• movielover
    Davis Enterprise
    Bob Dunning: Enthusiasm should continue to grow

"In my many decades of covering sports of all kinds, I don’t think I’ve ever heaped praise on a baseball team – or any team – that finished the season with just six wins and 35 losses.

"Today is the exception.

"The UC Davis baseball team, coming off a complete program suspension due to a serious hazing scandal last year, finished the season at 6-35, including 5-25 in the Big West Conference.

"Those are obviously not award-winning accomplishments but given the fact that many folks thought 0-41 and 0-30 were distinct possibilities before the season began, things finished much better than they started...."

It sounds like Coach Nicholson did a great job, and Dunning is predicting a .500 season next year.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bob-dunning-enthusiasm-should-continue-to-grow/
  • AggieFinn2
    As a baseball fan was disappointed with this article in that I thought Dunning could have given more supporting details that a person casually following the team wouldn't know. Investigative reporting, you know ?

For example the tryouts he mentioned. That's interesting, tell us more. Who are some of the unsung heroes who made the team out of these tryouts ? That's human interest stuff and it's good reading. For example, Nathan Lemos made the team this year after not playing since his freshman year, what's he been up to ? Playing club ball ? Concentrating only on studies ? Raul Sandoval is graduating after 1 year playing for UCD following 3 playing at the JC. People generally don't graduate 1 year after transferring from a JC so was he at UCD as a student in 2021 and just answered the call to arms (call to baseball gloves ?) as a 5th year senior ? This is the kind of stuff that can inspire people.

And the other part about predicting a .500 or better finish next year, I'd like to know more about his reasons for saying that. I'm not looking to refute them. I would just like to know more about his reasons for optimism so I can feel more optimistic. Without exciting new information I see the 2023 team just doubling or tripling their win total, which would be in line with some of the recent seasons under Vaughn. This team hasn't hasn't had a full-season with a .500 or better record since 2015, and those were teams with full rosters and crops of recruits. So what's he basing that on ? Freshman standouts like Wolbert, Green, Leehey, and Seeman ? Specific exciting new recruits ? That he thinks Nicholson & Co will do a better job ? Kind of left us hanging there, Bob.
  • AggieFinn2
    There was really a treasure trove of interesting background stories about this year's baseball team members. UC Davis really had a chance to market this "Bad News Bears" season to attract more interest and support for the program. It kind of missed the boat.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!