• movielover
    6'4", 295#s. Rolling.
  • CA Forever
    He would already be one of the beefier OL on our roster. We don't have too many guys in the 300+ range. His coach also stated that he was an "All-American" but I wasn't able to find any kind of news release to corroborate that. I was able to find that he made 1st team all-state as a freshman. He didn't have much online presence so I don't know what kind of offers he had, but seems like it could be a good pick up for us.
  • Riveraggie

We have offensive linemen who stay the same or get lighter as time goes by. I think it’s a preference as the trend is so definite , but it is definitely unusual. Connor Petteck went from 305 lbs as a freshmen to 280.Jake Parks went from 290 to 285.
    The only player that played much that added significant weight was Colton Lamson, who went from 235 to 296. All the above weight changes are over multiple years.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We have offensive linemen who stay the same or get lighter as time goes by. I think it’s a preference as the trend is so definite , but it is definitely unusual.Riveraggie

Maybe trimmer and much stronger from individualized weight training in the off season.
  • movielover
    We must prefer OL who are lighter, 275-280. (Joe Albrecht is 325.)
  • Riveraggie
    That’s definitely an argument for it, but the usual approach for teams that can’t recruit big linemen out of high school is to draft kids whose frame can carry the weight and then they add mass through weight training. Teams that follow that approach kick our butt. Our linemen are light and short for a passing team. Guys can be big and lean but they need to be big.

How big the guys holding down the bench are only matters to guys building the bench.
  • CA Forever
    3 star LB Clayton Lynam commits to UC Davis! Go Ags!
  • CA Forever
    New offer on 3 star DT Jairus Satele from St. John Bosco. Was previously committed to Navy.
  • movielover
    Great size, and we beat out a lot of quality competition - Air Force, Army, Colorado State, Navy, Nevada, Princeton, and San Jose State. And a *** commit.
  • BlueGoldAg
    247 Sports says Satele had an offer from Kansas.
  • movielover
    RB DJ Crowther *** of Christian Brothers is being pursued by lots of programs, including home visits from HC's Best (EWU), Baldwin (SLO), Priore (University of Pennsylvania, aka Penn), and Tee vens (Dartmouth).

New offers include Idaho, Penn, Dartmouth, Fordham, Cal Poly, EWU, and Tennessee State.

It looks like he's seen two of our home games. Cody Hawkins and Coach Speckman made a recent home visit.
  • 69aggie
    I am really impressed as to how you guys get this information. Is it top secret or can we all get it? Good work movie and forever on this!
  • movielover
    CAForever has superb skills. Mine aren't secret.

Do a basic google search of UC Davis football, then scroll left on the subtopics which include All, Images, News, etc. The far right selection on my phone is 'search tools', click that. Then another subtopic pops up for time with a drop down arrow, I select 24 hours - to scan the latest news. It's a wildcard, something I do while having coffee. That's one method. Most results are irrelevant - men's basketball, etc.

A second method is scanning popular twitter handles (names), like local RB DJ Crowther. (Search - Twitter DJ Crowther.) It helps that his name is unique. He pops right up, and the players tweet about their visits, post photos, etc. ... if you search a more common name like Dan Hawkins, you need to add another term or two - like football or UCD - to weed out irrelevant hits. (Most of the DJ Crowther info came from his twitter account, and I just checked it against what we had here.)

Another trick is to search "Dan Hawkins" or "UC Davis football" - which means an exact match.
  • movielover
    NAU offered DE Kai Wallin.
  • CA Forever
    Nope it's all pretty public information. I find most of my recruiting news on the website 247 and then on twitter like movie said. It's just a matter of using the right search words to find the information you want.
  • DrMike
    I see nothing out there about GIlliam. A clip on his twitter about helping future RB’s at some clinic where the poster referred to him as UCD RB, and tags Speckman
  • DavisAggie
    I prefer linemen who can block
  • Riveraggie
    Where did Andre Crump get rated as three stars? 247sports said he walked on there with no stars

https://247sports.com/Player/Andre-Crump-46058949/
  • Riveraggie
    Ernesto Nava, was on Azusa Pacific roster 2020., so he’s one of several now with us.
  • CA Forever
    When you're on his profile, on the right hand side click recruiting profile. He was rated a 3 star coming out of high school.

Edit: I'm also gonna say that I really don't put much stock into the star rankings. There are guys at the top of their game in the NFL that were 2 stars and there are 4 star guys that bust in college. I only include the information because it's there, not because it's a great indicator of who is going to be good for us.
  • Riveraggie
    understood. Really at the recruiting stage the teams interested is more meaningful than the rating but even that doesn’t correlate with what their career turns out to be.
  • CA Forever
    Absolutely agree. There are so many factors that go into the recruiting these kids out of high school. You can't look at a singular factor and think say that kid is gonna be a stud or not.
  • NewGuy
    Also, recruiting site information is often incomplete.
  • CA Forever
    Also true. I have found that 247 is the most complete for FCS recruiting, but as you stated not perfect.
  • movielover
    Speckman lauding Ulonzo. It appears to be a football camp in the Central Valley.

https://twitter.com/MarkSpeckman/status/1485334086512099329?s=20
  • DrMike
    that’s the post I was referring to. Guy running the camp calls him UCD running back but that probably means nothing
  • CA Forever
    Commitment from a K/P! Rated as 4.5 stars from Chris Sailer which basically means "FCS Starter" on their scale. GO AGS!
  • BlueGoldAg
    6'0 180 and a 4.2 GPA...perfect, scholar baller Aggie!
  • movielover
    Will Coach Combs land some D Linemen?
  • CA Forever
    Lynam also plays DE in addition to LB and could have been recruited for that considering he tagged Jerry Brady in his commitment post
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!