• Goags20172
    Since they just released the roster yesterday I've had little time to guess the starting lineup, so I'll just paraphrase some of what Bruce Galludet said in the Davis Enterprise and add some assumptions.

Looks like the same starting rotation from last season minus Wyatt Tucker (one of the few players not to return), so that's Bret Erwin, Jake Spillane, and Nolan Meredith. They'll need a 4th starter on weekends now. Hopefully it will be one guy and the game won't be treated like Tuesdays usually are, like an audition for several pitchers. That is part of the why (aside from their being on Tuesdays) Tuesday games are so poorly attended. Who wants to sit through a game with five or more guys pitching only one or two innings-that really drags. Part of the fun and excitement of baseball is watching two pitchers duel-not 10.If I had to guess the fourth starter it would be either Tim Wieser (he's been a Tuesday starter before) or True Freshman part II Nate Freeman. Last year he was one of the most dependable relievers and actually pitched the full equivalent of a start in the 24-inning game. Speaking of that game, all of LMU's runs were unearned. You play better defense, you finish in 9 instead of 24 and don't exhaust your best relievers so they're unavailable on Sunday (which the bullpen lost in ugly fashion).

Catcher he said will be true freshmanx2 Michael Campagna. Logan Denholm transferred to Sac State. COVID or not he was done playing baseball at UCD. Had the season been played in its entirety he would have used up his eligibility. Either he'd planned to go to grad school somewhere else all along or there wasn't a program at UCD that met his educational needs and allowed him to play baseball too. Sac State's media guide has him pencilled in as the starter at DH vs. ASU.

In the infield he mentioned Jalen Smith, Spencer Gedestad, and Kyler Arenado. Taking over at shortstop will be Arenado. Gedestad would be a logical choice at first, as Smith would be at second (although he played some CF last year). I could see Gedestad as the DH sometimes with Jonah Henrickson at first. No clue off the top of my head who's on third. Henrickson ? I'll pencil in Freshman TBA.

Since they've all returned the ancient (for college) outfield trio, we could well see Alejandro Lara,Cooper Morrison, and Colton Evans there.

Looks like only five players from 2020 didn't return. Jalen Smith will probably enjoy being able to be just "Smith" in the box score, since Justin Smith and Alec Smith are among the five.
  • Goags20172
    Well, they got a game in, though it got really ugly and they lost 11-1. I was following the game online but stopped when they brought in Ryan Rodriguez to pitch. I mean no disrespect to him or his ability. It's just that he only pitches when the coach has thrown in the towel and needs a mop-up man.

Brett Erwin started and only gave up 1 run, but he was a little wild and hit his pitch count in the 4th inning. Kaden Riccommini (sp ?) had an ugly pitching line (including the loss), but he was really impressive at times. Bailed Erwin out in the 4th but in the 5th gave up a couple of hits followed by a big fly. But then he retired at least the next six in a row before WSU scored again. He was left in there too long.

The Aggies could not buy a hit with runners in scoring position. Their only run scored on a passed ball. Still, Jalen Smith, Michael Campagna, and Colron Evans had good days at the plate.

Vaughn must have read my starting lineup guess and moved people around to make me as wrong as possible:

C:Campagna
    1B:Gedestad
    2B:Mico
    SS:Arenado
    3B:Smith
    LF:Evans
    CF:Morrison
    RF:Brandel
    DH:O'Boy

No Lara or Iverson in the lineup surprised me. I'd read Iverson had been really impressive in camp.
    So did O'Boy at DH hitting 5th.. He must have made amazing progress with the bat because he is not known for his hitting.

The man Campagna replaced at catcher debuted as the DH for Sac State. He went hitless, but so did most of the hornets. I don't plan on sharing Sac State game recaps frequently, just when our old friend Logan Denholm does something noteworthy. He was a very good Aggie. It took a leg injury and a pandemic to get him across the Causeway. Apparently the Hornets are spitting on the travel recommendations and spending their first weekend playing in Phoenix, where they had a wild finish tonight. ASU held a 2-0 lead, and had only allowed 3 hits, but with 1 out in the 9th Sac State's regular catcher hit a grand slam and then the hornets' closer slammed the door. The Sun Devils have to be bewildered as to what happened
  • Goags20172
    I was very surprised to read that. I had turned off the game tracker when they went behind late.

The people who attended that game for the first time yesterday might have been duped into thinking the team is good, but they're 6-19 ! I have a lot of ideas on why the team is so bad this year, but this will require a 2 hour sit-down to type out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!