• Goags20172
    Here is an interesting historical box score from a pretty significant Aggie win that I located on the ucdavisaggies.com website.. Check out who the losing pitcher was. Hint: he just signed a more than ridiculous free agent contract.

http://ucdavis_ftp.sidearmsports.com/custompages/sports/m-basebl/stats/2008-2009/feb22.html

This was also significant because UCD won less than a quarter of their games that season. It took COVID-19 to give them a season with fewer total wins.
  • Gunrock47
    cool find. The late Scott Heinig is also named in that box score. RIP
  • Goags20172
    I saw that too. His passing was very sad, magnified perhaps because he was from Davis, if memory serves. I do remember the athletics dept didn't find out until pretty late because when I left home that Sunday to go see the game vs Cal State Bakersfield it was still on, but when I arrived at the ballpark the gates were closed, and there weren't any sounds from inside.

There was one detail I wasn't quite clear on (or maybe forgot) and that was whether or not Heinig was a student at the time. He had finished his baseball eligibility in 2010, but that doesn't mean anything-many baseball players are on the 5-year graduation plan. However, it somehow seems more sad if he already had graduatef because he would have also had a job and co-workers missing him too.

There are quite a few coincidences in that box score. Each team had a Bauer and a Quist. Bauer pitched to Bauer and Quist pitched to Quist. Each team also had the son of a major leaguer who bore his. father's name (Eddie Murray and Michael Aldrete)

Too bad Aldrete and UCD didn't work out. He wound up transferring to a JC (where he also pitched successfully) and San Jose Stae, from which he was drafted (Phillies, I think). They had another player-Tyler Bremer-who pitched in a couple games then never again for UCD. He then resurfaced at a bigger program (Baylor, I think) and made it to Triple-A in the Marlins' organization.

I believe Trevor Bauer was a freshman at the time, meaning the Aggies handed him his first career loss. It might have also been his collegiate debut.
    I'll have to check into that.

When I look at the 2009 schedule I can see from the quality of the teams they were able to beat (UCLA, Pepperdine, Fresno State) that they had a lot of very talented players but just didn't really come together as a team. Rex Peters and his staff probably shouldn't have put together such an ambitious schedule after the 2008 playoff season knowing they were losing their entire pitching rotation, closer, catcher, and a few other key position players to graduation and the MLB draft.
    All the early season beatdown losses probably didn't help the chemistry of a team with so many freshmen.
  • Goags20172
    Perhaps the most impressive thing in this boxscore was the best Aggie pitching performance of the day was from Adam Bennett. He shut down the UCLA bats for 3 inningsso the Aggies could rally and tie it in the 9th. Bennett, like Phil Rasmussen (basketball) before him. was a pitcher who didn't join the baseball team until he was a 5th year senior. Bennett was a water polo player.
  • Goags20172
    Answering my own inquiry from above. Trevor Bauer's collegiate debut was against UC Davis, but it was the previous game. He picked up the save in relief of some bum no one's ever heard of named GERRIT COLE. It's funny when you think about it. In 2009 Cole and Bauer were the Sat. starter and closer, respectively for the Bruins. The Friday starter, Rob Rasmussen, didn't do much in the pros but the guys after him produced two 9 figure free agent contracts!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!