• movielover
    Picnic Day crowds seemed subdued, parking was easy in garage near the Silo.
  • agalum
    Did it look like CJ regressed from last year or was he just overshadowed by the other QBs in the lineup?Zander

Not so sure I can say he regressed, but I can say his passes were off the mark and wobbly. This was without any pressure, just rolling out and tossing to a receiver, same pattern one after another. He over threw more passes then he hit. On the other hand, 12 and 15 (Brock?) were tossing bulls eyes. What I really liked about 12 was his touch on the ball. He drilled it when he needed to, and finessed it at other times. I'm wondering if we are going to see a different QB in depending on the formation. They didn't show their cards at this scrimmage. There was a recruit and his father standing near me. Tall kid built like O'brien. Hawk came from across the field and brought them over to the sidelines away from the spectators. Wish I had an opportunity to chat with them.
  • CA Forever
    The roster is showing that #12 is Brock Dale and that #15 is unassigned. Is Jake Maier on campus already? He might be the mystery #15 cause if I remember correctly he looked like a real gunslinger from his tape.
  • agalum
    Is Jake Maier on campus alreadyCA Forever

Not sure, but went back and looked at a few of his highlight clips. Wow, great positional awareness, has a great arm, and can really scramble.
  • CA Forever
    I looked back at his tape too. Before he wore #3 at Long Beach City College, he wore #15 for Sacred Heart. Keelan Doss is currently wearing #3 so I think #15 could be Maier... maybe.
  • DrMike
    how'd the running backs look? we're going to need someone to step in because Josh Kelly is no longer with the program.
  • CA Forever
    Wait, really? I thought I still saw him on the roster. That would really hurt if he did leave.
  • agalum
    how'd the running backs look? we're going to need someone to step in because Josh Kelly is no longer with the program.DrMike

They were doing their thing on the opposite side of the field so I can't really say much. This scrimmage was essentially a non-contact sort of venue. But, the receivers looked really good. Lot's of one hand catches and the ability to run down long balls. It helps when you don't have a defender in your face though :).
  • PortlandAggie
    Josh Kelly isn't with the program? Argh ...
  • agalum
    Josh Kelly isn't with the program? Argh ..PortlandAggie

Well, he is still listed as a student and he is on the football roster still. I looked at twitter feeds and did a google search and could not come up with anything other then he is on the team. Dr. Mike, do you have insider info on him?
  • DrMike
    he wasn't at the practice i attended a couple weeks back, and someone told me he was no longer playing.
  • agalum
    Well, darn.
  • CA Forever
    Well, this is a big opportunity for someone to step up big time. We have some guys returning like Justin Williams and Mitchell Layton (unless they're not coming back either and we just haven't heard yet) but we also have talent coming in as freshman and transfers. Namane Modise could be a name to watch.
  • UCDavisFootball
    Anyone hear or see anything on the transfer of Quarterback Brock Johnson out of Mission Viejo?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Johnson played in 3 games last year as a freshman at Georgetown. He was 22 0f 41 passing for 188 yards and 3 INT's.

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/cfb/players.asp?id=270254
  • agalum
    Wow, Brock Johnson looks good. In HS he threw for 3700 yards, set 7 school records, had a 3.9 GPA, 1870 SAT, and really tosses a nice long ball: http://www.hudl.com/profile/3707059/brock-johnson
  • 69aggie
    Sorry, is he coming or not as I cant see any real announcement.
  • CA Forever
    I haven't seen anything from Davis, but Brock announced back in Feb that he transferred here. I missed it back then too.

https://twitter.com/11brockjohnson/status/835329644270243842
  • movielover
    Coaches and players seemed upbeat. Go Ags!
  • OldAggie
    I hear Spencer is going to possibly change positions, and is a clear number 3. Dale has grabbed the reigns and looks like he's the guy. I hope they don't mess around with the starter, and let him take over before camp. Brock Johnson is a walk-on transfer. He has to sit out 2017. What offense were they running during the spring game?
  • CA Forever
    Wow, that's an interesting development regarding Spencer. I agree that we need to just pick a guy and go with it and only change if it's really a disaster. Always kind of frustrating how Gould would at least say that a guy wasn't picked until the week of the 1st gsme although he may have actually picked one earlier than that.

New starting QB and RB
  • OldAggie
    The way Gould/Daft managed the offensive personnel was very aggravating, and I hope Hawk doesn't follow that lead. I've read some interesting critiques of the past staff, or at least its inferred from some of the comments made by Hawk's staff (i.e. the kids don't have the right technique), and if this is true we should see a dramatic increase in our existing team. Our recruiting has been solid the past 4 years, so if Hawk's staff is as good as they hold themselves out to be (criticizing a past staff is pretty taboo in football), then better will win now. I hope they do!
  • movielover
    I'm told CJ brings a lot, so they want to find him PT somewhere. They speak very highly of him, but accuracy was an issue.

D ahead of the O. Play who makes sense, don't commit the whole season to one player for some odd reason. Hawk started a frosh QB at Colorado.
  • CA Forever
    I find this so interesting. I think Gould and staff as well as the fans had always kind of pegged Spencer as the QB of the future. Weird that he has fallen so far. Accuracy definitely wasn't a strength of his in HS and I guess that he wasn't able to improve on it. I wonder where else they are thinking of playing him? Hawkins isn't a coach who is afraid of things. He absolutely will start a freshman if he thinks that they will give us the best chance of winning.
  • agalum
    I
    it. I wonder where else they are thinking of playing himCA Forever

I didnt watch the entire scrimmage, but what i did see was Spencer looking real good rolling out of the pocket and turning it down field. It wouldnt surprise me if they put him in at qb in certain formations, sort of like the mad cow scenario that Biggs used with (was it) Nick April. And btw, Spencer was over throwing receivers who were running the same pass, time after time.

Someone asked about the formations they were running. They were mixing it up, which essentally was what Hawk told us at the El Macero event. It's going to be very interesting to see how we compete. I cant wait. Road trip San Diego?
  • movielover
    The radio team seemed to convey he wasn't your by the book QB, but he found ways to make plays and move the chains. I was listening I think to the SLO game when we were battling, couldn't stop their O, but CJ had us competing... I was so pumped... and then Gould elected to punt on 4th down when we hadn't stopped them a single time all night. ..
  • movielover
    We've only had 3 posts on QB Brock Johnson, but he had a great HS career, Dad and Grandfather and Uncle all played DI QB. Two played in the NFL. One rating system had him with 3 stars, and he won 28 games in a row while leading his team to a national no. 10 ranking. One year at Georgetown, he got one start in an ugly year due to injuries.

If Cam Trimble and Carson Crawford are already on the roster, does that mean they are on campus already?
  • DrMike
    they seem really high on the Long Beach CC transfer, Jake Maier, who won't be here until the summer. should be an interesting competition.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!