• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies finish up their SoCal road trip with a 2 pm game today at Santa Barbara. The Ags won at CSUN on Thursday 58-50.

Live TV on ESPN+ at 2 pm.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    If you happen to be watching the game on espn plus, the guy doing color is Greg Silver who grew up in Davis, played bball for Davis high. If you are an nfl fan, his dad is Mike Silver how has worked for Sports illustrated, Yahoo sports and the nfl network.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The ice cold shooting Aggies are fortunate to trail only by 5 at 27-22 at the half. Ragged game by both teams. Offensive rebounds have helped keep the game within reach. Live stats is not working but the shooting percentage has been miserable.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags come out flat at the start of the second half and quickly fall behind by 11 with sloppy play. Then Jen called a timeout and lit into her team. Wow...I've never seen Jen so livid and animated with her team and I do mean LIVID!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    That was easily the most animated I’ve ever seen Gross. She is so pissed.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Can't really blame her. Extremely poor play all around by the Aggies. Trail by 17 now.
  • MTBAggie
    Wow! This one got exciting!
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags finally woke up in the 4th quarter after falling behind by 17 but lose to the Gauchos for the first time since 2017 by a score of 65-62.
  • agalum
    What’s with our lady aggies? I dont follow them closely, but this year they seem to be jekyll and hyde.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    it’s been as strange a year for the women as I can remember. If you boil it down to one stat, it’s turnovers that have changed this team that only lost one key member from a BW championship team to mid BW team. Yes we haven’t shot as well and our defense hasn’t been consistent, but I think we could overcome those if we didn’t turn the ball over 15 times a game (to our opponents 11 per game). And honestly, it’s not the raw numbers of turnovers but the kind of turnovers. A lot seem to be unforced, more mental than anything. Very strange considering how veteran this team is. Maybe just the sheer pressure to achieve has been hard to deal with. But, win four games in March in Henderson nv and all is right.
  • Russ Bowlus
    In my opinion: the offense hasn't clicked for an entire game yet this year. Players are thinking about what's happening next instead of reacting and it makes passes slow and predictable. Defence has been fine--Davis leads the conference in scoring defence--but the offence drops the ball (ba-dum) for at least one quarter a game.
  • eastbayaggie
    I also heard the commentators say that UC Davis is one of the worst in the country in the "steals" category.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Allowing or producing?
  • Russ Bowlus
    I don't think there's a good correlation between steals and record, though. South Carolina (kinda good!) only averages one more steal per game than Davis, for example.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The most telling stat about the team turnover problem this year is the Turnover Margin stat. The Turnover Margin is calculated by subtracting the number of times a team turned the ball over from the number of times their opponent turned the ball over. So you want that stat to be a positive number, the higher the better.

However, the Aggies, as a team for the season, have one of the worst Turnover Margins in all of D1 basketball. They rank #332 out of 348 teams with a negative Turnover Margin of a -4.42. We have 371 turnovers to our opponents 265 so far this season and that continues to be a huge problem. It is by far the worst Turnover Margin in the Big West Conference.

As talented as the Aggies are, they have been very sloppy with the ball and commit way too many unforced errors each game. Turnovers are very critical in basketball not only because it gives away possessions but also because it is demoralizing for the players when they make so many mistakes which can carry over to poor execution on both ends of the floor. Turnovers also energize the opponents and often lead to game changing, offensive runs.

Simply put, when you combine lots of turnovers with long stretches of cold shooting, you will not be able to win with any kind of consistency.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-women/d1/current/team/516/p7
  • Russ Bowlus
    ps. one of the stats that combines all of the above observations is "points per possession." Unfortunately, the NCAA stats page doesn't track this. :( In the past, Davis has been comfortably above 1; I wouldn't be surprised to find that they are a couple tenths below that this year between TOs and overall lower offensive efficiency.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!