• movielover

Internet burying traditional media, newspaper ads gone, no revenue to pay writers.

They pushed out Swanson for this new PA guy? Swanson had excitement.
  • Zander
    Yeah that's a good point about the disruption, it did seem to me like the Ags just weren't getting much contact behind the LOS or getting many hands on the ball itself during pass D.

My seats this year don't have a very good angle and I always forget to look at the board, were we stacking the box a lot after the first couple of Idaho drives? It seems to me there just weren't enough blue shirts to go around against those short/mid passes
  • Riveraggie
    Regarding unsportsmanlike penalty after TD call, how can players risk doing choreographed skits when the rule prohibits:
    “Any delayed, excessive, prolonged or choreographed act by which a player (or players) attempts to focus attention upon himself (or themselves).”

Leaving aside the wisdom or stupidity of the rule, it’s pretty clear.
  • movielover
    Not elite behavior, but it's a new iPhone generation.
  • movielover
    No highlight clip of TT zigzagging back n forth on that one run?

(I went to the kitchen to make a quick bite, and we had marched down the entire field.)
  • NCagalum
    You have got to be kidding. Went to bed thinking there is no way the Ags were going to win, then the magic started. Just finished watching it. Give credit to the coaches for shaking things up both offensively and defensively. Blitzing and pressure really befuddled Beaudry and then magic was magic. Blocked kick, interception, and tipped pass that was completed - some things have to go your way in special seasons.

Bottom line on my mind is that these days you really need a mobile qb to give yourself the best chance to win. The first TD with TT was set up by a packed box thinking that it would be a sure run. O’Keefe and Harrell were having a picnic in the end zone.
  • DrMike
    they replaced Swanson with somebody that worked the Sac Kings games and that guy was good. I thought I heard this guy was from the Kings also but it’s been a big drop off.
  • cmt
    There isn't really a good logical explanation for it.

The main reason is you still need a TD anyway so you're not changing anything on that front. Yes, you win the game then with a TD rather than going to OT but that's not that big of a difference. The other big reason is there's only 4 minutes left so there's no guarantee you get the ball back. You're also going to need to get a stop anyway, might as well take two shots at getting the TD rather than 1.

I know their defense played well for most of the game so maybe he did have faith in his D. Problem is, most of the game we had a different QB in. Tompkins comes in and we march it right down their throat two times in a row. You've got to factor that in. I know they got the stop but we did pick up one 1st down on that drive and had only a 3rd and 3. Pick that up and it's game over.

It's also a bad decision because it was 4th and 4 and they ended up gaining nearly 500 yards in the game. 500 yards and you don't have faith in your offense to pick up 4? You averaged 6.8 yards per play in the game! Just a bad look. Even if their offense was performing poorly on the day, that would be even more reason to go for it since you'd be no lock to get the ball back down to our 17 yard line again.

About the only situation you could justify kicking a FG down 7 with 4 minutes left is if it was 4th and very long (like 15+ yards). Even like 4th and 8 to 10, it's still a decent bet you pick it up.
  • DrMike
    one of the knocks on Tucker was the inability to get off the field on 3rd downs. Saturday Idaho we 5-15 on third downs which is a pretty decent defensive result. Made them punt 7 times despite the big yardage. I think we’re relying a bit on Whelan pinning teams back, and not giving up the long plays (well, except the first long run!).

They scored 40 seconds into game, 13 more the other 59:20. Even the dreaded TOP wasn’t as lopsided as you would expect based on yards.

That being said, I hate the lone, deep safety. Seems like we’re playing a man short
  • Riveraggie
    I wasn’t saying we’re not improved over Tucker’s teams. But still room for improvement. I’ve never heard what Matt Coombs thoughts are. Whatever his philosophy, no complaints on the results.
    However from a fans perspective it seems like our receivers have a tougher time getting open than the other teams. Weber defenders seem to play right at the limit of pass interference, and we don’t seem to challenge receivers to the same degree. We turn things up in spots though.
  • DrMike
    gotcha. I didn’t mean that as a Tucker v Coombs, just an observation about possible mindset based on stats (which can always be interpreted in many ways).
  • movielover
    Good point on WRs. My amateur guess is that when we play Berkeley, Tulsa, Weber, we keep a TE or two home, and have less QB time for the Deep pattern to develop. Which would also limit blockers if we dumped it off to UG.

I believe Harrell and Crawford have speed, and HR threw some semi deep balls vs San Diego (appeared deeper than JM).
  • Zander
    https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/302

Aggies' overall stats are pretty funny going into this week. Barring injuries at least 3 guys with a TD pass this year are going to to get PT against Idaho State. Crawford's QB rating is comical at 665.

I thought opponents' media was overhyping our rushing attack a bit but they're really not, every UCD rusher who's likely to actually see the field in a close game is averaging over 4 ypc. And this is after stats were brought back to earth vs Weber and Idaho's defenses.
  • cmt
    Crawford's QB rating is comical at 665.Zander

I've always loved the college QB rating simply because it's uncapped. If you complete 1 pass for 99 yards and a TD, it's 1261.6. Conversely, if you complete 1 pass for -99 yards, your rating is -731.6. NFL is boring since it goes from 0 to 158.3.
  • Riveraggie
    You know that series following the disputed catch at about 12 minutes to go in the fourth quarter where we forced Idaho to punt? After Idaho picked up nine yards on first down with a pass, they tried to send their heavy running back,, Carter up the middle on 2nd and 1. Suani was at nose tackle and he dropped Carter for about a one yard loss, looked like an unassisted tackle to me, Then they tried up the middle again and there’s a crowd there, but I think Suani was in the middle of it. He’s turned into a very effective nose tackle. He’s not just hard to move, he gets penetration.
1910111213Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!