• Riveraggie
    how about points? Do they count?
  • DrMike
    those were both big opportunities. First would have got us on the board or up 10-0 (can’t recall); last would have sealed the deal.
  • BlueGoldAg
    “It’s all about how you finish at this point, but this is a great opportunity for us,” Hawkins said. “I like where we are and how our guys have responded all year. They expect to win, but they’re not devastated by a loss or overconfident with a win.”

Hawkins did say that redshirt freshman Miles Hastings will take over the starting quarterback role from Hunter Rodrigues.

Hastings was impressive in his first start two weeks ago at Cal Poly when he hit 28 of 34 pass attempts for 210 yards and two scores in a 24-13 win.

Noted UCD offensive coordinator Cody Hawkins, “Miles deserved to play and he played well. I’ve always said he could start for a number of teams and we’re very confident when he’s
    in there.

“We just hadn’t been very efficient throwing the football and hadn’t been getting the results we wanted. Hunter was disappointed, obviously, but we know he’s going to contribute
    going forward.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/uc-davis-football-ready-to-fend-off-northern-arizona/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=db00234847-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-db00234847-171004309
  • BlueGoldAg
    Said UC Davis defensive coordinator Matt Coombs of NAU QB Martinez, “He’s an impressive player. He makes good decisions, moves well and can throw the ball on the run. He’s going to be a lot to handle in both the pass game and the run game. We’ll have to play really well to shut these guys down.”

The Lumberjacks also have a solid ground game behind true freshman running back Kevin Daniels, a 6-2, 225-pound bruiser who has rushed for 745 yards with two scores and a 6.2-yard per carry average.

The Walkup Skydome is 6,880 feet above sea level, the highest FCS stadium in the country and the second-highest overall behind the University of Wyoming’s War Memorial Stadium in Laramie, which sits at 7,220 feet.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/uc-davis-football-ready-to-fend-off-northern-arizona/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=db00234847-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-db00234847-171004309
  • DavisAggie
    Of course. NAU put up 7 against S. Dakota, 10 against UNC, and 0 against Sac St. They've had trouble against competent defenses and have feasted against bad ones
  • Riveraggie
    Hey I’m not disputing that. Just pointing out that our three games are against the three most productive offenses. I didn’t say they were unbeatable.
    Our schedule this year has been easier than usual and we’ve sometimes been playing teams that had offensive shortcomings. Not the case these last three games.
  • Riveraggie
    How lame of the enterprise story to say Cal Poly was Hastings’ first start.
  • agalum
    The elevation factor always worries me for teams coming from sea level. Add the limitation on the size of the traveling team which might decrease available substitutions and the guys can wear down. Lets hope we can jump on the lumberjacks early and maintain a positive time of possession to keep our D rested.
    Some years ago someone, i think a former coach, commented on the strategy of dealing with high elevation fields. As i recall, it was counterintuitive in that you wanted your athletes to be at the higher elevation for a short time prior to game time. My guess would have been longer to allow for acclimation but apparently thats not the case.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nothing up yet on the Aggie website about the game. No article about the game and no game notes...nothing...kind of lame if you ask me...
  • NCagalum

“Hastings was impressive in his first start two weeks ago at Cal Poly when he hit 28 of 34 pass attempts for 210 yards and two scores in a 24-13 win.”

I would say Hastings did conservatively well, but 6 yards an attempt is likely why the completion percentage is high. Also the statement of this being his first start is incorrect - he started at Idaho and TT was brought in to shake things up. If Hastings had half the escapability of Rodrigues I wouldn’t be as concerned, but with no real threat of a run and limited escapability, others are going to really have to step up. Not knocking Hastings, but I am beginning to wonder if it’s some sort of personality thing with Cody Hawkins. I don’t view it so much as “deserving” to play as much as it is who is going to give you the best chance to win. I just think that as the Ags get to these money games and possible playoffs that the Ags will need Rodrigues.
  • NCagalum
    I would have expected Bob Dunning to get the facts straight. He was at the Idaho game.
  • Riveraggie
    They’ve got a link to the game notes on the schedule. But still lame. They are now not promoting road games, it seems.
  • Riveraggie
    There is a tendency with coaches to play the guy who can execute the game plan in a predictable manner, and not throw crazy interceptions.
    Hastings has been reliable at doing what he does. Is that the right call? Maybe not. But Hastings has won the two games he started and also managed the game winning drive against Weber.
  • NCagalum
    well I can see your point about predictability - and I do recall 1 “crazy” interception, but HR interception rate is still less than MH (albeit close) and I would say that TT (and crew) won the Idaho game as the Ags were behind when he replaced Hastings.

Not trying to be contrary, but I am just not seeing/feeling it in this home stretch situation at QB. I believe the teams that make a run in the playoffs will have strong quarterbacks - EWU and Sac State QBs have that. I will say that the Aggie D has been good and consistent this year and that goes a long way. Funny that at 7-1 and beating an FCS school I (and maybe some others) are not feeling super confident now about getting into playoffs let alone making a run in them. Hope I am wrong - and I think the odds are still they get in.
  • Riveraggie
    I share your concern. I like the way Sac has handled multiple QBs. They change them in the middle of drives and don’t have a controversy. We should do something similar.
  • movielover

I think by now we know we'll need all 3, and MH appears more mobile than JM.
  • CA Forever
    Alright Aggies, let's go get that W!
  • agalum
    Good intermediate test today before we jump into the fire. Go Ags!
  • NCagalum
    Think Ags might need some “magic” today. I know CJ Hutton is solid, but I think getting TT in at flanker or similar and get him the ball in space could be an important weapon - especially with no real run potential at QB. If he gets a scoring run, let’s hope he doesn’t do this…

https://youtu.be/LVl8WCpu_aY
  • movielover
    Hoping for the best from all of them. Hastings did an excellent job, considering it was his second start. Now he's had 2 weeks with the 1s, and I surmise we'll see a few more medium range passes.
  • DrMike
    We really need a clean game from the offense. Eliminate the bad penalties, no drops, no negative plays. Those have been the things that keeps the offense from getting on a roll. Poly was frustrating that way. Looked like we’re ready to put things away, then it’s 2 and 20, and we stall
  • movielover
    +1 And special teams.

Go Ags!
  • Southendzonefan
    Looks like an Aggie desert at the Walkup. Anyone here?
  • agalum
    What’s the trick to sync the 1140 broadcast with the espn+ broadcast? Stop video?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Got the storm trooper look going today.
  • CA Forever
    Wow bad defense
  • NCagalum
    Blown coverage
  • Toke69
    Not a good way to start a game
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!