• BlueGoldAg
    I've seen this refereeing crew before and the guy with the white hair is maddening and whistle happy...
  • DrMike
    Up to 20. Over. All things considered, getting to the semifinals is an accomplishment. Would have been easy to lose this team, especially after getting beat up at San Diego after the layoff
  • DrMike
    the guy who looks like Frank Reagan’s aide on Blue Bloods?
  • BlueGoldAg
    That's him! :lol:
  • quadshock
    Peppers just got wacked, no call
  • Toke69
    Does anyone know how the NCAA extension of eligibility is going to work for next year? For example, do players who have already used a redshirt year get another one? If a player is able to graduate and cannot get into a grad program get another year? I'm thinking about whether guys like McLaughlin and Taze Moore of CSUB will be around next year? How about Koehler?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Rough game. I need a drink
  • Toke69
    I can't recall any game where three players on the same team fouled out in regulation.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I already had one...now I'm getting another!
  • MTBAggie
    Edit, "I need another drink." ;-) Congrats to UCSB. My brother-in-law gets to gloat. The (much) better team won tonight.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think Les got about as much as you can get out of the talent that he has which is typical of Les and his staff. We just aren't consistently at the level of UCSB and Irvine year to year. Generally, both of those teams have a couple of players who could be playing in a power conference and that makes a big difference against the rest of the league.

I think the bright spot tonight was seeing the progress that Anigwe has made. We need his size and athleticism in the paint. Otherwise, there wasn't much to write home about. We played hard but just don't match up well with UCSB. The Gauchos are just more talented than us.
  • MTBAggie
    Yep. Although, I'm pretty let down that UCSB was able to shut Manjon down so hard. 5PM tomorrow!
  • Zander
    Given everything this year, 10-8, a top half finish, and a trip to the semis is not a bad result at all. This program is far above the level it was at back when I first started at Davis
  • tokyoag
    Any chance we get to play in a postseason tournament? (Besides NCAAT or NIT)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Not really. The NIT will be held in Dallas with only 16 teams this year and the CIT has been canceled. I don't know of any others.
  • BlueGoldAg
    "I want to congratulate UCSB, they showed why they are the No. 1 seed. They are a talented team who played well tonight," said UC Davis head coach Jim Les.

"We just looked mentally and physically tired tonight and did not have our usual pop. I am not sure if that is due to yesterday's game with the energy we expended to advance to the semis, or if this was a culmination of a season that took a toll on this team."

"I told everybody after the game that I could not be more proud of a group of young men who fought through a number of adverse and unique situations. They stayed together, continued to work and did everything we asked them to do. For that, I am extremely proud of them."

"From the bottom of my heart, I was so proud with the way they handled this year with all the things that were thrown at them. They showed a great attitude and a great desire to compete the entire time. This season did not end the way we wanted it to end, but there were a lot of positives that took place this season and the future is bright with this group."

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/3/12/mens-basketball-anigwe-and-squire-post-career-highs-in-big-west-championship-semifinal.aspx
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I don't mind losing, and UCSB certainly has high level talent and deserved to win, but I just wish we could have played to our max. Not saying it would have made a difference in the outcome, but it would have been more enjoyable to watch. I guess my biggest concern is that this is basically the team we are going to have next year (and probably the year after that). Sure, some pieces may shift, maybe some underclassmen make some leaps (like Ba did this year...we clearly missed his outside shooting down the stretch), and we have a 6'6" wing freshman coming in next year, but it just doesn't seem likely that we can breach the talent divide between us and the top teams.

On the other, more optimistic side, this team endured a lot this season, which I'm sure stunted some growth, this was the first time in the tournament for most of these players, and we still finished in the top half of the league. Give the staff a full year of working with the team, implementing different schemes on both ends, and maybe we can give it a good run next year.
  • movielover
    Tough to compete w UCSB and Irvine when we recruit and use only token Bigs. Notice the free throw differential. I don't see any new schemes, it appears Coach Les is running the same perimeter offense he implemented at Bradley. (When he first arrived he didn't use a different system to suit the talent he had.) He didn't use Bozner, who may have bucked the micro management. PF Logan Strom transferred out.

It's live and die by the perimeter game. We'll occassionally land a Corey Hawkins or Chima Moneke, but talented long wings go Pac 12. And no one wants to go the Long Beach State route. Little players like TJ Shorts, a warrior, get ground down.
  • DrMike
    I don’t think I’d put Storm in that group. Sounded like he was homesick and wanted a change - hence the change to Weber football.

I think a problem we have is recruiting in SoCal. Being the lone NorCal team in the conference, it’s not easy to persuade a big guy to come to us, when there’s so opportunities to stay near home and play
  • Oldbanduhalum
    And I do think that Les changes his offense in subtle ways to suit the talent. For instance, this year we ran almost entirely weaves and picks that lead to drives. Last year, with Money and Gonzo, you saw a lot more down picks to set up open threes. Yeah, still perimeter oriented, but different based on the skills. And when Chima was here, you saw a lot more post ups. I think, given a summer to work out, we'll see a little more diversity (I'm thinking more Anigwe, and I bet we see more of Murphy's skill set). Don't get me wrong, it's still Manjon's team (and defense will be paramount), and Pepper will be the #2 offensive option, I just think that we'll be better able to deal with those times when the drive is cut down.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Watching and listening to Pasternack in the post-game interview gives you a glimpse into his personality. He's not even remotely present in the interview and doesn't even listen to what Amadou Sow has to say. After a perfunctory statement about UC Davis is he spends the whole time actively engaged in texting and then reading the stats page.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!