• CA Forever
    I was typing up some questions just as you responded. Did he happen to speak to the ensuing QB competition? Seems like it's going to be open competition, but at the same time specifically bringing in a JC guy has to indicate that they weren't 100% with what they got out of guys last season. I don't think he's automatically crowned the starter or anything, but it does feel reminiscent of when we brought in Maier (I'm not comparing Newman to Maier, just the situation).
  • agalum

I don’t remember Hawk specifically addressing the qb competition, but that was certainly heard in conversation around the room, which is speculation but everyone is anticipating a healthy competition for “the guy.”
  • CA Forever
    Gotcha, gotcha. Dan is a smart guy. I believe that he will, to the best of his ability, put us in a situation to win as many games as possible and that means picking the right guy for the job. I'm not sure we had a right guy for the job in general last season and we did the best we could and still made it to the playoffs. Guys will have another year of development under their belts and some fresh faces are in the mix. Hopefully someone can just grab the job and make it theirs.
  • Riveraggie
    Did Hawkins indicate that Kraut will be a receiver?
  • CA Forever
    The video highlight on twitter had him listed as ATH, but the press release has him listed at WR. He was listed as a DB for Arizona. Seems like a versatile athlete in general.
  • Riveraggie
    I hope they give him a shot at receiver
  • agalum

Sounded like it. And there was a freshman from Socal, tall kid, that has break away speed that also ran track. He commented about loosing Harrel. Sounded like replacing him was on the agenda.
  • CA Forever
    I don't see why they wouldn't. Similarly to the quarterback position, this last season we didn't really have THE GUY that was regularly getting open for us. Our top returning WR in terms of yards is Hutton who had just over 300 yards. I think Hutton is a talented slot receiver, but we need guys on the outside who can vertically stretch the field.
  • Riveraggie
    looks from the highlights that Kraut is good as a ball carrier, as is Hutton. One of the other guys might be the deep threat.
  • CA Forever
    Yeah I watched his highlights and he definitely has the yards after catch threat. Both Kraut and Pickett have nice size to play on the outside at the very least.
  • movielover
    Don't forget we seem to get 2, 3 late additions every year, and with the portal backlog I wouldn't be shocked if there were more. Just as in past years after a QB battle, one may convert to WR. Our talent at RB seems open after Lars Larson.
  • movielover
    I believe Newman has 2 years remaining. This years stats show he upped his completion % (66.8%), passing efficiency (167.6 to 180.4), and reduced the sack number from over 58 to 32. Only 6 picks.

https://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2021-22/Conference/National-Bay_6/players/jacknewmanqe1t
  • Riveraggie
    Probably learned something during his year at cal. Went through spring camp as well as the fall, so that’s a lot of coaching
  • Riveraggie
    The 6’4” tall wide receiver from Redlands Laviel Pickett doesn’t appear to have run track, but played football basketball and baseball. A recruiting site says he signed with Davis to play baseball. I can see how he didn’t have time for track.

https://www.fieldlevel.com/app/commitments/laviel.pickett/baseball
  • 88Aggie
    Recruiting class looks good. The past couple years seems to have been strong as well. Watched some of Newman's videos and looks like he has a strong arm and good mechanics. Hopefully, he is what we are looking for. He led his team to a state championship at the JC level, so good resume. If one of our existing guys beats him out then that is good news too. The two PAC12 transfers are good and a couple JC transfers for immediate impact hopefully. But not too many of them that it puts us in a spot in future years as too much talent graduates at once. Lots of linebackers, which is good. But we struggled on both sides of the line. The linemen we got had good size, but seems like we could have recruited even more.
  • agalum

Yes i remember Hawkins talking about Pickett’s baseball skills. He sure stressed the fact that one of the receiver recruits ran track and had impressive speed. Maybe it was Gbatu but he’s 5’10”. Too bad they don’t record the evening highlights. On the other hand, we don’t want to make too much inside info public.
  • Riveraggie
    Agree with all your comments except we don’t have anything to go by in judging the 2021 class as none of them played. The 2020 class had twenty recruits and a lot of impact. Hopefully the 2021 class not getting on the field was just due to depth. Looked good on paper but a smaller group.
  • movielover
    Did Coach Hawkins ever comment on our run game (RBs)?
  • CA Forever
    Looks like we've added another PWO LB in Macray Madruga out of San Ramon! GO AGS!
  • movielover
    6’3 220lb MLB California High School / Bench 315 / Squat 455 / 4.3 GPA.

1st Team All League
    103 Tot Tackles / 37 Solo / 66 Asst
    2 Interceptions / 4 Forced Fumbles
  • Riveraggie
    I noticed on the roster from the fall that Jalon Jackson, a 247 three star from the class of 21 who initially signed a NLI with San Diego last winter is listed. 6’2” wide receiver. That’s another talented recruit we haven’t seen yet. Flew in under the radar.
  • 69aggie
    Someone posted that Hawk mentioned that the Edwards APC was a factor in the recruiting process. Does anyone know what he actually said and why? I watch the construction cams from time to time and it is actually a very large building and from my very limited experience going to be an attractive building. I have no idea what’s inside, but I must believe it’s pretty impressive there too. I wonder in they put hard hats on the kids and take-them on a tour. That would be very cool.
  • eastbayaggie
    If you're referring to the Edwards Family Athletic Center, you can play the full video which shows what's inside in the following link: https://edwardsathleticscenter.com/
  • 69aggie
    Interesting article in the Washington Post today regarding former Aggie player/coach Ejiro Evero (wish I could past it). He is now with the Rams as the D backs coach. Article says he will go to Denver to be Hacketts DC. Incredible career. Nice words about the Aggie program. Good read.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Aggie football has becoming a factory for future coaching careers!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!