• Riveraggie
    They’ve posted a roster for the fall, with expected returnees.
    Looks like Kooper Richardson and Connor Airey will not return. Those are just names that I noticed missing, I’m sure there are others. But if accurate we don’t lose too many starters.
  • BlueGoldAg
    As of May 2021. Roster includes expected returners plus 2020-21 signees. A full roster, with additional players and updated information, will be available during the 2021 preseason camp in August.

Link: https://ucdavisaggies.com/sports/football/roster
  • DavisAggie
    Isaiah Thomas and Skeptaris also not returning
  • agalum

Darn, sorry to hear that. I really enjoyed watching both, but especially IT.
  • AggieFinn
    Life marches on man...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Kooper Richardson is transferring to Sac State. Daniel Whelan, John Aloma and Isaiah Thomas will continue to play this fall.

Lineman Kooper Richardson, who captained the UCD football team in past campaigns, will be taking advantage of his extra season across the causeway.

The 6-foot-6, 298-pound Folsom High product will reunite with his younger brother, Kaden, and father, Kris, at Sacramento State. Kris has served as the Hornets’ assistant head coach the last three seasons, with Kaden, a rising junior, joining the fold after transferring from Davis in 2020.

On the flip side, All-American punter and likely 2022 NFL Draft selection Daniel Whelan will be back along with long snapper John Aloma and All-Big Sky Conference punt returner Isaiah Thomas. All three are extending their senior school year through the fall.

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies/do-i-stay-or-do-i-go-graduating-aggies-retain-season-of-ncaa-eligibility/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=923a1968b5-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-923a1968b5-171004309
  • Riveraggie
    Congratulations to Kooper for having the opportunity to join the family enterprise. Also congrats for graduating from UCD.
  • AggieFinn
    Family's family man.

Next man up for Davis.
  • DrMike
    true BUT I think it has more to do with having lost his starting position to an underclassman
  • Riveraggie
    My take is that the extra season of eligibility plus the fact that he could graduate gives him an opportunity to do something else, which is play with his brother and for his dad, If he’s interested, might be a step toward getingt into coaching.
    His Twitter identifies him as a UCD Alum. so no academic reason to stay.
  • fugawe09
    I guess I'm alone in wrinkling my nose about a Davis man putting on green. I'm not sure how the Covid eligibility relief works... he has graduated from UCD, but Sac's roster lists him as a Sr transfer. So does he have to take classes at all, does he take some non-degree seeking undergrad classes, or is he going to be taking graduate courses? His profile says he wants to be a PE teacher (and coach), so in my mind, if he is legitimately pursuing a teaching credential or master's degree through Sac State then it's weird but checks out. If he's not there for a legitimate academic purpose, it would be a shame that some other student is being denied a seat. Also curious when players or coaches transfer to opponent teams, is there any sort of gentleman's accord about divulging internal team info or is that considered fair game?
  • elfan
    People should listen to DrMike here (and always). Amoah took the job and has not looked back. Cool experience for the Richardson's to spend time together. This roster is built to win big in the fall.
  • 69aggie
    DR M. Can you elaborate? How can a team captain lose his starting position? I guess hard to do, unless the “underclassman” was very good. But, it is still a story that this type of thread would be very interested in knowing more about.
  • Goags20172
    Sac State has a good teacher education program. Back when I was a student I took some basic education courses at UCD and there were a couple of professors the two universities shared.. If you want to be a teacher you might as well go to CSUS. Cheaper and a better selection of credential options. In fact I seem to recall a couple years ago UCD was considering eliminating theirs to save money. I remember at a Sac State baseball game once a a guy sitting a couple rows up noticed my UCD t-shirt and said he played baseball there.

As someone who's gone to both schools I will say I had good but significantly different educational experiences. At UCD I had more lecturers, and it was more on you how much you wanted to participate and what you wanted to get out of it. Sac State doesn't really have the big lecture halls and the professors will call on you every class: you can't hide in the back. No people eating bags of microwave popcorn like I saw in Psych 1.

Sac State has more problems than UCD getting students to attend athletic events. Go to a bball game and it's pretty much old white townies. The Causeway Classic is just a social event for the schools to hate on each other. The game is secondary.
  • Riveraggie
    According to the team statistics, Amoah started the last few games in 2019 at left tackle and then started every game this spring at left tackle. Richardson started the first two games at right tackle and then Colton Larson started the last three. So it looks like Amoah won the job from Lamson, who played at left tackle before Amoah and then Lamson eventually won the right tackle job from Richardson. Injuries may have played a role. If the stats are wrong it won’t be the first time.
  • AggieFinn

I guess I'm alone in wrinkling my nose about a Davis man putting on green...

You are definitely not alone in that sentiment. Though, with these modern kids, the bad blood isn't as bad as it used to be...my take. I think it was right around maybe 2012 that things started to change? Remember some heated moments in the stands in '08 and '09
  • fugawe09
    You're probably right. I went to games religiously in the 90s and 2000s and remember some of those tense nights at both Sac and Poly. I haven't been in person much in the last 10 years so I suppose my perception is frozen in time, which is probably early onset of me becoming an old fart.
  • movielover
    Since you're our facilities expert, how does the Hornets Nest rank against small high school gyms & old Hickey?
  • Goags20172
    The Hornet's Nest is a great place to watch a game......of volleyball. It's fine for the crowds they usually get, but it was nuts when they hosted Oregon State. I remember it was a very rainy day. Maybe the Beavers were there to build a dam.
  • fugawe09
    I'll put my reply to the OT board so we don't get toooo far off the topic of the football roster here!
  • 69aggie
    To add to Fugs comments on the difference between UC Davis and Sac State academics, a good friend of mine’s wife got her PhD. From Davis in Spanish. As such, she was in high demand (pre PhD) as a TA and later as a lecturer at Davis, Santa Barbara, Berkeley and, yes, Sac State. Later she became an assistant professor at Michigan State. Now she is at Santa Cruz- full professor. Her standard test on her student class quality was this: if in a 25 student class you asked a question of the class, how many raised their hands with the right answer? In all the UC’s it was generally this: 20 raised their hands. Five did not. Sac state: 10 raised. 15 did not. Michigan State: 5 raised. 20 did not. She described the Michigan students as a fairly “forlorn and unenthusiastic group overall.” Sac state students actually much better.
  • AggieFinn
    I'd believe it. My great grandparents were 1st generation Finnish-Americans, after Ellis Island, they went west, they tried Michigan and didn't like it (said the people were too dry and quiet...THESE ARE FINNS SAYING THIS) and ended up settling in Naselle, Washington. They flourished in the logging and marine industries of SW Washington. My great uncle Oscar actually had patents for choking various tree species, as well as engines and marine propulsion. His death in Seattle was a bit of a family legend, we all believed he was moonlighting with a dental assistant and his heart gave out from the effort.

I do suspect that my great grandparents weren't much for copper mining, and didn't like the extreme cold. Most of the Finns went to the upper peninsula in Michigan...maybe the cold made them dull, ha ha Funny thing was, those lessons from Michigan must have sunk in, because the whole Naselle, SW Washington area became the biggest copper production center in the world...made more money than the entire California Gold Rush.
  • fugawe09
    heh, the "Finn" in AggieFinn makes sense then. Here I had been assuming (for no reason in particular) that you might be into fishing.
  • AggieFinn
    ...or Irish. My nephew's name is actually Finnegan, which covers my brother-in-law's side, everybody calls him "Finn" so it's sort of balanced.
  • agalum

Finns dad, Aggie football alumni, is a big time fisherman .
  • Goags20172
    And here I thought you were just a fan of "Glee". LOL.
  • AggieFinn
    Big time is putting it lightly Alum, he literally has gills now and can sing to them like a Merman.

5e9528159b01768c6cd2cdbee7cf45fdb0449d9b.jpg?mw=600
  • AggieFinn
    Any late transfers to the program?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!