• CA Forever
    Aggies have a great chance to keep the wins rolling in this week as the Idaho State Bengals come to town, but as we learned from last season while playing ISU... you can't take any team lightly.

The Bengals offense is currently being lead by So. QB Hunter Hays who has completed 114/172 (66.3%) of his passing attempts for 1167 yards with 5 passing TDs and 5 INTs. So. QB Sagan Gronaur has also taken notable snaps this season and has completed 47/81 passing attempts (58.0%) for 524 yards with 2 passing TDs and 4 INTs.

Although ISU doesn't have the most potent passing offenses this season, they do feature a very talented WR that has the ability to do damage if given the chance. So. WR Xavier Guillory currently has 45 receptions for 751 yards (16.7 avg) and 4 TDs. He's currently sitting in 2nd overall in receiving yards in the Big Sky this season. The Bengals next leading receiver is Jr. TE Cyrus Wallace who has 249 yards on 33 receptions (7.5 avg). Moral of the story is shut down Guillory and you really hamstring their passing game.

The Bengal run game is headed by So. RB Raiden Hunter who has rushed the ball 93 attempts for 463 yards (4.8 avg) and 1 TD. The aforementioned So. QB Hunter Hays has 58 rushing attempts on the season for 287 yards and 1 TD. We've had our troubles in the past with mobile QBs, so we'll definitely have to do our best to keep him contained.

On Defense ISU is being held up by Sr. LB Charles Ike who has 68 total tackles, 4 TFL, 1 sack, 3 INTs, and 1 forced fumble. He's dang near the leader in every defensive category there is for the Bengals so he's either really good or simply getting no help at all from the rest of the squad. So. DL Cortland Horton has 30 total tackles, 6.5 TFL, 2 sacks, and 4 QB hits.

Overall, this is a team that is only scoring 16.8 points per game while simultaneously allowing 34.5 points per game. Not a great recipe for winning games and that shows with their 1-7 record. We have played 4 common opponents up to this date: Northern Colorado, Montana State, Cal Poly, and Northern Arizona. We bodied UNC, CP, and NAU while ISU lost to UNC and NAU. They did manage a 9 point victory of CP. Neither team did well against MSU. I think this game comes down to containing Guillory in the receiving game and limiting Hays scrambling attempts. Aggies should win this one by a comfortable margin, but you can't count your chickens before they hatch.

GO AGS!
  • AggieFinn2
    Idaho State wins by 28. They beat the Aggies last year in the Idaho Flea Market Arena if I remember right.

Lol@Raiden (ISU running back). Clearly his parents were caught up in the "aiden" baby-naming fad but still wanted to represent the Oakland Raiders
  • agalum
    Last year we were undefeated and couldn’t generate much offense against them. After shocking us, they went back to their losing ways.
  • CA Forever
    Absolutely can't take them lightly. Have to stay mentally sharp because Idaho and Sac are going to be a punch to the jaw after the last several weeks.
  • movielover
    We have to learn how to win against solid teams. FGs better. We're not gonna get many 65-yard TDs against top teams.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawk is ready for Idaho State and Halloween! :rofl:

• AggieFinn2
    We have to learn to stop living vicariously through the teams in these games. Lol
  • AggieFinn2
    Or maybe his parents first bonded over a rousing game of Mortal Kombat.
  • NCagalum
    I think this game comes down to containing Guillory in the receiving game and limiting Hays scrambling attempts. Aggies should win this one by a comfortable margin, but you can't count your chickens before they hatch.
    Agreed.
  • AggieFinn
    Dan seems a little nuts.
  • agalum
    “ Idaho State wide receiver Xavier Guillory, one of the team’s best players, has been charged with driving under the influence, according to Pocatello police.”

I wonder if he is going to be suspended?

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/townnews/criminal_law/idaho-state-receiver-xavier-guillory-arrested-on-misdemeanor-dui/article_8d858d88-5984-11ed-80cd-4fb4fc7c139d.html
  • AggieFinn
    Halloween man...just stay out of cars.

"Guillory will be allowed to continue playing football with the Bengals, ISU said, pending the results of a blood test to determine his blood-alcohol content. That will determine whether Guillory was above the legal limit of 0.08% blood-alcohol content. It could take two to four weeks to come back, police said"
  • Russ Bowlus
    Four weeks get them to the end of the football season. Just sayin.
  • CA Forever
    Especially in this day and age it's stupid easy to just get an Uber.
  • agalum
    I suspect if he passed the breath test he wouldn’t have been arrested. Like Russ said, waiting for the blood test puts the football season in the rear view mirror.
  • Riveraggie
    This must be some Idaho procedure. Here they do a breath test and then haul you off to the station and do it again on a better machine. I only know this cause I was on a jury fortunately.
  • DavisAggie
    Arrests are made for DUI all the time without a breath test
  • BlueGoldAg
    You can rest assured that any Aggie athlete who was arrested for a DUI would be suspended from playing until the issue was settled regardless of the circumstances in question.
  • Riveraggie
    There are two separate but overlapping laws in California, driving under the influence, and driving with a blood alcohol limit over the limit. They commonly charge you with both and you can be guilty found guilty of none one or both. The blood alcohol ticket requires a test with a breath device. The driving under the influence ticket means you couldn’t follow the physical procedures like standing on one foot etc to the satisfaction of the police officer. In any case there is no waiting around for a few weeks to get charged.
  • CA Forever
    Massey giving the Aggies 91% chance of winning
  • Toke69
    The NCAA FCS poll finally gives UC Davis some votes (13). Athlon's poll has us ranked #22. I guess some folks take strength of schedule into account, as Sagarin (UCD now 8th) always has.
  • AggieFinn
    Realizing now that Idaho State's coming off a BYE.
  • movielover
    I'm hoping that the guys are getting healthy, building confidence, and peaking just in time for some solid wins. That includes strategy for the last two games, I wonder if Sam Young or others are already working on that.

I was really impressed with Jeremiah Chukwudobe, and I hope he gets a few carries with the 1s this week. Depth at RB is great. I like Matteo Perez, but worry he'll get blown up at 173 pounds. JC runs powerfully. I'd also try him on kickoffs (he returned 2 for TDs in high school). TT is great as a wildcat QB, but him doing returns doesn't look like a good fit.

JC needs reps in prime time, we need playmakers who can get us over the hump and run through Sac State LBs.
  • agalum
    Looks like a chance of rain Saturday around 5pm.
  • lucche
    Jeremiah looks like he has great speed and good balance
  • movielover
    Earlier in the year we saw him "run downhill", and do well, but on his recent big play he broke 4-5 tackles. Announcers called it the play of the game. It wasn't a blown coverage or breaking one tackle. He's now our #4 rusher, and after his 41 yd romp, he is averaging 7.2 ypc.

I love all our guys, but I don't see MP stiff arming LBs or blowing up holes for Ulonzo. Minor improvements are OK, but why not add another chess piece into the mix. He's only had 13 carries. There is nothing to lose and lots to gain.
  • AggieFinn
    Highlights from Idaho State's last game, home game vs. Northern AZ

• movielover
    Along w Jeremiah, I'd try to get Blake Thorpe (3 catches all year), Lance Babbs (8), and Granfors (3) more involved. It was great to see Granfors excell. We've got 6 primary guys who are catching balls, and 2 are RBs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning takes the Ags by 32.

AGGIES OVER IDAHO STATE … Enjoy the exploding scoreboard while you can, Aggie fans, because the road gets very rough indeed over the final two weeks of the season as UCD takes the road at Idaho and Sacramento State. This one, however, will be Picnic Day in the fall as the Aggies have the Battling Bengals for lunch. Take the Ags by 32.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bob-picks-bad-news-bears-prepare-for-annual-whipping/
  • AggieFinn2
    Why 32 ? Is he expecting the Aggies to score five more touchdowns but miss three of five extra point attempts ? Why so little faith in the kicker, Bob ?

At least when I make up the totals by which the Aggies will lose it's just nonsense based on little to no information. I'm a nobody on a message board but he's a local sports expert, right ?

Also what's this about the Aggies having the Bengals for lunch-is UCD sponsoring a nice meal for the two teams prior to the game ? Realistically an Aggie would not eat a bengal if we are accepting that Gunrock represents what an Aggie is. Perhaps if they were playing the Idaho State Oats and Hay.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!