• agalum

Yes, good news.
  • CA Forever
    Getting pretty close to the early signing period!

High School (Dec 15 - Dec 17)
    Midyear JC Transfer (Dec 15 - Jan 15)
  • movielover
    Is it possible w the extra year, and grad transfers... we don't have many schollies available?
  • CA Forever
    We'll see what happens tomorrow. The "early" signing date in December has kind of become the standard signing date with stragglers in February. I think covid year and that we still have Hawkins' huge first class of athletes on the books means we have somewhat limited scholarships. Like I said though, we'll see what comes up tomorrow.
  • Riveraggie
    The huge first class has attrited to fewer than 10, with two now in the transfer portal.

Signing Day Roster

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown Highlights
    Terrell Cloud (Signed in December) DT 5-11 290 Palmdale, Calif. (LA Valley College/Palmdale HS '15) Highlights
    Will Martin (Signed in December) OL 6-2 290 Huntington Beach, Calif. (Orange Coast College/Brethren Christian HS '14) Highlights
    Joey Berzins TE 6-3 250 Walnut Creek, Calif. (Campolindo HS '17) Highlights
    Max O'Rourke K 6-1 170 Rocklin, Calif. (ARC/Rocklin HS '15) Highlights
    Carson Crawford WR 5-10 165 Portland, Ore. (Beaverton HS '17) Highlights
    Nick Amoah OL 6-3 280 Davis, Calif. (Davis HS '17) Highlights
    Luka Nixon DE 6-5 230 Sherwood, Ore. (Sherwood HS '17) Highlights
    Amir Knox DB 6-0 177 Bakersfield, Calif. (Ridgeview HS '17) Highlights
    Tehran Thomas RB 5-11 230 Goodyear, Ariz (Desert Edge HS '17) Highlights
    Jaylin White DB 5-10 158 Murrieta, Calif. (Vista Murrieta HS '17) Highlights
    Fabian Hunkin DT 6-2 290 Salinas, Calif. (North Salinas HS '17) Highlights
    Will George OL 6-4 285 Stockton, Calif. (Lincoln HS '17) Highlights
    Evan Perkins DB 5-10 180 San Diego, Calif. (Helix Charter HS '17) Highlights
    Jordan Perryman DB 6-0 185 Hanford, Calif. (Hanford HS '17) Highlights
    Connor Pettek OL 6-4 305 Thousand Oaks, Calif. (Thousand Oaks HS '17) Highlights
    Logan Hungrige LB 6-2 235 Sutter, Calif. (Sutter Union HS '17) Highlights
    Jake Maier QB 6-0 200 La Habra, Calif. (Long Beach CC/St. Paul HS '15) Highlights
    Ulonzo Gilliam RB 5-9 180 Merced, Calif. (Merced HS '17) Highlights
    Daniel Whelan P 6-5 215 Rancho Mirage, Calif. (Rancho Mirage HS '17) Highlights
    De'Andre Morgan DE 6-3 240 Concord, Calif. (Concord HS '17) Highlights
    Logan Montgomery WR 5-11 175 Laguna Hills, Calif. (Laguna Hills HS '17) Highlights
    Eric Flowers LB 5-11 228 Van Nuys, Calif. (LA Valley College/Birmingham HS '16) Highlights
    Devon King DB 5-10 165 Richmond, Calif. (De Anza HS '17) Highlights
    Cam Trimble LB 6-0 215 Thousand Oaks, Calif. (Westlake HS '17) Highlights
    Kristian Gilbert WR 5-11 190 Artesia, Calif. (St. John Bosco HS '17) Highlights
    Niko Harris QB 6-1 190 Agoura Hills, Calif. (Sierra Canyon HS '17) Highlights
    Troy Spencer WR 5-9 170 Corona, Calif. (Centennial HS '17) Highlights
    Namane Modise RB 5-9 180 San Lorenzo, Calif. (CCSF/Castro Valley HS '15) Highlights
    Tanner Cristando LB 6-0 240 Healdsburg, Calif. (Butte College/Healdsburg HS '15) Highlights
    Truman Andrus LB 6-2 205 El Dorado Hills, Calif. (Oak Ridge HS '17) Highlights
    Montell Bland LB 5-11 210 Modesto, Calif. (Central Catholic HS '17) Highlights
    Donovan Taylor LB 6-2 220 Long Beach, Calif. (Warren HS '17) Highlights
  • CA Forever
    I hadn't realized how many were already gone. Well, I don't have a super great explanation for why there's so little out there right now.
  • movielover

Don't we graduate about a dozen players?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think we're going to miss this big man:

• Riveraggie
    Not anyone close to his impact among returning defensive linemen.

I think it’s 12, one grad student, Duncan, and eleven seniors on roster, but maybe not all had scholarships. Most did.
  • AggieFinn
    What's Luca Nixon's status? Was a killer this spring, but didn't see him for much of any 2021 Fall Season. Did he sustain a serious injury?
  • Riveraggie
    Nixon appeared in four games. San Diego,Dixie. Weber and Eastern Washington but only two tackles for season.
    I think he was coming off an injury in last game of spring season injury but can’t recall what it was.
  • CA Forever
    Early signing period opens today. We do have a couple commits, but we'll see how many signings we get today.
  • movielover
    I took a quick look last night - Montana and MSU have 10-11 commits, Sac State 7... lower numbers than normal.
  • DrMike
    I know the NCAA bumped up the number of scholarships allowed to deal with the COVID extra year, but not sure for how long and, probably more importantly, whether we took advantage of that (it’s not free!). Based on Hawk’s comments post SDSU and their 85 scholarships, I’m guessing we didn’t use the full allotment.
  • CA Forever
    It specifically feels like a slow year for us right now. Maybe the guys we're going after just don't have a lot of social media presence, but it feels fairly strange to only have 2 commits at the opening of the NLI period.
  • agalum

Looks like a good catch.
  • CA Forever
    Sac is already up to 10 signings this morning, Cal Poly at 4... We're still sitting at 1...
  • Riveraggie
    It’s weird this year that there is little or no promotion of signing day on the web site compared to years past.
  • CA Forever
    Yep, I noticed that as well. Had the site up expecting to grab information from there... and nothing. Could be a sign that they were expecting an extremely light day.
  • Riveraggie
    It’s even weirder as we gave 2021 recruits almost no playing time. That may mean two failed years of recruiting. I know there are other possibilities, just voicing concern.
  • CA Forever
    I don't know the scholarship situation or the landscape of what hurdles the coaching staff faced when recruiting, but it is a little bit concerning to be sitting on 1 signee. We really haven't had trouble bringing in recruits in the past so this is surprising to say the least.
  • movielover
    Maybe gonna load up on Juco and late signers? An active press could help.
  • DrMike
    It almost seems like that announcement came out prematurely. In the past, they rolled them out one after another.

Last season didn’t Portland and one or more Idaho school announce a class of a couple guys on signing day? I think I remember them eventually naming a full and well regarded class.

Who knows
  • CA Forever
    I think they typically announce the signings on Twitter as soon as the paperwork comes through. At this point the coaches have their work cut out for them.
  • DrMike
    Could be that between transfers, JUCO and COVID limits, there will be a trickle down to the FCS so we’ll see a bunch in the traditional February time frame
  • CA Forever
    Wyatt Gardner announced on his personal twitter account that he has signed. It was, however, not announced by Davis and that typically means he is signing as a PWO.
  • CA Forever
    Could be. There were just so many changes over the course of this year tough to know how or why things are playing out as they are currently. I will say that one thing that the coaches have going for them is that most of the standings offers we have out didn't commit and sign elsewhere today so there is still time to work on winning those athletes over.

It's just a little bit of a shock because Hawkins up to this point has been pretty successful in the early signing period.
  • movielover
    Could there be a logjam as I think I read over 1,000 football players entered the transfer portal.
  • CA Forever
    All possibilities, although some schools figured it out. Like I said, Sac is in the double digits and I saw North Dakota State signed in the 30s already this morning.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!