• Goags20172
    It isn't crazy that UCD went 13 in the opening series against WSU considering safety protocols have kept them from getting their normal slate of practices in.

What is crazy is the ever-changing enigma that is Sac State's baseball schedule. First, they were supposed to visit UCSB but the Gauchos pulled out and they were prepared to play nobody, until right before opening day and suddenly they're headed to Phoenix (not Tempe..they play their games at Phoenix Muni, across from the zoo). Now today they announce today they're cancelling a UOP series because of COVID-19. Maybe the Tigers got it while practicing armed robbery dry-runs ? That sounds completely ridiculous but it wasn't so many years ago Pacific had players arrested for armed criminal activity, so who knows anymore ? What are we going to do with Ugly Old Potatoes ?

So what does Sac State do ?In a matter of a few hours they convince Texas State to come in for 3. The Bobcats weren't even scheduled to be in CA this weekend ! At the rate we're going there might be a Causeway Classic after all. And finding new opponents mid-season is tougher considering you can't even schedule D-Ii punching bags..the CCAA cancelled its season. Not this weekend though. Portland U. is far enough from downtown that the players can avoid the mass ridiculousness there.

1-3 is not a good start for the Aggies, but I saw a lot to like in the first series. Three of the four starting pitchers pitched well, and it was the #4 guy (Nolan Meredith) who did the best. The bullpen altogether had an ugly weekend, but there were some real standouts too, like Nathan Peng's six strikeouts in three innings. Looks like Nate Freeman may be the new closer. Not a great first save attempt, but he was left in there too long.

They whooped on the Cougars on Game 4, which illustrates my previous point that most teams' pitching is not that deep and they can take advantage of those kinda-iffy starters they'll face on Sundays. All they have to do is make sure their starter is slightly less terrible than the other guys'.
    In my twenty+ years of Aggie baseball I have to say most of their high-scoring victories they seem to save for Sundays.

I kept looking for Alejandro Lara in the box score, but it appears he's not on the roster anymore-a late scratch. I would not be surprised if he opted out of the season out of caution due to his recent health concerns. I would've done that too.

Vaughn used lots of different combinations, including four different catchers. Plenty of offense from guys like Smith, Campagna. Arenado. Some interesting versatility too. Looks like Smith has already played 2B,3B,CF. Peng and Carrion have both pitched and played an additional position. Despite the returning seniors UCD doesn't have a big roster. They don't have a ton of grad students on the roster like USF and Santa Clara.

I like the potential of the pitching staff, particularly the potential of the returning freshmen like Carrell, Riccommini, and Freeman. Good group. If they could only manage to get the starters and bullpen to pitch well on the same day..
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!