• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies make what has become an annual trek over to Maples Pavilion to play #3 Stanford tonight at 7 pm. The Cardinal is by far the best team the Aggies have faced this year and it will take a superlative effort by the Ags to keep this game competitive. However, like Jim Les told his team before the game at Oregon State last night, "opportunity," and that's exactly what this will be for the Lady Ags...an opportunity to step up and play well against one of the most storied programs in all of women's college basketball history.

SERIES NOTES: According to records dating back to the 1971-72 campaign, Stanford leads the all-time series with UC Davis by a 15-10 count, having won the last 14 in a row dating back to a 61-54 Aggie victory in 1978... This year marks the fourth straight regular season meeting -- and the fifth straight when you include the 2019 NCAA Tournament contest -- at Maples Pavilion, with the Cardinal winning, 67-55, in the last trip to Stanford in 2019... The Cardinal have won the last 12 meetings at Maples Pavilion, with UC Davis' last win in Stanford on Jan. 15, 1977, by the score of 71-35.

Note: the Aggies are currently ranked #15 in the latest mid-major poll. LB State is #14 and Gonzaga is at #4 and also received one first place vote. The Zags visit the Aggies Sunday, 12/19 at 2 pm.

https://collegeinsider.com/womens-mid-major-top-25

Live stream on the PAC12 Network at 7 pm.

Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Ags down 16-11 after 1. Defense has been strong but the offense is struggling
  • BlueGoldAg
    16-11 Stanford after the first quarter. Ags playing pretty well so far. Couple of defensive breakdowns and 5 TO's are the difference so far but not a bad start considering who they are playing.
  • MTBAggie
    About what I expected. 31-17 at the half.
  • BlueGoldAg
    31-17 Stanford at the half after a poor 2nd quarter by the Ags. Stanford's defense and length is bothering the Aggies. The Ags are putting up frantic shots and are only 1-12 from 3.
  • MTBAggie
    Terrible start to the 2nd half.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Some faint signs of life in the third after Hall got fouled an a three-pointer.
  • agalum
    Stanford D really tough. The ladies often live or die on the 3. It appears they’ve abandoned that idea and are going for inside shots.
  • BlueGoldAg
    47-30 Stanford after 3. Ags are 2-17 from 3. Hall and Stobbart are a combined 3-18 overall. Ouch!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags fall 68-42 which is not unexpected but I don't think Jen will be overly pleased with the sloppy play on offense. 16 TO's led that led to 20 Stanford points largely from ill-advised, telegraphed passes. Stanford's size and aggressive defense rattled the Ags for sure but many of the TO's were just poor passes by the Ags and we've seen a lot of TO's this season from the Aggies.

The Ags really need to focus on taking care of the ball and not shooting themselves in the foot. If you are consistently turning the ball over 15 to 20+ times a game, you will find yourself in trouble regardless of who you are playing.

Next up for the Aggies is Gonzaga and the Zags only lost to Stanford by 4 points and to Washington State by 2 points and both of those teams dominated the Aggies.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    absolutely agree. I don’t mind when Stanfords size and athelticism force turnovers, but when we throw the ball right to them over and over, it does get very frustrating. Stanford knows our offensive schemes so they play the passing lanes very well. We have to be able to alter the plays when needed.

Having said that, I did like the way Burns played. For a freshman she looked very comfortable on the court with the defending champs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, Burns is going to be fun to watch as she gains more experience. She makes some rookie mistakes at times but, for a true freshman at the point, she's impressive. Turner played hard as always and has a motor that doesn't ever slow down.

Unfortunately, Hall and Stobbart, who are the veteran leaders of this team, had a game I'm sure both would rather forget. Stobbart's 3 point shot has gone AWOL this season for some reason. They both play hard but they both also have a tendency to pause in frustration at times after they blow a shot or make a TO. They need to immediately forget it and get down the floor on defense. Stanford got out to a fast break buckets a couple of times when that happened.

I hope we play better against Gonzaga. I think the team will be hungry for an upset before heading into conference play.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Post-game comments from Stanford HC Tara VanDerveer:

“I liked the fact that we got 15 (offensive) boards,” Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer said. “We took care of the basketball well and that was the difference.”[/quote
    “Jen and her staff do a terrific job,” VanDerveer added. “It’s really challenging to play against a team that does what you do (offensively). And they do it really, really well.

“But what we tried to do was not allow them to shoot threes, especially in the first half. And we did that.”
    ]

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies/basketball-cardinal-overpower-aggie-women/
  • Russ Bowlus
    My wife ran into Jen at school pickup today: "too many mistakes" was her quick summary of the game.
  • DrMike
    that is such a Davis thing....i just don't see fans running into Geno Auriemma at school pickups! Coach Gross is a real gem.
  • BlueGoldAg
    My wife ran into Jen at school pickup today: "too many mistakes" was her quick summary of the game.Russ Bowlus

It must be even more frustrating for Jen than it is for Aggie fans. TO's have plagued this team this year and I don't think anyone expected that TO's and other mistakes would be such a big problem for such an experienced team. There's a lot of talent on this team and I don't think they are have been playing up to their capabilities yet this season. I hope Jen can get them on track soon.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!