• Toke69
    Second round of the Big West Tournament at the Mandalay Bay Event Center in Las Vegas. Broadcast as streaming video on ESPN3. Although the higher seed, the Ags are underdogs in this contest. The Roadrunners hit the boards very well, so unless they want to see a repeat of the Friday game against Hawai`i, UC Davis will need to be ready to play with a lot of energy and hit their 3s.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bale will be long and athletic and they will probably want to get up and down the floor whenever they get a chance. The Ags need to control the pace a play solid D.
  • Goags20172
    Bakersfield often had the Aggies' number in Division II. That was the one team UCD just couldn't beat when I was a student. I remember one game where the Aggies built a big lead, and it slipped away. Came down to the last play with the Aggies needing a 3 to tie. Brandon Laird's last second shot was blocked
  • MTBAggie
    Interesting to see that graphic changing. 61% / 39% right now.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Interesting that it changes with time. I guess it would though since it is primarily for people who do sports betting.
  • Toke69
    ESPN gives the Aggies only a 27.2% chance of winning. Does anyone know how they figure these odds? My guess (and it is a pure guess) is that they run computers simulations of the games, maybe thousands?
  • Zander
    I suspect it's a model based on their Basketball Power Index, which has Bake considerably above the Aggies. Per ESPN (emphasis mine):

"The College Basketball Power Index (BPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of performance going forward. BPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Strength of Record (SOR) is a measure of team accomplishment based on how difficult a team's W-L record is to achieve. Game predictions account for opponent strength, pace of play, site, travel distance, day's rest and altitude, and are used to simulate the season 10,000 times to produce season projections"

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/bpi
  • DrMike
    Bakersfield are 3 1/2 point favorites which is what I would have expected. We’ll need to shoot well and stay out of foul trouble. That’s been an issue of late
  • BlueGoldAg
    Coaches often say that defense is the key to winning come tournament time and Les builds his teams around defense first. We're not that big inside and that makes it tough for us to defend athletic bigs in the paint and rebound well. Anigwe, Koehler and Adebayo have been getting into foul trouble quickly in recent games. It's a dilemma for the Ags...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Kinda think that fouls will play a major factor on both sides. We need to keep our bigs out of trouble and we really need to get to the foul line as much as possible. Getting in the bonus early would certainly help us out
  • BlueGoldAg
    First impression of Bake...very tough defensively...nothing is going to come easy for the Ags today...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Smothering defense by Bake is causing a bunch of TO's by the Ags...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ags come back after being down 21-11 to take a 32-29 lead into the half.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Great second half of the 1st half. Ags up by 32-29.
  • Toke69
    Good to see the guys keep their composure after making all those turnovers and getting down by 10. They really stepped up on both defense and handling the ball. Also it's worth noting that both teams have the same number of rebounds at the half and both shooting over 50% from the field. Aggies can win this thing.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Runners physicality had the Ags off balance in the first 10 minutes of the game but then we settled down, turned up the defensive intensity and roared back. As usual, defense will probably be the key factor in having a chance to win this game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Rebounds stat is surprising. Bake is so physical and athletic.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's good to see BJ Shaw back in action for the Aggies too.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Shaw will make some awful pass, followed by a nice steal and an offensive rebound. He'll really contribute once he gets a little more experience.

Wish Ba was healthy.
  • Toke69
    I think both teams will settle down in the second half. 3-point shooting might make the difference: whichever team gets hot to win.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Bake is so long and quick in their perimeter defense that open 3's will be hard to come by. We seem to be having success driving and dishing but I'm sure Bake will adjust some at the half.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I don't know if it's a coincidence, but the Ags went on a 28-8 run after the Bake backboard dunk.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Blue collar basketball and the refs are letting them play...
  • Toke69
    So much for settling down...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Excellent Aggie defense...got to keep it up...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Adebayo really playing good defense
  • cmt
    What an ending.
  • aggies07
    Manjon ~~~~
  • DrMike
    He’s pretty good, isn’t he?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!