• BlueGoldAg
    From the official CSUB announcement:

"CSUB will field teams in the following Big West sports:

· Men's – Basketball, baseball, soccer, track and field.

· Women's – Basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, track and field, volleyball, and beach volleyball.

President Mitchell said the move will provide a number of benefits to CSUB and the Big West Conference, including:

· Reducing missed class time for student-athletes. With all of the Big West institutions except Hawaii located in California, the amount of time students spend out of class will be reduced, and travel costs will be reduced by up to $400,000 a year. The average round-trip distance from Bakersfield to Big West member insitutions is 814 miles (302 miles with the exception of Hawaii). The average round-trip distance from Bakersfield to Western Athletic Conference institutions is 2,422 miles.

· Renewing rivalries wth many institutions that have long been competitors of CSUB and are familiar to the community. For example, CSUB has competed as conference rivals against UC Riverside for 28 years, Cal Poly for 22 years, and CSU Northridge for 18 years.

· Providing a built-in fan base for the conference, as about 10,000 graduates of Big West institutions live in Kern County. The move will enhance the fan experience for CSUB supporters and alumni from other institutions.

· Extending the media exposure of the Big West by adding the Bakersfield/Central Valley media market. CSUB is the largest sports entity in the Bakersfield market with no Division I competition for media exposure. The addition of CSUB to the Big West increases the conference's media footprint by 8,161 miles and adds more than 850,000 households."

http://gorunners.com/news/2017/11/27/general-csu-bakersfield-accepts-invitation-to-join-big-west-conference.aspx
  • Russ Bowlus
    Is there that much of a divide between Bakersfield and Fresno that Fresno St. doesn't dominate the Central/Southern valley sports scene? (Honest question, I don't know.)
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fresno is the big name in the valley but Bake is on the rise and has fielded some very athletic teams with a good fan following in their area. We used to have a good rivalry with them in basketball during the D2 era.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yup, traveled there at least once for bball as a member of the band. :)

Just didn't know how much Fresno dominated the sports landscape at that end of the valley.
  • aggie6thman
    Um, wow. Two questions: 1) Why? 2) When does the Big "West" change its name to UC/CSU (and Hawaii) Conference?
  • BlueGoldAg
    How long will Hawai'i stay now...??
  • aggie6thman
    Hard to imagine them staying now and I don't blame them.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm not excited about adding these two schools. Bake should be able to come in and be fairly competitive. UCSD has to go through what we did and it will be a while before they are up to D1 speed and, even then, who knows how they will fare.

The thing that I don't like about this is that it adds two more home games to our basketball schedules with two teams that the students could care less about and does nothing for our rpi's and sos's. Then, if Hawai'i leaves, the conference gets even weaker.

Men's BB already can't get high quality OOC home games as it is and now we will have 2 less opportunities to try and bring in teams that the fans care to see. Women's BB, on the other hand, has been slowly but steadily bringing in some nice OOC games and, if they have a banner year this year, they might be able to schedule even more high quality teams. Now they have fewer opportunities to do so also.

Both of the basketball programs are getting better. They are the programs that can lead us to greater D1 exposure and success at a level that just might get the students' and the general fans' attention. We need to play up in basketball even if we take our lumps and, if we can schedule one or two ooc home games a year with some big name schools, we'll get fans in the seats even if we get thumped. Unfortunately, UCSD and Bake won't bring any new fans into the Pavilion.
  • aggie6thman
    Agree with everything you said. Here's what I don't get...we currently have 9 teams. Why add two unless you're expecting one (Hawaii is the obvious choice) to leave?

I feel the goal was to expand the foot print of the conference, why not New Mexico State, Seattle or Utah Valley? Makes ZERO sense to me.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Absolutely, any of those teams would have been better.
  • aggie6thman
    Or, add Utah Valley and Southern Utah. That way Southern Utah has a travel partner and in-state "rival" and doesn't leave them on an island like Hawaii.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Maybe it's time for the Aggies to find a new home but where.....??
  • aggie6thman
    The only conference that might think about taking us is the WAC...ironic isn't it?
  • aggie6thman
    Think about this, if the conference were to spit into North/South Divisions similar to what we have in soccer, the breakdowns would look something like this:

North:
    UC Davis
    Hawaii
    Cal Poly
    UCSB
    Bako

South:
    Northridge
    Long Beach
    Fullerton
    UC Irvine
    UC Riverside
    UCSD

Bako would be the North/South split and Hawaii would be in the North. Hawaii's been called a lot of things but a northern state isn't one of them!

Our nearest conference foe is Cal Poly and they are three hours away. Conversely if Fullerton had to go to Northridge it could also be three hours away depending on traffic. Maybe they would fly from John Wayne to Burbank... :-$
  • Russ Bowlus
    Home/home vs your division and then alternating home/away vs the other division? Seems like that leaves enough games for OOC competition.
  • aggie6thman
    Yes, but why would we settle for 11 teams? I think the conference is expecting someone to leave or are planning on adding another member.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Oh, for sure the odd number looks weird.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    What are the most likely scenarios now for conference movement?
  • SochorField
    When Hawaii leaves (and they probably will), the Big West will be even more boring. The only conference in the country with all teams in the same state. Hell, lets just finish this thing and get Merced and Santa Cruz moved up to D1 and get them in. :-}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_conferences
  • aggie6thman
    But what about all the remaining CSU's?
  • SochorField

Personally, I like the Stanislaus Warriors... affectionately known as "Stan State"
  • zythe
    We might as well start letting high schools or middle schools in.

Eventually, we have to move to a stronger conference.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's a few more schools for the Big West to consider:

Academy of Art (well they've got some upset history with us)
    Notre Dame (the da Namur one)
    Holy Names (might as well keep God happy)
    William Jessop (Onward Christian Soldiers)...
  • aggie6thman
    Ha. We've lost to half that list at least once...
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    For the BWC. Who will join or depart to make the conference one with an even number. We really have no other options and the decision made 6 or 7 years ago to join the BSC and stay in the BW was a good one.
  • aggie6thman
    Either Hawaii leaves and Slac is added (the only UC/CSU left in the state that would be ready to join the Big West, or Hawaii leaves and that is the end of the addition/subtraction game.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!