• CA Forever
    I haven't been able to find it, but apparently Hawkins released a depth chart where he lists like 3 or 4 players as potential starters for basically every position. He's really going with the element of surprise for SDSU. Article does mention that Maier has the QB position locked up and that Williams will be getting starts at RB, but several other RBs are pushing hard to get the starts. Names Layton, Gilliam, and Modise.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/its-showtime-for-new-feel-uc-davis/
  • movielover
    New Sac Bee article had Hawk saying we could be a sleeping King Kong (??)... and extolling Dr. Mike's exploits as an Aggie. Haven't learned how to link yet from a smartphone.

Hawk known as Opie when he played, and his son Cody Hawkins is now a late addition to the Aggie coaching staff.
  • CA Forever
    Looks like we're going with the shiny, dark gold, script Davis helmets on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/UCD_Equipment/status/903121490664595456
  • DrMike
    i believe most will be there after halftime; apparently the fireworks are a big deal. getting into the stadium (i'm planning on the trolley from old town) will be easy, getting out might be a drag.
  • Zander
    The fireworks game last year had many if not most attendees for the full game as I recall. I think 25-30k butts in seats for the actual game might be a reasonable expectation.

Trolley is a good plan and I recommend it to anybody else who's going. You're right about getting out; just be prepared to wait at the station for a while and get your day pass or return ticket in advance.
  • BlueGoldAg

Excerpts from today's Bee article:

“We used to be the big kid on the block and now we’re the up-and-coming kid on the block,” Hawkins said. “We’ve got some catching up to do. We have to maximize us.”

Hawk studied his surroundings, lost in thought.

“It’s a great place to be,” he said. “I remember as a player here we had a guy, Mike Shaw, who was doing jumping jacks, ‘Aggie Jacks,’ and he goes, ‘Yes! Yes!’ What? ‘I just solved the equation that was in my head!’ He was No. 1 in his class in nuclear physics. That’s what this place does. A couple of weeks ago, our players were talking about the Declaration of Independence, when it was signed, what it means. How many college football players do that? Hey, act like you’re in college! Hilarious!”

The coach paused, then added, “It’s like going into the jungle and seeing King Kong sleeping. ‘Hey, wake up! Wake up!’ The potential here is limitless. Who would’ve guessed I’d be back here? By the grace of God, something good is happening here.”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/hometown-report/article170314287.html#storylink=cpy
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bob Dunning is now covering Aggie football for the Davis Enterprise. The following article by him is an excellent and lengthy overview of the team heading into Hawkins' inaugural game as the Aggie HC:

Excerpts:

Asked if the Football Championship Subdivision (the former NCAA I-AA) and the Big Sky specifically are the right fit for the Aggies, Hawkins says only “For now, yes.”

But, he adds, “This is a world-class university with 35,000 students and every other sport we have plays in Division I. We have a long way to go in terms of infrastructure and funding, but (athletic director) Kevin Blue is doing a great job and things are on the upswing. It reminds me a bit of a ‘King Kong’ movie when he wakes up and starts moving around a little bit. People better watch out.”

And an indication of the support Aggie Athletics have from Chancellor May:

"When you have a world-class university, it’s important to get out there and let people see who you are.”

Or, as new Chancellor Gary May explains it …

“If you integrate it properly, athletics can be the front porch to a great university.”

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/hawkins-aims-to-make-aggie-stadium-the-place-to-be-on-fall-saturdays/
  • BlueGoldAg
    According to another Enterprise article, the Aggies will get $400,000 for playing the Aztecs. The article also discusses the 2017 schedule game by game.

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggies-having-a-daunting-2017-football-schedule/
  • Bige70
    These were great articles that have lowered my productivity today. I love Hawk's "for now" comment on the BSC. Too early to start the "UCD to the MWC" thread? ;)
  • BlueGoldAg
    We've got to walk before we run but I love the open sense of direction we're thinking about.
  • movielover
    Any watch parties is SF, Davis, or East Bay?
  • Bige70
    I'll settle for a winning record as the goal for now.
  • movielover
    Evidently Plough didn't get the memo that loose lips sink ships.

I watched a few short Aztec videos. They are talking about Stanford, ASU, Boise State... and occasionally they throw out our name. Can you say overlooked?

Containing Perry seems to be one key, possibly exploiting their green offensive line, and keep the TOs down!!!
  • CA Forever
    Ehhh it's Thursday. SDSU isn't going to dramatically their game plan at this point and Long already mentioned that they studied up on our coaches past schemes which includes Plough's offense from NAU and Speckman being the god father of the fly offense so they to a degree probably already knew what to expect. Yeah on their fan boards they've been talking more about ASU than Davis. Their fans are overlooking us for sure, don't know about the team though.
  • movielover
    Hawk has been incredibly vague, going so far as to not even release an accurate 2 deep. So they are clearly on a different page. Guessing what will come, and being told what will come, are 2 different things. Unless this is another diversion.
  • Zander
    Can't seem to find the article you were referencing; did it get pulled?
  • Bige70
    I don't think saying that there will be elements of pro style, spread and fly sweep allows anyone to prepare too much. Those are all very different offenses standing alone. Might as well also say there will be elements of triple option and wing-t. Holding back on the 2-deep is more controlling in the info-wars. Personnel can help you guess better at scheme, I would think.
  • CA Forever
    It appears that the article I was reading got edited and no longer includes that information. Looks like Plough let the cat outta the bag before he was supposed to.
  • CA Forever
    I do think it's funny that a lot of the SDSU media is talking about the QB battle between Dale and Spencer and how that Spencer is the dual thread guy and Dale is the pro style guy and up here most people seem to believe that it will be Maier who gets the job. I mean, he's been running the 1st team offense at all of the scrimmages.
  • movielover
    Why make their life easier? Is this our DII mindset, or a lack of street smarts?
  • CA Forever
    Do you want me to delete it lol. Rocky Long has been around for a long time. I guarantee that they have prepared for aspects of the spread and pro style (only some of the most common sets in the game). Long also mentioned in one of his interviews that they watched film on our coaches at previous times in their career. They know Speckman is all about the fly.
  • movielover
    11 true freshmen or RF will see significant action. Coach Long said they were beat a few years ago by an FCS team in similiar circumstances.

Aztecs expecting 50,000 fans for game.
  • Bige70
    @CA Forever - I think you wrote essentially what I meant to say. Nothing Plough said gives SDSU any more information than they already had. Hawk is wily and most of his staff have been around the block a few times. I'm sure they will keep SDSU guessing at least for the first few series. I'm pretty sure if we lose to SDSU it won't be because of what was in a Davis Enterprise article or something posted on Aggiesportstalk.com.
  • Zander
    While I kind of agree that this information probably isn't very useful, remember that I'm an SDSU athletics employee. I probably won't have any interaction with the football team or staff before Saturday but it puts me in a really awkward position to see game plan stuff and have to decide what to do with it.

These forums are definitely public, and if the staff and DE doesn't want to publish something then AST shouldn't either IMO.
  • CA Forever
    If you wanna run off to the football team with the "gameplan" then go ahead but it still isn't anything that Long doesn't already know. If SDSU is going to win it's because they are a bigger, faster, and more imposing team that's a division up and vying for a top 25 spot. You guys are being ridiculous.
  • Bige70
    Exactly @CA Forever. This is reminded me of when Gould blamed "spies" at our practice for us getting crushed a few years ago, and then closing practices to the public. Some paranoia is good, but worrying about this stuff is tin-foil-hat territory.
  • Zander
    99% chance it goes exactly as you say. SDSU wins on Saturday with what they already know, which is pretty close to what you posted, and because they're the better team.

If the Aggies pull the upset though, then it's probably going to be close, and that's where every little bit would have helped. That's where I get concerned about having to look staff and players in the eye next week knowing that I saw info that maybe could have led to some minor tweaks to the D in the first quarter or something.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!