• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will be searching for win #4 when they welcome the Huskies of Northern Illinois to the Pavilion on Saturday, December 7 at 6 pm. The Ags are coming off their most complete performance of the year in their over Northern Arizona on Wednesday. The Huskies are coming off a loss to St Mary's on Thursday 61-49 in a game that was closer than the final score primarily due to a suffocating defensive effort.

Northern Illinois won the first meeting between these two teams last year at NIU 71-62. The Huskies are a tough, athletic basketball team that plays hard-nosed defense so this will be a very tough test for the Aggies.

Live stream at 5 pm from Big Sky TV and Scott Marsh will have the radio PxP on KHTK 1140 AM.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    I’m coming up, hopefully for not-terrible weather. Looking forward to seeing a change from Sac game. 4 point underdogs which seems about right based on records. We’re coming off 3 strong games, they just lost to St Mary’s
  • Oldbanduhalum
    For what it’s worth no Gerhke again. He’s in street clothes but no braces or anything so hopefully it’s not too big a deal.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Great start for the Ags. Up 20-12 at the 12 min mark. Gonzo and joe have remained hot
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags cooled off and take a two point lead into the half 36-34.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    NIUs defense certainly was more active. Looks like it might be a close game the rest of the way
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Great win. Solid team defense and just enough offense. I thought Fuller played really well on defense tonight. And pepper can really rebound well for his size. Things are coming together.
  • agalum
    Great game to watch in person and fun team aggie party. Squire reminiscent of Shorts. Mooney looking really confident in the long ball
  • BlueGoldAg
    This was a very solid win over a pretty good basketball team. I thought the Aggie defense was excellent for most of the game. NIU is a very good defensive team and I really liked how well the Ags moved the ball around with crisp passes.

Les is rotating a lot of players in and out of the game and it seems to be working nicely for the Aggies. Our defensive pressure lapsed a little late in the first half but, other than that, we were working hard on defense and the boards.

It's amazing how far this team has come along since the early part of the season. We didn't look very good then and I thought we were in for a very long season. Our defense has come together, our energy is high and players are looking so much more confident on offense. I like what I'm seeing now.
  • Toke69
    How was the crowd? Are more students showing up or are they studying for finals now?
  • BlueGoldAg
    The crowd was very small...only 949 officially and very few students. I'm sure there were more in the library than the game with finals coming up next week. The players have finals too so it will be a light week of preparation for San Diego.
  • DrMike
    Fun game. Huge improvement from Sac game. I like that we have some guys who can take it to the hoop and try to create shots. Important when the 3’s cool off. I liked the contributions from guys like Squire and Fuller on both ends. Pepper had a couple key offensive rebounds that kept them from clawing back in. I really enjoyed watching tonight
  • Firefan17
    Great win for the guys tonight. I think the past few games including the second half runs we had in the losses against Cal and Utah we've really seen the team start to come into its own and find a sense of identity and belief in itself. Sitting at 2-7 I don't think it's too over-dramatic to say the season was a few more losses away from potentially spirally out of control, whereas now I think we all feel a lot more bullish on our prospects going forward. Let's keep this momentum rolling!!
  • BlueGoldAg

Against the Lumberjacks, Mooney finished with a career-high 35 points in the finale of the Aggies' eight-game road swing, Thirty-one of his points were scored after halftime; that is the most scored by any UC Davis player, in one half, in the program's Division I era. That night, he also finished with a career-high 12 field goals, seven rebounds and five threes — both season highs.

Mooney's 35 points is the second-highest total since the Aggies joined the Big West Conference, trailing only Corey Hawkins and his 40-point effort at Hawai'i in 2013.

To say Mooney was on fire throughout the second half UC Davis' game at NAU is an understatement: He hit 11 of 13 from the floor (.846), 5 of 6 from three (.833) and all four shots at the line (100 pct.) throughout his 12:48 on the court.

Three days later against Northern Illinois, he led all players with 17 points on 6 of 10 shooting overall (.600), 3 of 6 from three (.500) and connected on both attempts at the line (100 pct.).

For the week, Mooney scored 52 points — 34 percent of the Aggies' offense — shot .692 from the floor (18-26), .571 from behind the arc (8-14) and 100 pct. from the stripe (8-8) to help UC Davis sweep last week's games.
  • DrMike
    i agree this this assessment, although last year's team seemed to be the outlier. kept waiting for them to make their big run, and it never happened.

i like this group this year. they have a few guys that can put it on the floor and create a shot/draw a foul, as well as a few guys how can hit the 3's. the FT shooting is better than i remember in some time. And, our rebounding has been at mostly even in all the games. Defense has been solid
  • BlueGoldAg
    We have a tough stretch of games coming up but we've shown that we are capable of playing well against good competition. We are @ San Diego, vs Loyola Marymount, @ San Francisco, @ New Mexico and vs Holy Names before conference play begins. I'd like to see us go at least 3-2 in these next 5 games. SD, LMU and Holy Names are all games we should have a good chance of winning if we play well. San Francisco will be very tough and New Mexico will be a huge challenge.

Just for perspective, our previous 11 opponents are 60-38 combined and 8 of them have winning records some we've played so good competition. Also, Sac state is 6-1...Sac's had it going in football and basketball this year...
  • DrMike
    3-2 would be a hell of a finish. USD is the only team I can see us beating on the road
  • MTBAggie
    Anybody attending the USF game? My wife, brother, and sister-in-law all went to USF, and we'll all be going with another one of their friends and all of our families. I'll be the lone UCD supporter in the group...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!