• AggieFinn2
    https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2023/2/16/baseball-opens-2023-season-with-utah-valley.aspx

A more detailed preview than we usually get. I'm glad they had a baseball guy like J.D. Mico available to do the write up- he writes with enthusiasm wheras previous writers have taken a rather minimalist approach.

I wonder if UCDGreg took our earlier discussion topic and made it happen ?
  • madcityscott
    Agreed, great write-up. Looking forward to the season!
  • AggieFinn2
    I'm guessing from the write-up that this is the lineup, but we'll find out for sure in a couple hours. No clue about the batting order.

Catcher: Jack Gallagher-Jr, no, DH
    First Base: Joey Wright-Fr., no,SS
    Second Base: Theo Forshey-Jr, no,1B
    Shortstop: Alex Gouveia-Jr, no, 2B
    Third Base: Nick Leehey-So, no, right field
    Left Field: Mark Wolbert-So, no, center field
    Center Field-Damian Stone-Jr, no, left field
    Right Field-Nick Iverson-Jr-no he was at 3B
    Designated hitter: James Williams-Sr, no he was the C

Edit: Wow, I was way off here !. The coach even changed it up on JD.

And our current rotation is:
    Nate Freeman-Jr
    Bryan Green-So
    Avery Thau-Fr
    Rowen Barnes-So

I would guess that Thau and Barnes are in competition for the Sunday start once conference play begins + the loser of that competition would be the Tuesday starter. I saw Green pitch last year and he looks like the real deal. Once he cuts down on his walks he should be the ace of the staff. There are some players who just look like pro prospects + he's one of them.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies fell in their opener against Utah Valley 8-1. There was a pretty nice crowd of 532. Hopefully, the Ags can get in the win column tomorrow in a double-header.

First game is at 11 am
    Second game starts at 2:30 pm

Go Ags!
  • AggieFinn2
    The bats were pretty quiet but what I hope doesn't happen is a completely different lineup tomorrow in Game 1. The opening day lineup was chosen because those players were the best, so no time to second guess. To some extent they do have to work in some subs with the doubleheader.

Now in the preview they referenced that Leehey 3B, 1B, and RF today) and Iverson (3B, 2B, RF) will play multiple positions-I wonder if this means the coach is planning to mix and match lineups to exploit lefty/righty match-ups at certain positions. If not there's not much reason for them to be moving around.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags picked up their first win of the season beating Utah Valley 4-2 in the first game of today's double-header.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We lost the second game of the double-header 7-1.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The bats finally came alive for the Aggies today as they scored 20 runs on 18 hits to beat Utah Valley 20-4 and gain a split in the 4 game series.
  • AggieFinn2
    Corrected: website write-up clarified why Barnes only pitched 2 innings..not a new injury
  • AggieFinn
    Rotation looks young, but I'm guessing talented. These upcoming home games with Santa Clara might get rained out.
  • AggieFinn2
    Saturday weather report says clear Saturday
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!