• Toke69
    Is anyone else interested in filing some kind of formal complaint to ESPN about how they messed up the broadcast yesterday? Either that or making some kind of inquiry as to how it happened and how likely it is that it will happen again.
  • NCagalum
    ESPN is owned by disney (who yanked their channels from dish and sling on a college football game day). If it isn’t making them more money or hurting their competition they don’t care. What they have done in the past with similar situations is put the subsequent game on ESPN news until the prior game finishes. I don’t know if they did that in this case.
  • DavisAggie
    You mean how the prior game went over? That happens all the time
  • Toke69
    Yes, I do know that networks often need to allow a game to be finished before they switch to a subsequent game. I'm old enough to remember the famous "Heidi" incident when NBC cut from the end of a Jets-Raiders game in which Oakland came back to win and no one got to see it because a Shirley Temple movie was scheduled. Ever since then, networks do not switch from the end of one game to the start of another on the same channel. However, on a "regular" (i.e non-streaming) channel of ESPN, they will often alert the expectant viewers of a later game to a different ESPN channel if the earlier game is running over. I do not know how many channels ESPN+ has, but I am sure they could have switched it if they card enough, but as NCagalum has written, they don't. I am not even sure why they moved the Aggie's to ESPN3. Anyone know?
  • Riveraggie
    I think the conferences like to have their games in cable packages, so it’s something they seek in negotiations, This game was scheduled that way since June.
    https://bigskyconf.com/news/2022/6/28/two-big-sky-football-games-to-air-on-espn-linear-networks-this-fall.aspx
  • Toke69
    Thanks, but I'm still not convinced that they couldn't have been more flexible and probably would have been if we were a larger fan base. Can't see them ever doing this to a Notre Dame or USC.
  • agalum
    I was on the app on my firebox and the game was there, but kept posting “eveny has not started.” Davis aggie, did you get the game at the start?
  • Riveraggie
    That’s right, probably low on their priority list, I think moving the came to a different package is kind of a rip off, or to be more polite an incentive for people to buy more. Since they’re squeezing fans for money they should deliver.
  • DavisAggie
    no because the prior game ran over
  • Zander
    I assumed there was a technical glitch going on because the ticker on the Cincinnati/Tulsa game straight up said that the UCD game was streaming, when it in fact did not seem to be.

Totally agree that we were getting the short end of the stick because we're a smaller profile school and fanbase. But that's also frustrating and a bit circular, because what was at stake here was literally this team's main opportunity to get a national TV audience and therefore build its profile. By the time our game was on ANY platform, it was 10:40 East Coast time and basically just a regionally broadcast game at that point.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!