• movielover
    FCS playoff on the line for both programs.

Seeding on the line.
  • DrMike
    I’m pretty sure we’re both in, especially Sac (no worse than 2nd in conference), but big for seeding. Winner gets a seed, other is playing after Thanksgiving.

Biggest Causeway in decades?
  • movielover
    Biggest in over 15 years.
  • movielover
    From Hornet board:

"In terms of biggest Causeway yet. Would agree this one is biggest. Last big Causeway would have to be 1988 when I believe both teams entered at 8-2. 10,000 crammed the old, quaint Toomey Field at UCD and the Ho Ho Hornets won the game by 3. Then played again in the playoffs and beat Davis by 14 that year."
  • 72Aggie
    I recall that in the 1988 game the Band-Uh's pregame show included a bit where every band member who was not yet born the last time Slack beat Davis sat down. That would have been October of 1969 and the streak had reached 18 years. A LOT of Band-Uh members were sitting down.

Ah, good times.
  • DrMike
    most of the games during that streak weren’t too close, at least in last 10 or so. 1982 they came to Toomey 8-1, Davis 9-0. Big game in the rain, locally televised on KOVR. Lots of hype about ‘biggest game in years’

51-6 final.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I remember that show. I was one of the few still standing.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There's a very good article by Bob Dunning in Tuesday's Enterprise that covers a lot of the history of the rivalry between these two schools:

This is the annual rivalry game that began when Dwight David Eisenhower (I Like Ike) was president and Davisites were driving tractors instead of Teslas.

As I have noted here previously, while the Hornets can’t match UC Davis’ long-ago 18-game win streak in this series, they did remain for years as the only four-year school in college football history to defeat UC Davis twice in the same season. Until, of course, Eastern Washington accomplished the same feat in 2018.

Sac State made it happen in 1988 when the Hornets ended those 18 years of Causeway futility with a come-from-behind, heart-stopping, last-second, 31-28 win on Toomey Field. The winning score came when quarterback Bryan Pendergast hit Mark Young with a short pass, then Young turned the corner and raced past everyone to complete a 53-yard touchdown play.

I remember it all so well, as thousands of green-and-gold clad Hornet fans poured out of the east bleachers and danced on the sacred Toomey Field turf until someone finally turned off the lights.

The long and painful hex removed, the Hornets followed that up two months later with a much more workmanlike 35-14 win in the first round of the NCAA Division II playoffs.

Oddly, 1988 was the last season that Jim Sochor coached the Aggies and it was the only time he lost to the Hornets (twice, actually) after 18 straight wins.

During one five-year stretch, the series became absolutely non-competitive, with Aggie wins of 38-3, 34-0, 28-0, 39-0 and 32-7. Later, the Aggies posted back-to-back wins of 51-6 and 52-14.

In fact, the streak became so long and so dominant that Sochor once said “It’s not a rivalry until they beat us.”

More here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/news/local/dunning/bob-dunning-time-for-a-truly-classic-matchup/
  • 72Aggie
    In 2009, shortly before former Hornet coach Bob Mattos passed away the Causeway game was at Sac and when the Slack State team came out before the game each of their jerseys bore the name "MATTOS." http://www.egcitizen.com/sports/notebook-sac-state-football-honors-mattos/article_cd3776b6-48a3-564f-a621-73053f135faa.html

Would not be surprised Saturday to see a similar tribute to Knapp. They have dedicated the season to him.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That would be a great thing for them to do in his honor.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!