• AggieFinn2
    I was thinking about diversifying my sports watching at UC Davis. I saw at least one game in several different sports when I was a sudent:

Baseball
    Football
    Basketball (men's and women's)
    Soccer (men's and women's)
    Water Polo
    Volleyball
    Softball
    Gymnastics

The one I had some interest in but never saw was lacrosse. I wonder if anyone on the board has watched a game at UCD and be so kind answer these questions:

Is it fairly exciting or stop and go and stop again like football or baseball ?

How much are tickets ?

Can you sit wherever you want ? The crowds seem to be about baseball game-sized from the box scores I've read. In the football stadium the place must be very empty.

Do they sell food and drink or is it bring your own stuff ?

And it would appear their schedule mostly overlaps baseball's Oh well, I can take a game off if needed.

Thanks !
  • Jackbacker2
    I have been to 7 games over the years, as part of family and friends.

The cool part is that I saw THE Ohio State, USC and Oregon play at Aggie Stadium. The games are free and the crowds are generally pretty small, again family and friends. You can sit wherever. I found it is better higher up to get a flow of the game. The game has some static points as they try to set up attacking positions around the goal. There is no checking like Mens' lax which I miss..

Bring your own food. Some years I have enjoyed the music during pregame and halftime other times I could not stand it.

The Aggies have been good in MPSF with Fresno State and San Diego and a few times we have been run out of the stadium from an East Coast school.

I like women's lacrosse a fair amount, much better than field hockey but way less than softball, water-polo or women's bb.
  • 72Aggie
    I have not watched a game at Davis and in fact have never watched a live college level game for men or women. The action is much more like every field sport except American gridiron football in that, in theory anyway, play is continuous. Think soccer and rugby, or ice hockey on turf.

This is a good time to catch some lacrosse on TV as the NCAA tournament is in progress. There is a final four set-up on Saturday and Monday of Memorial Day weekend. Not sure about the women's schedule or whether any of it is televised.

Women's game is supposed to be a little "safer" than the men's because there is not supposed to be any "checking." I believe women are required to wear protective eye-wear.

Next year UCD and San Diego State join the Pac 12 (?) as affiliate members for women's lacrosse. They had been playing in the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation, but the MPSF dropped lacrosse when the Pac 12 began to sponsor it. I believe Fresno State dropped it.

According to some lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in American high schools. There are local HS leagues in Northern California.
  • AggieFinn2
    Thank you both. Sounds like it's worth seeing at least 1 game.
  • 72Aggie
    Should you ever go to a field hockey game, explain it to me.
  • 72Aggie
    Northwestern and Boston College will play for the women's D1 lacrosse title on Sunday morning (May 28) at 9:00 on ESPN.

And Notre Dame plays Duke for the men’s title on Monday at 10:00, also on ESPN.
  • SimonM21
    The one I had some interest in but never saw was lacrosse. I wonder if anyone on the board has watched a game at UCD and be so kind answer these questions:

Is it fairly exciting or stop and go and stop again like football or baseball ?
    AggieFinn2
    I never had much interest in lacrosse. I didn't like it, it seemed like a boring game. You wrote, so I decided to google the game. The first thing I found was a wikipedia page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse that said: lacrosse was played in the 12th century. And who played it? Native north americans, i.e. indians.
    Columbus must have asked them what games they played in the 12th century :)
  • AggieFinn2
    I saw some of that men's title game. It seemed like the crowd was very energized but the excessive celebration and music after every single play was a bit nauseating. It's that sort of thing that turns me off ofattending sporting events (that and poor play, looking at you, baseball), but I will still give UCD women's lacrosse a try if for no ther reason than trying something new.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!