• Zander
    On to the NIT :/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Considering everything that this team has done since Chima went out, I would say they damn near overachieved. Proud of this team.

I do not, however, like losing 3 times to Fullerton. I had a ton of respect for Dedrique Taylor until he pulled that stunt in Fullerton where he called out Les and Nosek at the end of a game that his team won by 15 points and nearly started a brawl. He'll gloat over this 3peat.
  • DrMike
    I think they just ran out of gas. Silar and TJ were 7-23 from the field with 7 turnovers. Hard to overcome that
  • BlueGoldAg
    Siler had a tough game last night also.
  • aggies07
    If that’s the case, this defeat will be on Les. When you look at CSUF, their bench guys have no problem contributing both offense and defense while our offense is primarily run by Shorts and Siler (both are MIA in the 2nd half).
  • movielover
    D Taylor - Why did he call them out?

Gotta hit your free throws, and when you're up 12, don't lose focus. Our delayed TO may have cost us.

Out of gas at 22? I think TJ was off the first game, too.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Sucks to have a bench of 9...and 2 in foul trouble early. Wasn’t meant to be.

Still want those TOs, Jim?
  • aggies07
    I don’t think being beaten 3 times in a year is a coincidence. 4 major contributors each avg 10+ points are huge achievement and all of them are returning (I don’t see any of them go pro this year). When I see our back court defending Allen and Ahmed, you can see their fears from their positioning.
    ESPN commentators said Printup is dead on both ears, is it true?
  • movielover
    We shot 36%?

What illness is it that D Jackson has?
  • aggies07
    having a bench of 9 isn’t a problem, but having a bench can’t step up and make shot when their numbers are called does. Only Joe can make shot ( I wasn’t sure what happened to Henning but his game drops quite a bit this season)
  • aggie08
    Tough pill to swallow. We truly blew it. That said, we really overachieved this yr. This team has a lot less talent (esp w/o Chima) yet won in SB and beat Irvine twice. On to the NIT.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, I think he is profound hearing loss but he can talk just fine. Not sure if he reads lips? He wears two hearing aids during the game. I did see an instance where he may not be able to hear others. The ball got inbounded to TJ and Fullerton was pressing and TJ pulled up his dribble. He looked to are yelling at Printup to come back to the ball but Rogers continued up the court. He may not have been able to hear him...??
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I saw that too and I do think he didn’t hear tj.

Tough loss. Proud of the fight in the team.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just checked the Live Stats play-by-play. Les called a 30 second TO when we were up 12 at the 13:03 mark of the second half. Then Fullerton caught fire and hit 6 of 7 and the Ags turned the ball over 3 times and, suddenly, it was a 3 point game with 8:21 to go when there was a media time out.

Les should have called a time out in the middle of that Fullerton run to try and break their rhythm and give our guys a bread because they were on their heels. I don't often question Les' in-game judgement but I think the team needed a time out to help break Fullerton's momentum.
  • aggies07
    Got it. Just finding it weird when ESPN brought that up ( Fox didn’t).
    Does anyone know our new players ( including Jackson if he didn’t transfer) can improve our 3 points shooting and rebounding ability ?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Taylor because he had his team take a shot clock violation since the Titan's were up 15 with under 30 seconds to go. The Aggies inbounded the ball and Rogers Printup missed a 3 at the horn.

Taylor was pissed because he thought our coaches should have told the Ags to just run the clock out because the game was not in question. He said something volatile to Nosek, a former Aggie teammate of his, and Nosek yelled back. Then Taylor said something inflammatory to Les and Les went ballistic and some players started getting involved. Chima was instrumental in getting his players and Les off the court.

It was a total BS move by Taylor. There's not sportsmanship violation when a sub takes a shot at the buzzer when his team is down by 15.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Jackson is apparently struggling with an illness. He's not a 3 point shooter. He's more of a strong defender and he's very athletic. Stefan Gonzalez, a junior transfer from St Mary's, is a deadly shooter from 3. Redshirt freshman, Gio Nelson, may also be a threat.
  • DrMike
    According to ESPN Nelson is shooting 100% during the live stats. Often when there is a goof up in the score (like giving them 2 when we actually scored) it will show Gio Nelson jump shot. Never misses.

Considering we graduated 5 of our top 6 last year, had a contributor (Henn) transfer and played the second half of conference without Chima, it’s amazing we won the conference and were in the fight for the BWT. Not enough weapons for 3 games in 3 days
  • movielover
    Underwood is a big man, a 20 / 9 guy at SJCC.
  • Zander
    I agree, disappointing game but not a disappointing season.

And it's not over yet, we have an NIT to win.
  • Toke69
    So I start to watch the delayed broadcast of the game tonight and what do I see? The end of the UCI-UCSB game in which they show that UCI will play CSU Fullerton tomorrow! What are they thinking at ESPN? SO I wAs doubly disappointed in finding out the score and knowing the Aggies lost the game. I'll probably watch it, but have nothing to add to this site except my guess that the NIT will have UC Davis matched against Stanford, who is not likely to make the NCAA. I agree with Zander, not a disappointing season given the loss of four (and with Chima, five) starters from last season. We have reason to have high hopes for next year. Go Ags!
  • ucdavisaggie05
    From what I’ve read, Stanford isn’t expected to make the NIT.

There’s an NIT Bracketology page that has us matched up against Arizona State in a 1v8 matchup.
    http://www.nycbuckets.com/current-nit-bracketology/
  • eastcoastag
    Even though I also saw the score of our game, I watched it anyway. Losing AJ John for the entire first half really hurt. Then add in the fact that teams know we have no inside game at all. It becomes much easier for them to defend.Loved the effort though. They really left it all on the court. Whatever happens in this nit, there's no doubt this year has exceeded all my expectations.

Hope that nit bracket is correct. Love to see the aggies play at Maryland next weekend.Better yet would be to switch-out Maryland for Penn State or Temple
  • 72Aggie
    I am afraid this is my fault. I changed my regular coffee cup to one with a UCD logo on it.

Dissappointing result at the Big West Tourney, but we probably shouldn't have been where we were once Chima was suspended. Team has a lot of heart.

Let's get some wins in the NIT!
  • Toke69
    As did eastcoast, I watched the game anyway. I think it was an odd loss. Coach LEss had told the TV guys that is the score was in the 50s, the Ags would win. I'm sure that was predicated on the way the Titans are able to hit their 3s. Allman and Ahmad are prolific scorers and the latter hit something like 56 points in their two victories over UCD earlier. If you had told me that they would be held to only 18 points between them, I would have said "Aggies win!" But no. Up by 12, I am totally confused as to why they list their mojo from about 12 minutes to go in the second half. They held the ball too long and had to rush shots and I think that put their offense totally out of rhythm. Too, they relied way too much on perimeter shooting throughout the game. TJ Shorts was not as aggressive as he usually is and, of course, they missed free throws at the end. No one thing cost them the game but the compounding of those factors. ucdavisaggie05 sent a link to the NIT and it does predict Stanford to be in it. I suppose the Ags could still draw Arizona State, but the NIT likes to match teams in the same region, so Stanford is still my prediction and hope. The Cardinal could well do what Cal did last year (losing to CSU Bakersfield) and feel so deflated by missing the NCAA that they don't show up. Ags win!
  • movielover
    We shot 36%, missed 3 of 4 FT at the end, missed a key TO to stop the implosion. Great start of 2nd half by AJ John. Team defintely did well considering challenges.

Any feedback on redshirt big man Underwood?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fullerton beats Irvine 71-55 for the championship and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. I like to root for the Big West teams in post-season but it's hard to like Fullerton because of how they disrespect their opponents. Kyle Allman and Kahlil Ahmad are talented players but they gloat and showboat when they're on a roll. On two occasions tonight when Irvine called a timeout they would bump the Irvine players as they were walking to the bench. They've been doing that kind of stuff all year and Dedrique Taylor doesn't do anything to reign it in.

Taylor took them out in the final minute and they proceeded to go practically into the stands to celebrate with their fans. Taylor had to go and get them to get them back to the bench. Even the TV commentators said, "You played a great game now show some respect."

They were chippy with the Ags last night. It's just part of their style and Taylor allows it.
  • Toke69
    BlueGold: Your sentiments reflect mine exactly.
  • Zander
    I'll be rooting for CSUF to win for the purposes of conference exposure and revenue, but probably won't be watching.

I imagine Fullerton plays with a chip on their shoulder being one of the less-successful programs in recent years. I understand that but now that they're on top they should act like they belong.
  • DrMike
    If it couldn’t be us, I was rooting for Irvine. I like turner and think they get a lot out of their talent. I echo the views on Fullerton. Santa Barbara? I thought bringing back Canty for the BWT and starting him was sketchy. Sounds like they use the exception method to get in some less qualified (questionable) players.

And if Irvine went, turner might have been a candidate at cal since the interim guy led them to a historically bad season. Turner coached there under Montgomery
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!