• BlueGoldAg
    Aggie athletes can now profit off their NIL (name, image and likeness):

A door previously closed to NCAA student-athletes was finally cracked open on July 1.

That is when the NCAA adopted an interim policy allowing athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness.

California took the first step in fall 2019 by passing the Fair Pay to Play Act (the first law of its kind in the nation), which paved the groundwork for athletes to sign paid endorsement deals on Jan. 1, 2023.

But with new NCAA guidelines on NIL in place, student-athletes can profit off their image and name right away, without fear of punishment from the NCAA.

According to UC Davis Senior Associate Athletic Director Katherine Zedonis, the new policy allows college athletes to take advantage of NIL opportunities, regardless of which state their school is in.

“Allowing NIL opportunities for all our student-athletes is a positive,” Zedonis said. “We have many student-athletes who can benefit from their NIL, and the NCAA interim policy now allows for that … Many of our student-athletes work and the changes to NIL opens up additional employment opportunities for many of them.”

The change followed a June 21 Supreme Court ruling in the case of NCAA vs. Alston. The court’s unanimous decision ruled against the organization’s ability to restrict education-related benefits. Following the ruling, NIL bills similar to California’s went into effect in six states — Texas, New Mexico, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Georgia — on July 1.

Student-athletes have been knocking on this door for a long time.

Read more here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/new-nil-policy-opens-door-for-college-athletes/?utm_source=DE&utm_campaign=c7347eac3e-Daily_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_be64fee185-c7347eac3e-171004309
  • fugawe09
    I doubt that this will result in any tectonic shifts for UCD or even the Big West or Big Sky at large. Might see some players hawking Muscle Milk or appearing in local car ads. Nationally, I doubt this changes much in the minor sports but I think P5 football and basketball will change for the worse. On one hand, individuals own their NIL (well unless you've sold or signed your rights away) and non-athletes have always been able to to monetize it at will, though most people's has no monetary value. On the other hand, the only reason athletes' NIL has value is because of their association to (or maybe more accurately, employment by) the team. It is fairly common in the corporate world for employers to say you can't use your employment status to drive the value of your NIL. There are already cases of 17 year-olds who have yet to touch the field being offered millions of dollars and I'm thinking that may not be healthy if we are sticking with the myth that athletics are a side gig of a primarily educational endeavor. The likely scenario I see developing is that the P5 schools have NIL agents and bundlers that basically offer cash bonuses as part of the recruitment arms race, furthering the delta between the have and have-not programs. The argument in favor of this kind of stuff has been led by NFL and NBA players who acknowledge that a lot of athletes receive free tuition, room, and board but they don't think it's reasonable for athletes to have a campus job, which leaves them short of clubbing money. Of course, non-athletic scholarships rarely cover room and board and there are lots of students who don't really have time for a campus job that have to get one anyway. I'm sure that giving 17 year-olds a million dollars of clubbing money won't lead to any problems.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!