack from Sactown (I hate "Sactown") who attends. If it weren't for old white dudes from wherever the bball team would have about a dozen fans in attendance.

Ain't that the pot calling the kettle black? At least we are in an urban environment with plenty of other entertainment opportunities to blame. What else is there to do in Davis on a Saturday? Your stadium is so empty most of the time it really emphasizes how boring and plain it really is. It's like the FCS version of Levi's Stadium. At least Toomey had character.

The Aggie Pack, or what's left of it, is a joke. Used to be kind of entertaining. At least we can agree on the Millenials ruining everything angle.
  • PortlandAggie
    Welcome to the new AST.com ! Looking forward to a great game.
  • Willie Hays
    Not sure. Heard this over a few drinks with some pretty influential alumni. Something about Coach Angus being a recruiting machine in Sacramento and he has a big following, which is needed at Sac State. Also heard one guy say they could not afford him. We will see.
  • Goags20172
    Sorry, you must have mistaken my post for trash talk. It wasn't intended to be. I don't dislike SAC State at all. I enjoyed my time there + still see athletic events. Supporting an athletics program doesn't mean you have to like everything about it.

However, I am frustrated, just as these folks are with UCD, with the utter lack of student support. Even in its diminished form you can't tell me the Aggie Pack is less of a factor than the small, rogue group of students that make up the Green Army. It simply isn't true. I appreciate the Green Army's efforts to increase student support, but they have much more of an uphill battle to fight, considering the students' apathy.
    In other words I was talking about SAC State independently of Davis. We still are allowed independent thought on these message boards, are we not ?

While we're at it though, the other sources of entertainment are irrelevant. If the SAC State students cared they would show up, but they don't care, do they ? Boring is subjective. A person who can't find enough to do in Davis is just a dull person in general. The college experience is what you make of it.
  • Goags20172
    Wow, I'm quotable all of a sudden. Twice in 1 day !
  • DrMike
    happened across the Band this morning preparing for the game:

Sac State Special
  • Phantom Hornet
    Lolol, you guys are losing your touch! Apologizing for trash talking on the week of the Causeway? What the hell has happened to us?!
  • movielover
    Where is the chicken lunch this week, West Sac? No notice, no desire for fans and alums to attend?
  • Goags20172
    There's a separate topic for smack. That's where you'll find the regular stuff. Some good jokes, although I in all good conscience can't laugh at them.

I'm not going to rip on one of my two schools. I would like to be wrong about the SAC State students' apathy. Unfortunately everything I said is absolutely true.
  • Goags20172
    I have that Weird Al album ! Of course I'm getting so old I don't recognize the songs of which he's making parodies anymore. That one is an original. Thanks for the link !
  • DrMike
    Although i don't own any Weird Al 'albums' (dated ourselves there!), i can say that i saw the Weird One twice in concert with my sons. One time at Cal Expo it was about 110 with maybe 500 souls in the stands, and you would have thought it was playing Madison Square Garden. The guy is a performer!
  • AggieFinn

That is hilarious.

Is it slated to rain in Sac on Saturday?
  • movielover
    Coaches show tonight?
  • DrMike
    I thought I got something in the mail a couple weeks back about it. I’m more surprised it’s not on CSN (or whatever it’s called). Can’t remember the last time it wasn’t televised.

At the O’Brien dinner Friday they were showing clips that Fred Arp had VCR’d back then. The sac game and two playoff games were televised on channel 13. There were a bunch of clips from sportscasts hyping the game ( sac was 8-1 we were 9-0; final was 52-7). Things have certainly changed locally
  • movielover
    I'm assuming a team and family dinner. Good turnout?

On the field looked like 30?
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Dont’t get me started on millenials. I hate millennials...and I’m one of them (barely).
  • agalum
    Is it slated to rain in Sac on Saturday?

Negative
  • movielover
    Where could we start...can't communicate... no logic... I happened into a Taco Tuesday, and everyone was on their phone... no flirting, no talking, no game... another world ...
  • DrMike
    they hosted a nice dinner at El Macero on Friday for the 1982 team (and guys like me from 81) and guests. that was a good turnout, probably about 70 people all together. Saturday there were probably 30 guys out there at midfield for the coinflip, with another 5-10 guys who finished in 81, or started in 83. program did a really nice job of welcoming people back.
  • Riveraggie
    Here we are five point underdogs versus Sac. Not following Sac much I find that surprising, I expected us to show more improvement as the season progressed as the team and coaches got the new system in place. Sac seemed to be stuck in the mud until this year. Most of the disadvantages we face they also face, like lack if facilities publicity etc. Yet there they are, competing better than us at the end of the season. I sure hope we win this week.
  • movielover
    With Maier, Plough, and Speckman, I'm surprised we haven't pulled one upset. I think we may be even more uptempo next year. Special teams and the D making life tougher.

Any feedback on red shirts or injuries?
  • Riveraggie
    no insight on injuries or redshirts. My impression is that we haven’t been unusually injured. We lost a starting safety for a good stretch and lost a running back from the rotation and I’m sure there are a others. But pretty lucky overall. With all the freshmen brought in this year I hope we redshirted most of them.
  • Zander
    We were a missed field goal away from taking EWU to overtime at home, and I like our chances of competing in that situation because the CJ Wildcat Special is as close to a guaranteed 2pt conversion that I can think of.

So that's our "upset" as far as I'm concerned, in that the offense largely did what it had to do to keep us in the game with an explosive team.
  • Riveraggie
    Close only counts in horseshoes. We had some close wins as well.

We beat all the teams at the bottom of the conference. And lost to the better teams. Against the weaker defenses our offense looked like a well oiled machine. But against the better defenses that wasn't the case and we became one dimensional and hence predictable; e.g. end zone interception against SU.. And defensively the last quarter of the EWU team showed they could score at will. Makes it hard to pull of an upset when you can't hold a lead.
  • Zander
    Oh I don't deny all that; see my caution/pessimism in other threads. This team has a lot to work on. But in regards to the original point about the offense being able to produce an upset, that was a game where the offense did its job
  • movielover
    Same with NAU, except we had the wrong gameplan / waited too long to adjust.
  • Riveraggie
    The first quarters of Cal Poly, ISU and some other games were beautiful to watch. Unfortunately when we went up against better defensive teams we couldn’t seem to get things done.
    Our offense had a lot more success when we could run the ball some. If you abandon the run entirely things gum up. We didn’t run enough against SU. We had a 3rd and a yard at our 21 and threw an uncatchable floater to Doss on the sideline instead of gettin a first down by running. Then we punt and they get the ball at midfield and when it’s third and long for them they throw what effectively was a punt that stuck us inside the five. Third and a yard get the first down.
  • movielover
    No pro here, but we also ran on 2nd and 26 against SUU, making it 3rd and 25. Why not 2 10-15 yard passes? Seems a much higher percentage option. Besides, a 10 yd pass w Doss or Moore could become 20 yds.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t know movie, perhaps it was a draw play, Didn’t work, but we don’t have the level of pass protection that allows downfield passing in obvious passing situations like 2nd and 26, against a team with a pass rush.
    When we don’t block well for either running plays or passing plays we end up throwing the ball, but are very limited because we don’t have time for some routes. Then we find ourself getting pressure on every play so we end up running a bunch of draws and throwing screens. Very hard to try to fool the defense every play. You have to have some base plays that work, like downfield passing or simple run plays, preferably both. If you don’t have your base plays working you can’t rely on the deceptive plays either because those work because they look like the base plays which have got the defenses attention.
  • DrMike
    Best case scenario: Maier is HOT, their QB reverts back to his early season struggles and we capitalize on turnovers, running game is decent and we play a clean game to clinch winning record.

Worst case: They hit early big plays, we don’t match and we’re in a Weber-like home.

I’m hosting reception for our latest grandson so won’t be there and won’t be able to follow until second half. Hope I see a nice result when I check!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!