• movielover
    Can I grab the game on the tele?
  • aggie08
    On tv on ESPNU. Stobbart is phenomenal on defense. No doubt she lives up to defensive player of the year in BW. But we need to hit open looks. And MSU has been draining too many 3s
  • BlueGoldAg
    We made an 10 run just when it looked like MSU was going to run off with it. Our defense has been pretty good especially Stobbart. We're still in it but we need a great second half to have a chance for a win.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Sage "she looks slow" Stobbart with four blocks already.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's uncanny how Stobbart blocks shots without fouling because she doesn't have great leaping ability like some very athletic shot blockers have. She just seems to have the ability to calmly always get a hand on the ball without slapping an arm or hand. Remarkable really...
  • BlueGoldAg
    MSU already has 10 offensive boards and that's killing us...
  • Russ Bowlus
    Kinda sucked that Sage forced a horrible shot and MO St. got the rebound and scored anyway.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We take the lead 34-33 and then fall apart...so many offensive rebounds for MSU...and now a silly intentional foul...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Looks like we lost all confidence. And tired.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Shots aren't falling, so players are pressing.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Very tired looking...Jen has a problem with very little depth...MSU went on a 14-0 run after we took the lead...we need a miracle!
  • agalum
    MO is very physical with some tough gals on the team. Can’t keep giving them the O rebounds.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ooof...57-37...the rout is on....
  • MTBAggie
    Nice little flurry!!! Probably too little too late, but still looks good.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I like the never give up effort
  • Russ Bowlus
    Good effort and bright days ahead for the program.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Aggie Pride effort for sure. I'm sure the whole team is extremely disappointed but they played their hearts out and lost to a very good basketball team.
  • Zander
    Little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I think the team played with heart and overcame amazing obstacles this season and Jen Gross is a crazy good program builder. This season in particular the team just shattered expectations.

But it's frustrating that UCD's major spectator sport team with the best chance at any sort of postseason relevancy at the highest level of play (maybe Men's Soccer too, sure) has yet to even keep a tournament game particularly close. And this time it was a mid-major team performing at about the level we're trying to obtain. When I checked up on this game I literally started to wonder if Gross's squad needs to lead the nation in three-point shooting each year like the Men's and Women's teams occasionally have to even stand a chance against decent postseason opponents.

Maybe the Morgan+twins team could have made something happen if the committee was actually fair to them in seeding. And it has been fun to see UCD "upset" power conference teams in the WNIT. But I gotta say, the path to anything in the NCAAT except this result seems pretty closed right now, and that's not fun.
  • Russ Bowlus
    The OOC schedule is important, and Davis didn't really have one this year.

Davis is kind of where they were in the early-/mid-90s, I think, in growth. Consistently winning in conference, and then incrementally getting further and further in the tourney. There were a lot of years that ended with a frustrating early exit at the hands of Riverside or Portland St.--eventually the team got the skill and depth necessary to overcome those obstacles and made that great run in '97 to the Elite 8.
  • Russ Bowlus
    And yeah, I've mentioned to OBA once or twice that it almost seems better for the one-bid conference teams to lose their conference tourneys and go play in the WNIT--chance of some good competition, possibility of a home game or two, etc.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    It did feel like we were off for so many weeks that Gross spent all the remaining time getting the starters ready, so in games like this, the bench just wash up to it. Hopefully a full off season and a talented recruiting class will make us much deeper.

Yeah there did seem to be a bigger buzz when we made the run through the NIT a few years ago. I do wonder how much money we get for a one game ncaa run vs several NIT games.
  • Zander
    According to a WaPo piece I read, apparently we get nothing from WBB side. Profit margins are obviously less for the NCAA than with the men, but it's apparently not very transparent either way. Didn't look any further into how that works though.
  • aggie08
    Great season overall. Hats of to this team and to Jennifer Gross for building up this program. A few thoughts:

• Sage is the real deal. She controlled the paint on defense. I honestly think she’d hold her own against anyone
    • Cierra Hall played well and efficiently. 4/6 beyond the arc, got boards, assists, steals, even a block. Only tough stat was the 6 TO’s
    • Our achilles heel was rebounding. We got absolutely crushed on the boards
    • Didn’t feel outmatched. Not sure everyone agrees, but felt this was actually a winnable game unlike the Stanford matchups in the past. MSU was the better team but not by a mile. If we cleaned up the rebounding, maybe we’d have a shot
    • Developing a bench would help. Would not only give our starters some much needed rest but could open up game plans like trying the full court press earlier. That seemed to work well

Very impressive year overall. Hopefully this group returns the core, maybe schedule more tough OOC competition (if possible and pandemic situation allows) and next year should be good. Program isn’t that far from taking the next step imho
  • Russ Bowlus
    The floor time that the freshman guards got through this year will be invaluable going forward, for sure.
  • BlueGoldAg
    As much as I know that the cherry on top is the NCAA Tournament, the deep run we made in the WNIT was the most exciting and satisfying post-season play for me. The disparity between the power conference women's teams and the mid-majors is huge, IMO, more so than with the men.

We are seriously lacking depth currently. Our starting 5 played a combined total of 184 minutes today which is an average of 37 minutes each. Five players from our bench played a total of 16 minutes. Missouri State had a combined 74 minutes from their bench. If we are going to be better this fall we somehow have to have more depth.

Jen also has to figure out why we struggle rebounding. MSU had 20 offensive rebounds and Irvine had 17 against us. You can play great defense but, when you give a team multiple chances the ball will eventually find the net.
  • movielover
    Did we commit more fouls - defending putbacks?
  • BlueGoldAg
    “Anytime you end the season it’s disappointing,” Gross said. “I know our players are pretty emotional right now because when you pour so much of yourself into something, it hurts. I just want to say to my team, I couldn’t be more proud of everybody. They’ve given to each other, to this program, to this season. They faced just one roadblock after another and found a way to persevere.”

“We knew that was gonna be a key to the game,” Gross said of Missouri State’s post play. “We’ve got to limit our easy post catches and we’ve got to rebound. It wasn’t for a lack of effort. I really applaud our kids. They pushed, they shoved. The ball just didn’t go our way. Not only do they have size at their starting spots, but they bring more size in off the bench. I think we were a little gassed and that played a part in it too.”

Some teams say it’s not enough to just make it to the tournament, but Hall was just happy UC Davis got to play basketball.

“It would have been easy when things got shut down for 59 days to say OK, let’s pack it in. That was never a thought in anybody’s mind,” Hall said. “And to get back to the position we are, we had 100% sacrifice, 100% heart, everybody was dedicated to winning and celebrating all the little moments. Everybody’s hearts were in it and you couldn’t even tell we only played a certain amount of games. Everyone was just so happy to get to play.”

Hall, a science major, leaves as one of the most decorated players in program history. She’s likely done with UC Davis basketball, but her coach’s eyes lit up when she was asked if she’d like to have Hall join the team as an assistant coach.

“She’s too busy becoming a scientist or going to med school or doing research that’s important. She’s gonna be saving this world,” Gross said. “I don’t know if she’s interested (in coaching). I tell you what, if she’s interested, she’d be my first hire. I’ll work on that but right now I think she’s got her sights set on curing the next virus.”

Now that she’s not busy with basketball, maybe Hall can set her sights on curing COVID-19 instead.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/college/article250132899.html#storylink=cpy
  • BlueGoldAg
    Missouri State demolished Wright State 64-39 to move on to the Sweet 16 and a date with #1 Stanford. Wright State had previously upset #3 Arkansas. The Bears had 47 rebounds (17 offensive) to Wright State's 31.

I think this shows just how good MSU is. They're big and strong inside and have great depth and their defense is impressive. The Aggies just wore down trying to handle the Bears in the paint especially since our starting 5 played nearly all the minutes. The Ags showed a lot of heart in fighting back to take the lead after being down 15 but the Bears' depth and defense was just too much for the Aggies.

Jen's has built an excellent program and expect she have the Ags ready for another run at yet another BW title and an NCAA berth.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!