• CA Forever
    I doubt that Sac will really be resting guys unless they start blowing us out early. They are on the verge of a perfect season, it's a rivalry game, and they have the chance to douse what remaining playoff chances we have. They want to win this one and they want to win it badly.
  • AggieFinn2
    One way to avoid parking hassles (and a good # of hornet fans in the parking lot) if you're already in Sacramento/Rancho Cordova/Folsom is to take the lightrail. There's a stop at University/65th that is a short walk away. You just walk past the 7-11 toward Elvas and there's a pedestrian/bicycle path to the university under the railroad tracks. On the other side you see the baseball stadium on your left + football on the right. This takes you around the back of the stadium so you can sneak past + save a few bucks on parking. Different idiots on the train but but most of them don't care about the game.
  • cmt
    And if they get a top-2 seed they lock up home field until the title game if they make it that far. Lose and they run the risk of dropping and facing a road game at Montana St or North Dakota St (depending on the results of other games and how the seeds shake out) in the semis if the teams advance that far.
  • movielover
    Both of our young Coordinators will be tested this Saturday.
  • 72Aggie

"Does Sac rest some players?"

Sac players will probably get a rest in any event. They are almost certain to get a first round bye the following weekend.
  • agalum
    I received an email today from athletics with a link to purchase tickets. It takes you to AXS ticket sales. You get two options, will call for an additional fee or download their app to access your tickets without an additional fee. It seems like everyone wants you to download another app. Why not provide a digital image of your tickets without the app? End of ramp.
  • movielover
    Underdog Dynasty

"#24 UC Davis (6-4) - Last Week: NR

"No team in the country is hotter right now than UC Davis. Once left for dead at 1-4 at the start of October, the Aggies have reeled off five straight wins including a dominant one over Idaho last Saturday evening in Moscow. Ulonzo Gilliam Jr. ran the ball 31 times for 173 yards and three touchdowns. On a day where Miles Hastings had zero passing touchdowns, Gilliam’s performance came up huge and for the fifth time in a row the Aggies offense put up over 40 points. If they can pull off an upset against #2 Sacramento State in the “Causeway Classic” this weekend then they’re almost for sure in."

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2022/11/15/23459089/fcs-top-25-recap-sacramento-state-uc-davis-south-dakota-state-north-dakota-state-montana-state
  • 69aggie
    I would guess that sac would try and exploit the Aggies emotions going into this game with a lot of plays to take advantage of this. Draw plays. Bubble screen plays. Whatever attack they can put on that situation. Taylor was a very talented OC. The Aggie players will be ready. Will our very young and less experienced coaches be able to deal with this game? I think it will come down to a coaches game. IMHO
  • movielover
    With Scattebo, not a ton of deception. Can you tackle him? Can our D line get a push, will we load the box? It gets complicated with their #2 QB, very mobile, and RB #2 also runs downhill.

Can we get a few turnovers?
  • agalum
    My biggest concern is stopping O’hara. He is essentially an option QB. As i recall, when we used to play option teams there was always a designated defender assigned to him. But I’m certainly not a football strategist. I just know we need to limit him.
  • CA Forever
    What make O'Hara dangerous is that he can actually throw the ball even though he looks to run first. He has a higher completion percentage and a much better TD:INT ratio than Dunniway. Skattebo is really really good, but I think it's O'Hara that makes that offense as a whole work.
  • CA Forever
    Dunning takes the Ags by 3. Who saw that one coming :rofl:
  • AggieFinn
    Sac has only had 4 home games all year, this will be their 5th.
  • NCagalum
    I’ll take it if it results in anything like the Idaho game with similar prediction. I thin the line is something like Aggies +7. I think South Dakota State folks (and to some extent Montana State folks) have more confidence than we do. Of course they both would like to see a UCD victory.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Excerpt from a nice article by Bob Dunning about the history of the Causeway Classic:

It’s nice to see these longtime rivals continue their unbroken rivalry, no matter what’s at stake for either school. It’s still for local bragging rights, of course, but this year there’s a great deal more on the line for both schools, which makes it all the more interesting.

And that’s a good thing for players and fans and students and alums alike. Let the good times roll.

Aggies, 27-24.

https://www.apple.com/shop/gifts/shopping-event
  • AggieFinn2
    3 is so arbitrary. Why wouldn't he give the Aggies 28 pts ? Is he envisioning a scenario where the Aggies score a touchdown down 24-21 with seconds remaining+ they miss the extra point, or that they kick one more field goal ? Why not 31-24 ?
  • Toke69
    Since both teams upgraded to the FCS, what is the rivalry record in the Causeway Classic?
  • AggieFinn

Anybody want to look at the record? Since what, 2004?

Looks like the Aggies are 11-6 vs. Sac as of 2004.
  • movielover
    Is TT 2-0 vs us, or 3-0?
  • AggieFinn

Taylor is 2-0 vs. Dan Hawkins. TT's Sac teams beat the Davis squad in 2019 and 2021...2020 was the abbreviated COVID spring season year. Sac opted out, and Davis played.

Of note, it was the 2018 Reno Beatdown vs. Sac in the forest fire year that triggered Taylor's hiring I think. Taylor has been Big Sky Coach of the Year in 2019 and 2021...he was named Eddie Robinson Coach of the Year in 2019, the year after Dan Hawkins had won the same national FCS honor.

Both seasons that Sac had made the playoffs, '19 and '21, they've lost in their first playoff game. 2019 to Austin Peay, and 2021 to South Dakota State (the same SDSU team that beat up on Davis that last post-season). In both seasons, Sac had secured a home game and 1st Round Bye.

To date, I think this 2022 squad is the best that Taylor has put on the field. They will be potent on Saturday, and Davis better strap it up and be ready to play from minute zero.
  • cmt
    Guessing he just picked a random likely 3 point score. But he's probably thinking that UCD kicks a pair of FGs during the game.
  • Toke69
    I found a history of the rivalry, but at what point were both schools in the FCS?
  • AggieFinn
    About 2004, the transition was in effect, Davis was strong in '04 and '05 (beat Stanford, challenged strong FCS programs) but they were also inconsistent, such was QB Jon Grant. Aggies own the historical series, but that trend is moving back right now with Sac being so strong.
  • Toke69
    Recognizing that it is invalid to compare scores against common opponents, I would still like to note that such a comparison of a recent opponent might have some validity. Idaho played Sac State and UCD in consecutive weeks, losing to both, but to Sac State away and the Aggies at home. The scores are a bit deceptive given that the margin of the UCD victory was 18, while the Hornets squeaked by on a 3 point margin. Given that we out scored Idaho on the road while amassing 456 total yards, makes me feel optimistic about beating Sac State which got only 391 yards while playing at home. Next, I plan to check the tea leaves.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Sac will be sky high for this one with a huge home crowd behind them. They are a complete football team with no significant weaknesses and they can hurt you in so many ways on offense. O'Hara will be tough to contain and Skattebo is a load who runs around and over people. They also have excellent receivers who have good hands and speed. Defensively, they swarm to the ball with a corp of tough LB's and good DB's.

Troy Taylor has shown that he is a remarkable coach and play caller too so we're going to have our hands full. We'll need to take advantage of every opportunity we get and play mistake free football. If not, Sac has the kind of team that could run away with the game.
  • DavisAggie
    It's never invalid to compare scores common opponents, as a whole
  • agalum
    Well, one thing is for sure, we’ve been right on the cusp of beating the top FCS teams. And we will be right there on Saturday as long as we aren’t coughing up the ball. I absolutely hate loosing to these guys. Go Ags!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!