• movielover
    Should Dr. Blue figure out a way to bring back the classic playoff Cow Bells? The steam engine, cow bells, and Fall weather added a special feeling to Toomey. We could even have 5 or 10 designated alums who promise to follow strict criteria - ie no launching them at the opponents, no assault by cow bell.

I'm sure they also add flavor to a television broadcast as well.
    1. Should the campus allow Cow Bells for the Playoffs? (26 votes)
        Yes!
        88%
        No
        8%
        No opinion
          4%
  • Kerberos
    I'm not familiar with this tradition. What is it?
  • movielover
    Random fans brought in ... Cow Bells! A metal cow bell, maybe 6" x 6".

They would randomly clang them along with fan noise ... but especially when Toomey was rocking. They have a unique sound, and can be loud. It added a fun element.

Edit: Fun little summary here of the cow bell history at Mississippi State. They claim you can FEEL them! FUN!!!

https://youtu.be/Zxm6nT4oGPk
  • agalum
    And the opposing teams hated them! I wonder id they can be used these days to bother opposing QBs during play?
  • movielover
    It's been so long ... why not???
  • 72Aggie
    Really miss the steam traction engine.
  • Aggiescribe
    I really miss the steam engine, too. The Antique Mechanics Club had a great ancient steam engine (not a tractor) with a big, loud whistle that was parked near the southwest corner of Toomey. They would heat the boiler, make steam, and blow the whistle when the Aggies scored. The engine has not been seen in years. In fact, I think it disappeared when the Aggies moved up to D-1AA, presumably because the powers-that-be felt the engine anchored the Aggies a bit too firmly in their Ag School past.

If you win, people let you do almost anything. Bring back the steam engine!
  • agalum

Taking your lead. Cow bell ordered from Amazon. If enough people have them, maybe we can make enough noise to bother the opposing QB. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    I’m reporting you to security! I don’t think I can take a cow bell in the row in front of me!
  • movielover
    There is a problem.. . at some point paper pushers banned them, maybe around the same time food was banned. ... hence the need for Blue or someone to un-ban them, or give a temporary reprieve.
  • AggieFinn
    ...same guys who banned the Bonfire?
  • movielover
    Likely same mindset.

Dunning could help bring it back. He helped bring back outside food.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Tweet away - it may help
  • Riveraggie
    I’m a big fan of the steam engine but there is a valid reason for concern with a 100+ year old steam boiler. Does anyone fire that up anymore?
  • agalum

Ok, we'll just look at it at the tailgate
  • 72Aggie
    Don't know if it is the same engine, but years ago there was one in the Picnic Day parade. Had wood bolted to the metal wheels to keep them from tearing up the street. Between the ag school, engineering school and a lot of farmers in the area*, you'd think someone could keep it operating.

And if as expected, we host UNI, it should be appreciated by at least some of their fans.

*Is there still an antique truck museum in Woodland?
  • quadshock
    Anything is better than the corny first down noises other teams play (e.g. EWU with the screech, SJSU a while back with the THIS IS SPARTA). Anything generated in real time is always 1000x cooler
  • AggieFinn

I will add the Sac State 1st down band notes...are annoying as hell...not U$C annoying, but close.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I remember how the steam engine used to shake and shudder and leak steam from many of the couplings. I always felt a little uneasy being near it wondering if something could go wrong and it would explode! I think it may have been banned for potential safety concerns.
  • agalum

During that same era remember the guy who shot off a sky rocket after each TD? My seats were on the 50 on the east side. He sat behind me. The police always tried to ID him but he was too slick to get caught.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hahaha...I have a vague memory of that. Of course, at my age most of my memories are vague. The games at the Toom were so much fun!
  • Riveraggie
    why do you say the steam engine wasn’t a tractor? It was a self propelled vehicle not requiring a track, driven by big wheels. I think it was a tractor, an early Bio-Mass propelled tractor.
  • agalum
    Case2040.jpgIs this the old steam engine?

https://tractors.ucdavis.edu/?s=Search
    Attachment
    Case2040 (107K)
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t think so. Maybe there are more than one
  • 69aggie
    None of those are THE historic steam engine. I don’t think old steam engines blow up like a bomb; maybe leak a lot of steam out of a failed valve, but no explosion. Bring her out and put some caution tape around it and light her up! If in doubt get a 1 day catastrophic insurance policy to cover the risk. Maybe the later would need the Regents approval, so forget that. But first we have to find her!
  • 69aggie
    I tried to call antique mechanics on their website number and numbers been disconnected. Are they still around? Last website was from 2004.
  • movielover
    Short term, Cow Bells are far easier to actually implement.

The steam engine is likely more complicated.
  • Riveraggie
    The steam engine was impressive, great for TV
  • agalum
    .Antique mechanics is on Hopkins road over by the airport. I can swing by there next week sometime and see if anyone is around.
  • AggieHex08
    Here she is in all her glory. I have some connections in the BAE department that may know more if it's even possible to get the engine at a game.

k371mfhcg57oo9xa.jpg
  • Riveraggie
    I found a list of Case steam engines, one listed at UC Davis, 45 HP. No year listed.
    www.steel-wheels.net/nasteamcase.html
    It is listed as a portable engine and not a steam tractor, Case made both.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!