• agalum
    I watched the game on tv last night after watching it in person Saturday. Even the poly announcers were praying for them to mix up the play calls. But interestingly, the poly guys sitting in front of me were calling for them to continue to run it up the gut. Go figure. That was not working.
  • Polydad

Those Poly guys were probably saying that because most teams can't stop our run as cold as UCD did. With that said CP rushed for 304, little good it did them.
  • Riveraggie
    Were those guys on the broadcast regular Poly broadcasters? Didn’t seem like they were that familiar. At one point the color commentator forgot the full backs name.
    Poly this year is a one trick pony on offense and can’t stop the run on defense. Their coaching staff doesn’t think they can throw the ball. Since they have in prior years why don’t they this year? One suspects the coaches and the guys in front might know something the commentator doesn’t,about the Poly players.
  • Polydad

I was at the game live, never heard the telecast. Was it these guys? These are the regular announcers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kou4Oay-c_U
  • Riveraggie
    Those are the guys. The color guy kept saying Davis was playing without a safety and that they had to throw. He said that repeatedly in the 1st half. Also wanted more runs outside the numbers
  • BlueGoldAg
    I felt like the Poly announcers were extremely frustrated with the offensive decisions that Poly was making and were doing everything in their power not to scream at the top of their lungs about it and end up getting fired... :yikes:
  • Polydad

Every CP opponent crowds the line of scrimmage against us none as severely as Davis. The frustration for most of us was we didn't even attempt any passes to try and back the Aggie defense up a bit.
  • Riveraggie
    what gives? Why would they not? They’ve thrown effectively in the past even as an option team. This QB incapable? Or were they just trying not to lose by 60?
  • Polydad

I have no idea, that's probably why so many of us are frustrated. Our quarterback is a decent passer and Koski catches most of the ones he touches.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Poly completed a few nice passes against us but continued to run the ball up the middle even when they were getting completely stopped most of the time...really mind-boggling. I did hear Walsh say that when you average nearly 5 yards per carry, it's hard to abandon that strategy. The problem is that with the kind of inflexible mindset that the Poly offense has, once you they get behind by a couple of scores or more, they're going to be hard pressed to be able to get back in the game by grinding it out on the ground. Simply too one-dimensional...
  • Polydad

Exactly BlueGoldAg. When a team deploys the triple option they can't fall too far behind and must play good defense. We fell behind and continued to try and run into a stacked line. Our defense didn't play anywhere near well enough hence 52-10 and a record of 2-5. Made worse by the fact all five losses were to teams in the top 15 when we played them. NDSU #1, EWU #4, Weber #7, UCD #10 and Montana #15
  • Riveraggie
    Big Sky Statistics
    CalPoly gives up 9 yards per rush attempt.

RUSHING DEFENSE G Att Yards Avg. TD Yards/G
    1. Weber State 4 142 434 3.1 4 108.5
    2. Portland State 4 151 608 4.0 8 152.0
    3. Idaho State 4 153 711 4.6 6 177.8
    4. UC Davis 4 203 731 3.6 6 182.8
    5. Northern Arizona 4 165 737 4.5 9 184.2
    6. Montana State 4 166 754 4.5 13 188.5
    7. Eastern Washington 4 214 777 3.6 5 194.2
    8. Northern Colorado 5 231 1087 4.7 16 217.4
    9. Idaho 5 209 1247 6.0 7 249.4
    10. Cal Poly 4 113 1027 9.1 10 256.8
    11. Southern Utah 4 168 1031 6.1 9 257.8
    12. Montana 4 233 1124 4.8 11 281.0
    13. Sacramento State 4 206 1552 7.5 18 388.0
  • Polydad

CP defense is a poor tackling unit, to say the least.
  • Riveraggie
    If we had coach Walsh’s philosophy we wouldn’t have bothered to pass.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Coach Gould's conservative approach didn't work very well for us so I would hate to imagine where we'd be if the Aggies followed Walsh's philosophy... :yikes:
1910111213Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!