• quadshock
    Just checked in. Late game comeback! Need one more defensive stand and one more shot at a TD drive
  • Aggie57
    We need Al Michaels standing by just in case
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Could this be revenge for the EWU game?
  • quadshock
    Wow here we gooo
  • Zander
    Had an essay prepared but I'll wait. Come on Ags
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Now the Ags have a real chance take the lead! I honestly laughed at the Ags twitter account that said "don't sleep on the Ags (with a 38-14 SAC lead).
  • Zander
    Hornets get the stop, just have to take a knee
  • quadshock
    Killer penalty on 4th and 1
  • Zander
    Ok good effort to hang in there by the Aggies, but man that was a costly false start.

Five wins isn't a catastrophe but it sure looks like an underperformance to me. The "how" we got to five matters a lot. We beat the five weakest teams in our schedule. Most of the losses were pretty bad -- pretty much all the FCS losses except EWU and now Sac -- and there have been moments that really reflected inadequate coaching (bad special teams miscues, weirdly inconsistent playcalling, unpreparedness for 2-minute drill, etc).

We know we're not going to have the best talent at every position. But this team has smart players and an experienced staff so I expect the preparation, game-time decision making, and execution to be near perfect every single game without fail. Any less means the team is set up to fail against bigger, faster opponents in the conference.

I get to see a pretty good FBS team play week after week and to my untrained eye, I just don't see the inconsistency and sloppiness that Davis has. Talent and funding discrepancies are acceptable and expected but not preparedness and execution levels.
  • movielover
    What was the penalty? Pluto in and out for me.

What penalty negated TThomas' huge run?? I've been saying he needs carries for weeks... when Pluto worked for me, he had some great runs!
  • BlueGoldAg
    There was a block below the waist that negated that great 90 yard run by Thomas.
  • movielover
    Points taken. May I reply?

1. We went from slow mo, boring offense, to quick paced, throwing offense, with a brand new QB, and full staff!! Maier wasn't even here in the spring.

Point 2. We are young. Lots of Sophs on defense, and frosh, lots of sophs on offense, too. I count at least 25 true freshmen, RF, or Sophs who get a LOT of PT. And at least 4-5 of those are JC transfers.

We battled. EWU and Sac were down to the last minute. Why we didn't play TThomas earlier is beyond me, against Cal Poly, against SUU, and 1st half tonight. Wasn't his success a contributing factor in the O moving the chains?

Go Ags!
  • movielover
    Without that illegal block does Thomas still make the play?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great near comeback by the Ags. They showed me a lot of Aggie Pride to come back like that after they were getting run out of the stadium and down 31 points in the 3rd quarter.

Total yards: Ags 659 Hornets 591

Passing yards: Ags 325 Hornets 276

Rushing yards: Ags 334 Hornets 315

Red zone: Ags 6-6 Hornets 4-4

Sacks: Ags 2 Hornets 2; TFL's: Ags 6 Hornets 3

Penalties: Ags 6 for 47 Hornets 7 for 66.

But the 2 big penalties on the Ags really hurt: the one that called back a 90 yard TD run and the false start on the final series when it was 4th and 1.

In just about all the categories the Ags edged the Hornets but lost the game. The first half was all Hornets and the second half nearly all Ags. The Hornets just managed to hang on for dear life.

Proud of this team...they could have laid down or got chippy and they did neither....they played with Aggie Pride and Sac knows they just escaped.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, the block was not crucial to getting him in the open. Thomas is a beast. Why he wasn't getting more PT we'll never know. He has tremendous speed for a kid his size and breaks tackles left and right.

That 90 yard run was a thing of beauty. As big as he is you would have thought that the Sac DB's would have run him down or he would have begun to seize up but, once he got into high gear, he was gone. Great speed! He'll be fun to watch in the years to come if he stays with us.
  • movielover
    Thomas was running over people at NAU in 2nd half, he seemed to stumble at times... but always forward and gaining yards!! Why didn't our staff see this in practice? Loyalty to a local player, 5th or 6th year senior? With that huge run he would have had 220 yards rushing - in one half!!!!! (He didn't play 1st half, right?)

OLine appeared to play solid. Firooz at LG, not sure when we made that change.

JW 3 TDs.

TThomas 125 yards rushing, 10+ yards per carry. Long of 26 yards. Most / all? in 2nd half.

Doss 173 yds receiving, 13 catches, most in 2nd half. (Why didn't we go to him earlier?) Doss also 45 yard sweep TD.

Hope for future: at least 25 big contributors tonight are true freshmen, RF, or Sophomores.
  • Goags20172
    Whenever I hear someone say to step back from or off a ledge I remember back to that scene in Yes Man where Jim Carrey sings the Third Eye Blind Song to convince Luis Guzman not to jump. I'm going to watch that movie tonight- I've been so inspired.

Aggie fans, watch a silly Jim Carrey movie tonight (not Batman Forever). Some silliness you don't have to think about is a good way to get over a game like this.
  • movielover
    Proud that we battled.

Can't get this out of my head. We give TThomas more PT 2nd half of the season, we win vs EWU, and Sac State. Progress! #Agscension
  • AggieFinn
    I am watching Batman Forever
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    For the longest time esp in middle and hs, my favorite movie was Batman and Robin. You can totally laugh at me for that pick.
  • Zander
    Real Steel is my flick for tonight. Too bummed and tired to go to the SDSU game.

I agree, the offense is an improvement, both in stats and style. It's much more fun to watch than previously, or at least the peaks are. I guess that's good for recruiting, attendance, and donations, but I'd rather take more Ws running the option or something if it came down such a decision.

The youth is a good point. It'll be interesting to see how everyone develops and how the staff fills in gaps when given more time to recruit into the new system. TT's underutilization is something I guess maybe I could've included in my list of ah, grievances, but we don't really know how all these guys compare in practice.

My vibe looking at the whole thing is that this is a team that had the ability to get around 7 wins that got 5. By the numbers that's an improvement and maybe we'll grow a bit but I really don't care for being a potential 8-win team that consistently gets 5 or 6 (we won't always have such a favorable schedule). And that's the path I see right now which is why I'm frustrated.
  • Zander
    Actually I watched that with hs friends once; it was plenty entertaining at least
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Maybe if we pulled our heads out of our rear ends before we were THIRTY-ONE POINTS DOWN we could have won the game and finished with a winning record.

Great comeback, yes, but a loss is still a loss, and a loss to that vocational school across the Causeway is worse.
  • movielover
    Is there a decent reason why we didn't go to Doss on the 1st half?

Great to see him used on the sweep.
  • agalum
    Well, suc has to win once in 7 or 8 years or it wouldn't be a rival.
  • Goags20172
    As it turns out I no longer own the Yes Man DVD. Must have sold it. I settled for Liar, Liar ! Batman Forever is not bad. Jim Carrey is only crazy as the Riddler, not so much funny. It's kind of Cable Guy- esque.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!