• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies had perhaps their best effort, albeit a losing one, in their last game at Nevada. The Ags went toe-to-toe with the Wolf Pack and the 3 officials before losing the game due to the all the points that Nevada was able to score at the FT line (32-44). Even though we came home with a loss, there were some very bright spots for the Aggies: namely doing a great job on defense and rebounding and also the much needed, offensive emergence of Kane Milling. We need Milling to continue to score in double digits to take some of the pressure off Pepper and Johnson especially since TY has not really been scoring as consistently as he usually does.

The Aggie defense was tenacious and hard-nosed at Nevada and we will to continue to play D like that since we haven't shown that we are going to be a fearsome offensive team. The Ags are currently forcing their opponents into 18.3 TO's per game but it doesn't do us much good when we turn around and average 17 TO's per game ourselves. That needs to improve dramatically.

On paper this game appears to be a toss-up with both teams shooting similar percentages and both shooting only 68% from the FT line. Like the Aggies, the Panthers are not exceptionally big. Hopefully, we'll get some good minutes from Borra and it would be great if we were to see Mani in uniform for the first time this year. I'm beginning to wonder if he may be out until the start of Big West play or out for the entire season.

The Vegas betting minds currently have the Aggies as 7.5 point favorites. Let's hope they know something.

Go Ags!
  • agalum
    We’ll be there rooting for the Ags!
  • Toke69
    Last year, the Aggies lost to Milwaukee in Wisconsin despite T Y Johnson's 32 points. The Panthers shot a blistering 62% from beyond the arc. What I recall from that game and seems to be their pattern this year is that they have a deep bench, with some high scoring guards coming off of it. Still, I hope the fact that the Ags are at home this time will make a difference. Wish I could see the whole game, but I have a major commitment and will miss the second half.
  • BlueGoldAg
    If my son comes up from San Francisco we won't be going to the game and probably won't be able to watch it live either.
  • BlueGoldAg
    My wife and I will be at the game after all. Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Didn’t see Ade warming up. Hopefully nothing too serious

Edit. He’s in a boot
  • BlueGoldAg
    Losé is back, Mani still out too
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags playing hard and fast…up 11-4
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Good energy to start. TY is playing very well
  • BlueGoldAg
    3 straight poor possessions by the Ags and Les is NOT happy!
  • Toke69
    How does a guy who is 7 feet tall miss an uncontested dunk? Oh well, at least TY is playing up to his game against Milwaukee last year.
  • Toke69
    Not exactly a shooting clinic. The two teams are a combined 2 for 16 from beyond the arc. Pepper is 1 for 4 and he has been having trouble finding his shot in recent games, I guess as teams focus on him.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It’s amazing how poorly this team can play for long stretches
  • BlueGoldAg
    39-35 Milwaukee at the half. Missed layups, missed dunk, TO’s, defensive lapses…won’t win you many games…
  • Toke69
    Very frustrating half after they got off to such a good start. So many blown layups. I counted 10 points worth, so it could be 45-39, Aggies. Hope when I get back I can see that the team made the necessary corrections, got their focus back.
  • agalum
    FG% killing us. 65% to our 45%
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags lose 81-79
  • movielover
    Milwaukee had balanced scoring, 9 scored, 6 more rebounds, but committed more TOs.

Next, at struggling UOP.
  • Toke69
    Nuts! No sense in watching the replay, but the ESPN play-by-play site shows that T Y committed a foul with the game tied and 2 seconds left to allow the Panthers to win it with free throws. Is that the wholes story? (Although I do see that the Ags finished 3 of 18 from 3.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I was able to listen to the radio, post-game interview with Coach Les on the drive home from the game. As would be expected he was pretty disappointed with how the Aggies played. Here are some things he wasn't happy with:

- "We allowed a team that was shooting below 40% on the season come into our house and shoot 58%." He said, "I don't need to see anything else. That tells me everything I need to know."
    - We got off to a good start and were up 21-9 early but then a missed dunk, a missed layup, a TO on a poor pass to a wide open Borra and then blown defensive assignment and the lead was gone. So, instead of pulling away to a big lead, we let them get back in the game on our mistakes.

-He said that TY did not make good decisions on our final possession for the potential game winner. The play was for TY to drive to the basket but, if it was covered, he was to kick it out. He drove to the basket and it was covered by 3 Milwaukee players but he went ahead and forced the shot instead of kicking the ball out and then he fouled on the rebound which led to FT's with 2.9 seconds left and Milwaukee won the game. He said you simply can not foul when the game is tied with 2.9 seconds left and they don't have a timeout. Instead we put them on the line and lost the game.

-Finally, he said, "This team needs to figure out who they want to be."

I'll also add that most guard rich teams rely heavily on driving to the basket and 3 point shooting. We get to the basket pretty well and draw a lot of fouls but we are only shooting 68% from the line. We are also shooting poorly from 3 at only 32% on the season. No one is shooting well from beyond the arc.

Also, after having his best offensive game of the year at Nevada, Milling struggled to score again. I'm beginning to think a whole lot of it has become mental for him. I can't imagine he shoots this poorly in practice.

The thing that concerns me the most is that I don't think this team is getting better and there are only 3 games to go before the conference starts. If we don't improve rather dramatically in our next 3 games, I think we'll be among the bottom 3 teams in the conference from what I've seen of us and the other conference teams.
  • movielover
    I'm told at the end Pepper was wide open for a 3.
  • BlueGoldAg
    He may have been. I'd have to see the replay to be sure but I think that they probably set the play up for Pepper to open if TY couldn't get to the basket. Milwaukee collapsed on TY and he pivoted around before putting up a prayer so he just may not have seen Pepper if he was open.

The big mistake was when TY fouled on the rebound. The Milwaukee player had the inside position and ball and TY reached over him for the foul. There was no chance for TY to get to the ball and Milwaukee had no time outs so it would have been tough for them to go the length of the floor with no set play and score. Instead of going to OT, they go to the line and win the game.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!