• NCagalum
    Sac is good. We will not beat them playlng like we have recently.
  • cmt
    Yeah, the last two weeks could be rough.
  • agalum

Yeah, I’m going to be traveling during that game. Bummed I’m going to miss it
  • Toke69
    For those not watching the broadcast, it is worth noting that Weber State upset Eastern Washington today.
  • Riveraggie
    Well,
    On the bright side, they got their number 1 QB back, and scored 13 points.
    And we played our backup qb and scored 24 with two second string linemen.
  • agalum

And we were “confused” all night.
  • CA Forever
    It wasn't pretty by any means, but a win is a win. Another week where the offense really didn't look spectacular but did just enough to win. I wonder if we are going to get a reason as to why Hunter wasn't playing. Gilliam ended up having a decent game and I'm happy for Hastings even if his game was just okay. The defense continued it's trend of bend don't break and only allowed the the 1 TD. I'm not gonna hold one of the FGs against them as CP started the drive in the red zone.

Last time I will bring it up, but those commentators might actually be the worst in the country. I'm not sure if I've ever heard worse. The one bozo had so many plays where he thought he was slick in diagnosing things only to be completely wrong. Painful to listen to in my honest opinion.
  • DrMike
    I believe at least 2 OL were out this week which may have contributed to the lack of consistency. Defense was okay, but we can’t get any pressure on QB. We had a couple drives where they were 3rd and long, and defense made errors (not tackling QB, missed tackle on WR) that left them with short 4th downs that were converted. They scored a TD after the first, I think FG after second. Those are big plays.

Fake punt was enormous. So was failed onside kick.

Good time to have a bye. Regroup, get healthy and ready for the home stretch. I expect Hastings to start next game. Not sure how well he can get the ball down the field, especially in the edges. Hard to drive 80 yards when we don’t pass more than 5 yards or so.
  • DrMike
    did they mention we were ranked #10?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I had to mute the cal poly announcers and turn Alexa to khtk. Much better!
  • Toke69
    I thought the offensive play calls by Cal Poly were often odd. Then I remembered that Beau Baldwin was the OC at Cal for a couple of years and that I thought the offense was conservative and unimaginative. He's clearly a good coach, winning an FCS title at EWU, but I wonder when he has his heavy back try to run an end around when he was clearly at his best bulling his way up the middle. Also, on more than a couple of third down and long attempts, the Mustangs ran the ball, even in the fourth quarter. The tunnel screens and put patterns didn't work very well either and I suspect it is because Brasch was not comfortable with those throws, but very good at rifling passes down the middle. If that's tru you'd think Baldwin would know that.
  • Riveraggie
    I saw Lamson on the sidelines, it didn’t look like we’ll be seeing him back in two weeks.

It would have been nice to see us put the ball away with a ground game, like Tulsa or Weber games, I don’t think Cal Polys D is better than those teams.

Gilliam had at least three significant loss carries in the first half, I don’t recall seeing that before. Larison and Tompkins also struggled more than usual. Probably due to injured linemen.
  • Riveraggie
    If these stats are correct, the only completion failures of the night were thrown toward Harrell. Amazing that seven guys caught everything thrown to them.

UC Davis Receiving
    # PLAYER NO YDS TD LNG AVG TGT C%
    87 CASTLES,M 6 65 0 14 10.8 6 100
    34 GILLIAM,JR 5 34 0 19 6.8 5 100
    0A HUTTON,CJ 4 22 1 10 5.5 4 100
    9 VAUGHN,KHRIS 4 19 0 8 4.8 4 100
    2 HARRELL,JARED 3 42 0 28 14 8 38
    1H TOMPKINS,TRENT 2 13 0 8 6.5 2 100
    5 THORPE,BLAKE 2 12 0 8 6 2 100
    6 CRAWFORD,C 2 3 1 2 1.5 2 100
    8 RECEIVERS 28 210 2 28 7.5 33 85
  • eastbayaggie
    "I saw Lamson on the sidelines, it didn’t look like we’ll be seeing him back in two weeks."

I'm not too familiar with traveling teams, but my impression is that you'll only bring the players who can play when needed due to limited space. If so, wouldn't bringing Lamson be a good sign?
  • Riveraggie
    If I watch the game again I’ll look more closely, but he wasn’t dressed to play. Not sure what he had on his legs but.not uniform pants.
  • Toke69
    I've never seen the Golden Horseshoe and can't find it on the web, even though Wikipedia has an article about it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_the_Golden_Horseshoe). Can someone please post a photo of it?
  • Zander
    neither of these are the current "official" one, which was recreated a few years ago after the original was lost or damaged or something.

Here's the one that started appearing a few years ago
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/files/2017/10/1029horseshoeW.jpg
  • CA Forever
    From the enterprise

Early in the week, Hawkins decided to give redshirt freshman Miles Hastings his first start at quarterback in place of regular starter Hunter Rodrigues.

“I love Hunter, but I felt like he was pressing a bit and I wanted him to relax and watch the game. It was just intuition to give Miles a start at this point,” said the Aggie coach.
  • DrMike
    During the broadcast they mentioned that Dixon was relaying plays even though he wasn’t suited. I think travel restrictions have eased
  • movielover
    Listened to the first 3 Qtrs on the radio. Hastings 20 of 21 in the first half. Did he look that good, or a lot of short dump off passes? (Still outstanding.)

Marsh & DK were alone on the opposite side of the field, no stats and no lighting (dark room?) for a while. Not sure why they couldn't pull stats off their smartphone. Who bumped them, ESPN?
  • CA Forever
    There was really very little passing deep downfield. Looking at the drive charts off ESPN most completed passes were for less than 10 yards, several less than 5. He is clearly less mobile than either Rodrigues or Tompkins and he took several sacks where he just didn't instinctually feel the pressure coming until it was too late (although the offensive line really wasn't doing him any favors in the first half especially).
  • movielover
    20 of 21 still impressive, especially with the OLine issues. I believe the radio crew was annointing Hastings our new starting QB after the first half. I believe they also said Thorpe may be our best WR.

Ball control offense / West Coast OK w me, especially if we start to mix in TEs and midrange passes.

If we don't have a clear starter, having 3 QBs with experience has advantages.
  • DrMike
    What nags at me about this game, and the last couple, add the little mistakes that keep us from developing momentum. Last night, lots of penalties, a couple bad ones that kept their drives alive. Several missed tackles that changed a 4th and long, into a first down or first and short. Fielding a punt on the one yard line, instead of taking the touchback - that one hurt because the running game was starting to wear them down and it looked like another scoring drive would seal the deal.

We really need to tighten that up. Not sure if our tackles will be back soon, but we could use them in pass protection. Hastings was very accurate, and didn’t make bad choices (although he gets a lot of balls batted down). I think 2-1 is the requirement and that’s not gonna be easy
  • movielover
    Not sure why he isn't aware of a defender in his face. Step away, or duck and run?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawkins regarding Poly and HR:

“They’re young and they play hard and they’ll continue to grow and get better. We’re happy to get the win. There aren’t many teams in America right now who are 7-1.”

“I thought he handled things well,” Hawkins said. “He had the one tipped pass that was intercepted, but otherwise, he ran the offense well.”

The ever-reliable Gilliam had 109 yards on 24 carries, the 19th 100-yard game of his stellar Aggie career. Gilliam, third on the UCD career rushing list, now has 3,269 career yards, just 56 yards behind No. 2 Preston Jackson. G.P. Muhammad is the all-time leader with 3,589 yards, but Gilliam is closing fast.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-keep-golden-horseshoe-corral-mustangs/
  • Riveraggie
    I’ve got to defend Hastings on the bated passes. One was a totally unblocked linebacker on a screen play where the play is designed for him to throw over that guy. The guy is just long and quick,
    Others are because the pocket collapses. As mentioned Hastings is not as mobile as Rodrigues so the offensive line has to do a better job of maintaining a pocket. Hastings is as mobile as most Davis QBs of thie last decade. The disadvantage of our short QBs is that it’s harder to throw over guys.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!