• Goags20172
    Found this just today. I didn't know about all of the changes, so this was interesting.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.greeleytribune.com/2020/07/21/northern-colorado-baseball-will-shorten-travel-reduces-costs-when-program-leaves-wac/amp/

Northern Colorado is leaving for the Summit League ( for baseball only) in 2022. Cal State Bakersfield is of course coming to the Big West.

Chicago State eliminated their program altogether.

Dixie State and Tarleton State join the WAC.

This is pretty big conference shake- up. It seems to me this makes it quite a bit more challenging for Sac State. They lose two very weak teams (UNC and Chicago State). It'll be hard for the new members not to be better than those two. Also, the hornets would probably have 1 trip to Texas every year (UTRGV or Tarleton State)

You know it's been a fairly weak conference.when a D- Ii team (Cal Baptist) can move up and almost win it their first year.

It made sense for Chicago State to bow out. They were severely over- matched in Division I baseball and had to travel a great deal for most games. They also don't really have a D- I facility either- just one small set of bleachers and no concessions, although they have lights.

In the COVID- 19 baseball boredom I went and looked at some college parks online. The weirdest park I saw was Seawolf Diamond, where former CCAA rival Sonoma State plays. Now it certainly offers some nice scenery but it's strange. No real stadium- just a backtop, a field and fences. You'd think they'd have a couple sets of bleachers but instead they have- box seats ? How strange it must be to sit in a box seat with your feet in the dirt.

Simpson College has an interesting story. Their stadium used to be at the Nut Tree. They bought it and had it delivered in pieces from Vacaville to Redding, where it was re- assembled. Apparently even the restrooms and dugouts were included.

For a bit of Aggie baseball trivia Travis Credit Union Park (the T- Cup) at the Nut Tree used to host a collegiate wooden bat league team called the Solano Thunderbirds, which were coached by Phil Swimley one season (2006 I think). Another former tenant was the Solano Steelheads professional team that relocated from Sacramento after 1 disastrous season. It was just as bad in Vacaville- the owner was terrible. Here's an article about that mess.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sfweekly.com/news/field-of-liens/&ved=2ahUKEwjTl-firufqAhUKHzQIHVCxDgcQFjARegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2CZw_L5pxL0rxEt1zXwd_W

The Sacramento Steelheads played one pre- season game at Community (now Dobbins) Stadium in 1999 after the UCD season ended, but apparently they forgot to arrange full access to the facility. There was no P.A. announcer, the concession stand wasn't open, and the scoreboard wasn't even turned on. I haven't shared this before but even the official scorer didn't know who the players were. But they still charged $5 admission.
  • 72Aggie
    I actually saw a Steelheads' game at the Nut Tree. All I remember was that one of the "promos" was a drawing that let the winner sit in a couch in the front row of the seats on the first base side. It was an independent league and I went with a family member who knew a guy who was on his last days as a player. He'd made it to AAA, but the writing was on the wall. He soon gave up playing, but I think is now a hitting coach in the bigs.
  • Goags20172
    How was the game experience ? That must not have been the game where the Steelheads' owner went on the field and got into a fight with former Giants' player Kevin Mitchell. An article I read said he then had a t- shirt promotion mocking Mitchell. Bush league stuff.

I remember after his senior season former Aggie catcher/outfielder Chris Stretch played in that same league briefly, and it might have been for the Steelheads. It was odd because the Western League advertised that they only wanted players with Division I or professional experience and he had neither (unless you count those non- conference mid- week games against the likes of Sac State and St. Mary's). It was probably that they urgently needed a catcher and he could play.

Anyway Stretch played very little, but his first (and maybe only- he got very little playing time so it's possible) professional hit was off of former A's pitcher Steve Ontiveros. Later that season Ontiveros signed a Triple- A contract with the Rockies, but somehow wound up with the Red Sox, with whom he returned to the majors for 3 games after he'd been away five years- at the age of 39.

Some independent league teams have rinky- dink operations but others are class acts, like the St. Paul Saints. They supposedly have a new and fancy ballpark with a baseball museum and high- end farm-to- fork options in their concession stands. Some of the affiliated teams don't do nearly so well. I was not impressed with the ballparks for the San Jose Giants and Boise Hawks. I was really put off by the Giants' experience. They were a little elitist there. I verified with one of the ushers where my seat was. Then when some of the richy- rich regulars showed up I saw that same usher point in my direction and speak to another usher, who came over and verified my ticket again, as if I couldn't possibly be of enough means to afford an $18 ticket in the section where their valued customers sat. In my opinion Excite Ballpark is one of those places you go for a different experience and then never feel much of an urge to visit again, like the entire city of Seattle. Some people love Seattle- don't see it.

USF has such a strange ballpark. I have no idea how left fielders avoid running into the scoreboard- why did they put it on the field ? I've never seen a ballpark where they have bleachers with attached chairback seats that have no stairs alongside to climb into them. And the bleachers are only along the 1st base side. The only seating on the third base side is at picnic tables where you can only sit if you're a big donor or something. Still a better experience than Excite.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!