• Riveraggie
    The fly sweep is typically run with a flanker, like Moore. The basic play is where the flanker crosses between the shotgun QB and the line and either gets a handoff, a shovel pass or is faked to. The guys running it are fast enough. But as noted it has usually been strung out to the sideline or disrupted by penetration. However to see how this works as a system of plays, here is an interesting study of Montana:
    http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/film-study-u/offense-film-study-u/2016/06/06/bob-stitts-offense-montanta-fly-sweep-screen-concepts/
    The fly motion shifts the formation strength and the D has to react to it. The fly guy can get a toss, a screen pass, be a blocker or run a pattern. So maybe this is actually working for us even though the sweeps haven't gained big yardage.
  • Riveraggie
    Sac is not at the same level as SUU in regards to reputation. SUU was a playoff team, SUU is 7-2. The California teams in general are kind of viewed as weak sisters. Also we haven’t scored a touchdown against SUU for a few years. So beating SUU would make more of a statement than beating Sac, fairly or not. We are kind of in a situation with Sac after dominating for decades that beating them is kind of viewed as a dog bites man event. Nationally no one is going to go Wow! Davis beat Sac!. Even if they might be the better team.
  • DrMike
    agree. SUU would raise some eyeballs. We will really have to play our best game by far to win. Listening to coaches tonight, their defense is legit, especially the interior. Having 97 out tomorrow would help the cause
  • shaolinhoward
    Cool article on the history and spread of the fly sweep along with some shoutouts to Hawk and Coach Speckman: From one valley to the other, how the 'fly' offense — or jet sweep — arrived at LSU
  • SochorField
    Hawkins came into this thing saying he was really excited, but also we have a long way to go.

Defensive line and Secondary seem to be problems, as well as the Offensive Line.
    Hawkins has been able and willing to utilize our best players better than Gould. Doss has gone from 5th to 1st in stats, Maeir is at the top of the conference. We have a good QB who can rid of the ball quickly- which he has to do because he has little time.

Overall I think we are deficient in many areas, like last year....but the level of coaching is so much higher its made a huge difference (moral, play calling, in-game decisions)

No matter what anyone says, I've had way more fun this year with a shot at 6 wins, than I did going 2-9.

Some comparisons to last year:

BIG SKY CONFERENCE

OFFENSE
    2016 Total Offense 7th
    2017 Total Offense 3rd

2016 Scoring Offense 9th
    2017 Scoring Offense 6th

2016 Rushing Offense 10th (Luuga)
    2017 Rushing Offense 12th

2016 Passing Offense 7th
    2017 Passing Offense 1st

DEFENSE
    2016 Scoring Defense 10th
    2017 Scoring Defense 9th

2016 Total Defense 8th
    2017 Total Defense 10th

2016 Rushing Defense 9th
    2017 Rushing Defense 9th

2016 Pass Defense 6th
    2017 Pass Defense 9th
  • aggie6thman
    @SochorField Those are conference rankings?
  • movielover
    Interesting how some defensive players stats vary widely. Jameson studs out, then plays less or drops off. Parenteau started like a beast, then numbers declined after short absence. Graham was a top defender for us a few years ago. Maybe situational?
  • movielover
    In today's Davis Enterprise Bob Dunning gives a mini recap of the season. They speak as if Doss is coming back, and detail the 2018 schedule. Two FBS schools, Stanford and San Jose State, and Idaho at home. Montana also on the schedule.

No analysis.
  • DrMike
    That’s essentially three FBS games and Stanford is a meat grinder. I thought the years of two FBS were done
  • aggie6thman
    The games versus FBS schools have to be scheduled years in advance. My guess is we are no longer scheduling multiple FBS games but have to play ones we already signed for. If not, we fork over cash to buy out the contract.
  • Riveraggie
    we can beat San Jose State, and probably would have this year. I’d like to see us play them every year. Natural rivalry against a team which is sometimes no better than us.
  • movielover
    Ours odds at Stanford are better with Doss and without Love.
  • Kerberos
    Wow, Idaho coming to Aggie Stadium? I know they're officially an FCS squad in 2018, but I'm assuming they still have FBS quality talent. Does this mean our entire OOC schedule will be vs. FBS level teams?
  • movielover
    Plus USD again, I believe.
  • agalum
    Need to get out of those games without any major injuries.
  • DrMike
    I know we’re at USD in 2019. I think the second home game is 2020 but not certain. When they announced cal and Stanford they made a point about only FBS a year. Makes me wonder if San Jose is a late add.
  • movielover
    Read Dunning, end of article.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t think Idaho is much different than a middle of the pack BigSky team.
  • DrMike
    got it. Had to clear my cookies so I could read the article. Probably should subscribe
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!