• cmt
    Don't need to worry about 4th quarter play when you're up 25-30 going into the 4th quarter week in and week out.
  • DavisAggie
    Huh? Have you watched the games? Davis has had a 3-score lead going into the 4th only twice this season
  • cmt
    Based on what each team has done so far (so I'm basing 13 games vs 8), the 2018 is clearly better to me. The 2021 team could end up better if they beat one of Sac/EW, finishes 9-2 and at least wins a playoff game. The 2018 team also handled San Diego, who made the playoffs.

Can't just look at wins. You have you look at losses also. The 2018 team lost to a 9-4 FBS team and twice to the team that made the FCS title game. No losing to a team that, at best, will end up at 3-8. The 2018 team hammered bad teams. We played two close Big Sky games that we won, against two 6-5 teams in Montana (down 21-13 entering the 4th though won by 28) and Idaho St (44-37 in OT).

FWIW, Sagarin has this team at 56.34 at 2018 at 61.86.
  • cmt
    I'm referring to the 2018 team. You said you'd give the nod to 2021 because of 4th quarter play and defense.

The 2018 team was frequently up 25-30 so they didn't need big time 4th quarter play all the time. But since you like 4th quarter play, the 2018 team did this:

-trailed San Diego 21-20 with 4 minutes left in the third quarter but scored 5 straight TDs to end the game and outscored San Diego 27-0 in the 4th quarter.
    -trailed Idaho State 37-22 with 13 minutes left, got 2 TDs in 3 drives to tie the game before winning in OT (got lucky that Idaho missed a short FG at the end of regulation).
    -Montana trailed 21-3 at half and 21-13 going into the 4th quarter. Scored 5 straight TDs and outscored Montana 36-0 in the 4th quarter (and 46-0 in the second half).
  • eastbayaggie
    According to Massey, the 2018 team is indeed better than the 2021 team so far:
    https://masseyratings.com/top?lg=cf&t=8200

However, the 1929 team was even better for beating BYU 19-0 but losing at Oregon State 0-19. :smile:
  • DavisAggie
    Good point, with the exception of the EWU games
  • 88Aggie
    i thought the play calling on offense was better this game. Lots of mistakes we could do without. Liked Hastings accuracy. Receivers seemed to be getting open for the first time in a few weeks. Hastings had one long ball that was far too short. Hope that is mistiming and not lack of arm strength. Sounds like Cody regretted the game where he played all three QB’s. So he kept Rodrigues in there all last game even though struggling. Same goes for Hastings. They must have decided to give him a full game to see if he can develop a rhythm vs just getting thrown into the middle of a game and then getting yanked immediately if something bad happens. Maybe the short passes were designed by Cody to let Hastings get acclimated and then try more in a second game.
  • movielover

2018 we had Keelan Doss and Jake Maier. We also had bang-bang uptempo offense where we hit San Jose State and maybe San Diego State instantly.

Our defense seems stout this year, they may have an edge.

Kudos to Hastings and Cody Hawkins for a very successful passing game. Coach Hawk lauded our depth, 2 weeks should be enough time for OL Coach Mike Cody to sync the offensive line and move a player, if needed. If we need to play 3 QBs, so be it. Next man up.

P.S. Saw a clip of Coach Ron Gould coaching with a cane. I hope Coach is doing well.
  • cmt
    Yeah, it would be a fun matchup. I feel like the game would hinge on if the 2018 team could grab a lead. If 2018 goes up 10-14 points, it's over. The 2021 team isn't winning a shootout and is going to have a tough time coming back. They need a slower, lower scoring game where they could grind out like a 27-24 win.
  • Riveraggie
    For what it’s worth, at end of season 2018, Sagarin had the Aggs #100.
    This years team currently stands at #130.
    Their algorithm is based on scores.
  • SloStang
    Congrats on the win. The Aggies are sitting in great position at 7-1 and in the top ten in the rankings. As a Mustang fan it was too much to expect a win against a formidable Aggie team, but I was happy that we kept it a game going into the fourth quarter. I was worried it would not be a game after the first quarter. Best of luck the rest of the season.
  • CA Forever
    The Mustang defense looked much improved over the spring season! See y'all next season!
  • NCagalum
    I agree with you that HR puts the Ags in a better position to win when he is on than Hastings. I think Hawk is right that HR has been pressing, but by yanking him you wonder if that will just lead to more pressing. No way we would have beat Tulsa without HR. He is clearly the most mobile. Hastings can throw a nice ball but he needs good protection (that has not always been there) and tried at SLO to throw at least three times when he should have pulled it down (blocked passes and interception/near interception). These are things he could learn. Yards per throw stat was only a little north of 6 yards at SLO. Castles was big in that game. Unless we have awesome running games - the only way I see the Ags beating EWU or Sac is with a HR and him playlng as he can. It would be nice if there we some clarity in the QB position - don’t think it’s optimal to be playing musical chairs from game to game. Maybe it just isn’t going to happen this year. Sac has found a way to rotate within the game that has worked well - both QBs have different skill sets and are used in the right situations and the the team as a whole has adapted.
  • Riveraggie
    Do you think Sac is suffering for using two QBs? They switch them at any time in a drive.
    I know that throughout football history there is the belief that not having a number one QB is a bad thing. I think that’s no more true than for most positions. Certainly whatever benefit derives from having a top guy depends on picking the right guy, and that has to involve giving candidates playing time.
    It’s unfortunate the HR has been inconsistent enough to have to sit a game. He may or may not have lost his starting role, I think not. But I think it was a sound decision to sit him.
    Hastings gained valuable experience.
    The team saw that Hastings can win with/for them, which is a positive. Rather than a controversy I think they now have evidence that any of the QBs are good enough to play. If the QB is pressing because of competition that doesn’t bode well for other pressure situations.
    I agree 100% that HR has a higher ceiling. I’m hoping to see him play next game. I wish both guys had better pass protection,
  • agalum

I still have the opinion that HR got banged up, maybe in the third game. It’s hard to assume he went from all league accolades to struggling with accuracy and picks without some explanation. Regardless, we’re 7-1! Can our defense kick it up a notch to keep EW and J street in a low scoring game? Either that or we need to find our high octane offense in a hurry. The late season bye should help, especially if our O line is healthy.
  • AggieFinn

We need to get the beef up front at 100% this BYE week.
  • NCagalum
    it is good that Hastings has gained experience as HR is more prone to injury simply because he will run the ball. Re: all interceptions, HR interception rate (int./att.) is 2.95% and MH is 5.17%. Avg yards per attempt HR 7.2 MH 5.6. So while HR has tailed off - and concussion/other may have had something to do with it, I think that the natural frustrations of fans to desire a switch in quarterbacks should be kept in perspective. I do not know all the ins and out the coaches have more insight of course and I don’t want to question their decisions. Re: SACs 2 QB system it seems to work for them. I have watched several of their games and both are good. Dunniway is the better passer (can stretch field) but OHara is a nifty runner and is a decent short yardage passer. I think it is just the fit, coaching and system that makes it work.
  • movielover
    It appears our short passing game opens up the run, not the opposite.

I sensed a deep throw or two spread the defense out.

Why not try some new trick plays vs NAU - to keep EWU and Sac busy.

Radio team asserted that Thorpe may be our best receiver - if so, more PT please.

I agree, PT for Hastings critical. His second start, HR has had over 20.

Can Hastings, Magic, or Crawford Quick kick?

If the O line is that thin, can we tap a D lineman? Move Chubba Maee - Moore League Offensive Lineman of the Year in high school - to Guard? At least try him in 2-3 practices. 6'2", 347 pounds. Even for 1 - 2 series. Would likely fire up the trench guys, and better for average height QBs. Try it at NAU. Or Princeton Toki for same.

If one has hands, maybe even "The Frig" action at FB. William The Refrigerator Perry.

https://youtu.be/ITeozxHXzVE
  • Toke69
    That looks like a real trophy. Thanks.
  • DrMike
    The OL did okay last game with the two backup OT. If you take away the sack yards (-15) and the fake punt (+36), we ran for 190 yards at a 4.5 yard/carry clip. 3 sacks with a 'new' QB.
  • movielover
    I listened to most of the game on the radio. Did Hastings have good protection most of the night?

I think a Maee or Toki is an interesting idea bc of their size and effectiveness. It's the trenches. We're not asking them to punt.
  • Riveraggie

Thorpe looks good, but to say he’s our best receiver must have some qualifier.
    The Poly defensive lineman who created the most disruption against us ( 2 sacks, 4 TFL, a tipped pass that lead to an interception, maybe another block or so) was a 6’3” 200lb. defensive end. If our guys who weigh 260 to 280 can’t block him, it’s unlikely putting a bigger slower guy in would help.
  • MarktheBronco
    Sorry for the late game. I am a bit permanently under the weather.

• AggieFinn
    Hey MarktheBronco, we appreciate your work with uploads here in Shredville. Thank you so very much!
  • AggieFinn
    #14 Elijah Ponder for Poly is a monster. Only a Freshman, man, get ready to see him challenging for 1st Team Big Sky honors.

Impressed with Hastings. Managed the game well, wasn't shy about dishing it out to his best playmakers and was very accurate. Now he just needs to find confidence to push it further down the field a bit more.
  • Riveraggie
    Hastings seems to be really good at the two minute offense. Final drive of the first half and the end of the Weber game.
  • agalum
    https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/whelan-named-special-team-player-of-the-week/

FARMINGTON, Utah — UC Davis’ Daniel Whelan was selected as the Roots Sports Big Sky Football’s Special Team Player of the Week, announced this week.

Whelan, a punter who is a senior, had another stellar day for the Aggies. Whelan finished had six punts for nearly 300 yards that averaged 48.0 per attempt in the team’s 24-13 win over Cal Poly at the Mustangs’ field on Oct. 23.
  • movielover
    The Cal Poly guys were floored by one of his punts.
  • SloStang
    Whelan is a weapon.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!