• Toke69
    UC Davis usually has trouble with Hawai`i no matter what their respective records are and I usually have seen the Rainbow Warriors play here at their arena or on television. Between the pandemic and spending all my sports time watching the Ags, I have not seen Hawai`i play once this season. What I know is that they have had a disappointing season after losing some of their better players from last year. My sense is that they have had trouble integrating the new players and that has led to some of their losses. Still, they have generally beaten the teams they should beat, such as sweeps over Ca Poly and Long Beach State at home and getting swept by UCSB also at home. Their best win was over UCI on the road. They are 3-3 in California, having split every series. I suspect they will split with the Aggies as well.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I was wondering if you've been catching some UH games. I've tried to watch a smattering of BW teams but haven't seen any UH either. Feels like a split weekend, as you said, based on common opponents. We should finish either 3rd or 4th if we split and UH would probably finish 6th (all depends on some other outcomes). Decent chance that we see them again in the first round of the BWT in the 3 vs 6 contest.
  • DrMike
    The final game last year we lost on a 3 at the buzzer against really good D was a heartbreaker
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Big West new release about the tournament seeding. Some new interpretation of the rules. They are saying that if two teams are tied with the most games played, you would drop BOTH of them from the Average Games Played calculations.

CSU Bakersfield and Hawai‘i have played the most games (16) and UC Davis the least (8). Those teams are dropped from the average formula. Total games played among teams in the formula equals 84, divided by number of teams in the formula (7) = 12 games.

• cmt
    That's an interesting way of doing things and definitely helps us out. I was assuming only one of those teams would get removed. Now, if all games get played, the adjusted total games played is 98, divided by 7 teams and the average is 14. We'd be at 10 which means we don't add a loss.

On the women's side, it doesn't change anything unless Long Beach doesn't play either game. If they do, they'll have either 17 or 18 games played and nobody else would be above 16.

So the math is the same for the women but changes for the better for the men.
  • Toke69
    I think I need a refresher course in math. What grade level would let me figure out the Big West formula? 6th?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    yeah I was figuring the way you did too. So far sounds like all the games are a go.
  • Gunrock47
    Did game time get changed? I see 4 pm on the website.
  • DrMike
    I’ve seen 4 on the program email that came out this week
  • BlueGoldAg
    The BW Conference has it listed at 4 pm also.
  • DrMike
    tomorrow we’ll have Scott Marsh with football at 11, followed by Scott Marsh with basketball at 4
  • BlueGoldAg
    Aggie fans can also enjoy watching the Aggie Women's Basketball team try to stay unbeaten in the conference when they play at Hawai'i tonight at 9 pm and again tomorrow night at 8 pm. They're very good and fun to watch.
  • Toke69
    What?! Game now starting at 4? I guess they don't care as much about shifting the starting time when they have no fans heading toward the Pavilion. It's pretty annoying when I schedule the day around being able to watch the game.
  • DrMike
    It would have been an advantage to start at 1, or 11 Hawaiian time. Maybe the big west has an agreement with UH not to start too early
  • DrMike
    I was looking at the big west boards and the moderator lays out all seeding scenarios (he’s a better man than I). We’ll be a top 4 seed if we win at least 1 game. Where we end depends on the other top teams. That’s all dependent on all games playing out.
  • Toke69
    The Honolulu Star-Advertiser had a brief write-up about the games. It was very objective and explained how the seedings for the Big West work in simple terms. Hawai`i, having played a full schedule will have a harder time changing its winning percentage even if they sweep, but that--of course--is what they are going to try to do to give themselves the best seeding possible. If they do, they will move past UC Davis since they will be 10-8. A split would keep them below, so they have a bit more pressure to win 2.I think the Ags will wind up with the third seed if they sweep no matter what else happens, but I only gave it a cursory look.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anyone getting sound?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Both teams playing at a furious pace.
  • Toke69
    Noaudio here either
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Sound is back for me
  • BlueGoldAg
    37-30 Hawai'i at the half. Impressive half for the Rainbow Warriors. Tough half for Manjon as he was only 2 of 9. He made some amazing moves to get to the rim and then put up some wild shots. We need him to finish a higher percentage of those shots.
  • DrMike
    I had sound from the get go; sounds like this isn’t a great matchup for us. Lot of speed and length , and they are playing a clean game. Down 7 at the break. Not looking great for us. Hope I’m wrong

By sound, I meant radio. Not watching
  • Toke69
    I've noticed the last few games that Manjon seems to have lost his touch, especially on his lay-ups. I wonder if he an injury to his hand. Hawaii is doing better at every phase of the game, so the Aggies need to switch that around if they are to win.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawaii is killing us from 3 and rebounding.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawaii wins their 5th straight over the Ags. The Aggies made a closing run and had a chance to tie but fell short. Hawaii's interior quickness and rebounding combined with their deadly 3 point shooting did us in. The Ags missed way too many shots from 6 feet or less...either wild or short-armed... Fun game to watch though compared to the Poly foul fest.
  • Toke69
    Final rebounding stats: Hawai`i 42, UCD 22. There were other important differences, but I think this is where the Aggies lost the game. I agree with BlueGoldAg that the guys missed too many easy shots. In a game that was this close, every little thing makes a difference, but those rebounds...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Frustrating game. I guess playing as poorly as we did and still having a chance at the end is some solace. We could have used Ba. Saw him in a soft wrap on his wrist so that doesn’t sound like he’ll be back tomorrow. Maybe later this week?
  • DrMike
    I couldn’t watch so had to follow via live stats. Koehler took the game tying 3? By design or desperation?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Good question. He set the pick at the top of the key for Manjon. Manjon threw it back to him. There was probably about 8 seconds left so he could have made another pass. Can’t see drawing a play up that doesn’t involve Pepper.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's been great watching Elijah Pepper grow into a reliable starter for the Aggies. He's just solid in all phases of the game and, even though he does not possess exceptional quickness or length, he more than makes up for that with blue collar toughness and smart basketball.

He takes charges and he leads the league in steals because he knows how to position himself on defense and he gets into the passing lanes for steals. He dives for the 50/50 balls and isn't afraid to drive to the hoop in traffic and his fade away shot is improving by the game. He's become a team leader and, like Manjon, is only a sophomore. Les recruited him as a diamond-in-the-rough and he sure found a gem.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!