• Oldbanduhalum
    Not good. I wonder if we get 50% of the conference games in
  • DrMike
    Fullerton has cancelled their first two BW games . Riverside and Long Beach are on pause.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Probably comes as no surprise, but it looks like the Bball games are still on hold.

• BlueGoldAg
    A couple of weeks ago, the university and Sisson — after UCD began daily antigen testing for athletes — reached a compromise to allow resumption of workouts. But the ban on games, in or out of the county, remains.

It’s that last part of the protocol that has miffed some Davis basketball fans and has campus officials gnashing their teeth, knowing that Yolo County is the only one in the state with such a rigid no-play-anywhere edict

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/no-word-yet-about-uc-davis-basketball-being-okd-to-play/
  • BlueGoldAg
    This sucks! We're the only county in the entire state that is not allowing intercollegiate competition.
  • fugawe09
    Interesting politics. Dr. Sisson only came to Yolo County in September, a few days after Placer County fired her for her strictness. So the Yolo board knew who they were hiring and it appears intentional. Disappointing to basketball fans, but it does not appear to be Gary May’s priority to change the county’s mind on this as I think the county and university historically do get along. In real terms I’m not even sure how much enforcement jurisdiction the county has on UC property.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah I'm frustrated...I can just imagine how the players and staff are feeling. At what point do they just pull the plug on this season and start to focus on next year. We have to be getting close to that point.

I'm not a big fan of the Yolo County Board of Supervisors. They fired my boss and Director a few years ago for no other reason than they didn't want to look bad to the public (they found their scape goats). But that's a whole other topic.
  • DrMike
    If there was evidence that it was spread through competition, that would be something. But from the little I’ve seen, that doesn’t seem to be the case. I was listening to Peter King (SI football guru) and he was saying there’s been no evidence of transmission from one team to another. For example, Tennessee had big outbreak and their prior opponent (one day before first of positive tests) had no cases immediately following.

I’m all for caution when there is a basis. There seems to be zero basis for this decision
  • SloStang
    With the Aggies first football game scheduled for February 27th they are probably scheduled to begin practice at the end of this month. If Yolo County does not ease restrictions the spring football season seems to be in jeopardy too.
  • Toke69
    I'd like to take the ever unpopular devil's advocate position here. Cal Aggie Men's basketball is far and away my favorite sport to watch ever since I watched my first game over 50 years ago. It is a major disappointment and, given what other schools have been able to do, very unfair to the fans and players. At the same time, I have been ambivalent about exposing these young guys to the virus. The effects of SARS-2 COVID 19 are known to be sometimes insidious and long term. The risk might be small, but can we weigh that in balance against something that is solely for the benefit of our enjoyment? I admit that I know nothing about the Yolo County Administration, but I find it hard to believe that their restrictions are aimed at UC Davis athletics.
  • DrMike
    The Greater Sacramento Region has had its SIP lifted last night; still hope for basketball soon?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I've pretty much written off the season after seeing the Fullerton games canceled. But maybe there is a small ray of hope???
  • Oldbanduhalum
    From the Enterprise https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/is-there-hope-for-basketball-at-ucd-after-order-is-lifted/

According to the office of Yolo Public Health Officer Aimee Sisson, the county will be revising the local Attachment B to the health order. That’s the section of the Yolo County edict that says about professional and collegiate sports: “(Activity) is limited to drills and conditioning only, with physical distancing, and only outdoors. For clarity, all competitive games, scrimmages, and similar activities that do not allow for physical distancing are prohibited.”

“(The new directive) will likely be released (Wednesday),” county Public Information Officer Jenny Tan told The Enterprise.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Officially back on, starting 1/22-1/23. Women host UCSD and the men travel to UCSD. Pretty good games to start off with.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/ucd-gets-green-light-to-play-basketball-again-on-jan-22-23/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Gonna be a long bus ride to San Diego though:

In traveling south next week, the UCD men — who normally would have flown to the weekend series — will take the bus as a further nod to staying isolated during the pandemic.
  • DrMike
    the ride back will seem much shorter with 2 wins!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I'm looking forward to Anigwe getting some minutes. First time we've had a true rim protector in a while.
  • Toke69
    What kind of shape will the team be in both in terms of conditioning and teamwork?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah I was wondering the same thing. Hopefully the team can practice for a week now before the first games. And while UCSD will present a good level of competition, at least we're not starting out with UCI.
  • DrMike
    I think we’ve been practicing from what I gathered from Gross’ comments. Sounds like team practices were okay, just not competition with other teams .

UCSD is a good one to start with. They will. Have only 3 BWC games under their belt (only 3 D1 games)
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Some national press about the long layoff

12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!