• BlueGoldAg
    College Sports Madness Poll: Aggie #10 (click on the images to enlarge them)

3uwdh0mu718s9ic1.png
    g1wvk3arkjfrka4r.png

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/fcs-football/top-25-rankings
  • movielover
    I don't understand Sac rising in the polls, and Delaware dropping. Go Ags.
  • agalum
    10 is OK with me. Top 5 are tough teams. Weber must have got the bump based on history. It doesn’t look like they are as deep this year.
  • DrMike
    Weber takes on James Madison before us; that’s a big test. Sac takes in Northern Iowa and that’s a big test.
  • Zander
    Voters didn't watch the Sac game I'm assuming
  • agalum

Not sure how good N. Iowa is this year, but I like the program and it looks like they played Iowa tough.
  • DrMike
    good physical defense; usually good enough offense to win.
  • Zander
    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/stats-perform-fcs-top-25

#14 in STATS poll. Can't read too much into early polls but this does feel like a bit of disrespect towards the Ags considering MSU, Weber, and Eastern seem to be given much more deference for their vs FBS performances. I'm not sure UCD is actually better than 5th in Big Sky at the moment, but certainly has better than the 5th best resume
  • Riveraggie
    What is the criteria? Are thes polls supposed to reflect accomplishments to date, or a forward looking projection of where these teams will finish, or something else?
    If it’s accomplishments to date we should be right after Montana. If it’s projecting how teams will do when or if they play, most won’t pick us ahead of Weber or Eastern because we lost to them a couple of months ago. So best we could reasonably expect is to be above Montana State.
    Polls are relatively meaningless after one game
  • DrMike
    i saw one of the web services had both a poll AND a projected playoff schedule! we would open v. Montana State. crazy.
  • CA Forever
    Just got to keep on winning
  • Riveraggie
    We’ve got a good schedule this year. All winnable games but some opportunities to get the always loses to ranked teams monkey off our back.
    We’ve already defeated the toughest team on our schedule, and if we play consistently we should end with a good record.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We’ve already defeated the toughest team on our scheduleRiveraggie

I think the jury is still out on how good Tulsa really is. They were certainly big on their lines with very athletic LB's and their RB was a load for sure but I wasn't impressed with their QB. They were also very inconsistent and really did shoot themselves in the foot with mistakes and penalties.

I'll be curious to see how they do as they continue. Maybe Ohio State will only beat them by one point when they play because that would mean we're better than OSU! :rofl:
  • movielover

Nice bonuses to playing on Thursday. Two more days rest, prep, maybe more time for assistant coaches to see games live (Sac-Dixie)?
  • NCagalum
    no way Weber should be ranked higher than the Ags. Yes they lost to Utah, but I watched the game and they got shut down most game except for 100 yard k.o. return. They had a first and goal from the one and couldn’t score on 4 downs.

Anyway we’ll see.
  • Riveraggie
    One has to think they knew who they were going to suspend and compensated for it, but I heard somewhere they were playing with three week side linebackers to start the game. That and new corners this year.
    Even so, probably the best defense we will play. Not the best offense we’ll play this year but the most physical. I don’t think anyone has better running backs.
  • Riveraggie
    They aren’t ranking by how teams played this year, it seems like yesterday we played Weber and lost
  • NCagalum
    SDSU has a very good defense and deserves no. 1. It is clear to me to advance up the polls and advance in potential playoffs that a string defense is a must. This has held EWU back. They got worn down and blown out at NDSU last year and I’m watching their game against UNLV their defense will be problematic again. If Northern Iowa had an offense they would have won last week. They are always a contender due to their stout defense and good coaching. I think the Ags have shored up their defense (spring and fall) with more bulk in the middle and more depth. In my mind, this is the key as a good defense will most always keep you in the game. That and special teams (witness Tulsa) can be difference makers - without those two aspects, you are in big trouble against the better teams.
  • Riveraggie
    The Tulsa Oklahoma State game will be an interesting comparison for ranking UCD vs Missouri State.
  • CA Forever
    EWU always seems to have our number. They might end up being the most difficult game of the season including Tulsa. That being said, I think the Aggies have the capability to be competitive in every remaining game, it just comes down to if they are going to play up to that potential.
  • movielover
    Great that we have a bye before EWU and Sac.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot that Tulsa had 9 players suspended for the game. So they weren't at 100% full strength.

Regardless, the Aggie defense bent but didn't break and came up with the big play when they needed it and the offense kept grinding and did a very nice job of converting 3rd downs. There's a lot to look forward to with this team but I fully expect some very tough games against the usual suspects in the Big Sky.
  • DrMike
    they had 9 suspended. 6 for the game (4 starters, 3 on D) and 3 for half the game. not sure if the others sitting out were significant players or not.
  • cmt
    Guessing it's nothing more than Sac was ranked 25, they won, and teams above them lost so voters move them up.
  • cmt
    I'm guessing it's a combo of how you've looked so far and how good the voters thought you'd be coming into the year. This is the argument for waiting a few games to do a poll. Because preconceptions can cloud judgement. But people like polls and they like seeing "#3 vs #5" or whatever it may be to hype up a big game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It doesn't appear that the FCS fans over on anygivenday.com were that impressed with the Aggies win over Tulsa. They ranked us #12. Click on the images below to enlarge:

cgednu45f0xucrr9.png
    qw37irvqscbych70.png

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?279126-AGS-Poll-Results-Week-1-2021
    Attachments
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 1.55.37 PM (166K)
    Screen Shot 2021-09-07 at 1.58.05 PM (154K)
  • Russ Bowlus
    My read is that most pollsters are reluctant to jump teams a TON after one game. Given that UCD started in the 20s pre-season (I think?), a jump to 12 seems ok. There was some grumpiness about Montana's ranking, as well.

Caveat: there was a dude in the Big Sky pick'em that didn't know that Davis had played in the spring season, so it could just be that people are clueless. :lol:
  • Riveraggie
    it looks like these guys don’t give any extra credit to wins over FBS teams. Montana has most impressive win by far.
    How many more votes did we get under our alias, Cal-Davis?
  • NCagalum
    that site is populated by a ton of San Houston fans and others Midwest to east coast. Not much of a west coast presence (surprise surprise) so would carry somewhat of a geographical bias.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!