• Russ Bowlus
    WBB vs UH cancelled: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/12/28/womens-basketball-aggies-home-date-with-hawai-i-cancelled.aspx

Concerns me that it's listed as being due to protocols on theAggie side. I hope everyone's healthy!
  • 72Aggie
    Changing the subject ever so slightly, UCLA football backed out of the Holiday Bowl 4 1/2 hours before kick-off today.
  • movielover
    Were they gonna be without multiple players who have transferred?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I fear that it's going to be a very disappointing season for many of the Big West teams. The Omicron variant is just so incredibly infectious. You can be boosted and strictly wear a good mask and still get infected. That has happened to a couple of friends of ours who are very conscientious and careful about being as safe as possible. I actually think that many of us will get it at some point regardless of how careful we're being.
  • agalum

BGA, I’m hearing boosted folks might test positive, but be asymptomatic. Did your boosted friends have symptoms?
  • BlueGoldAg
    They had slight symptoms. Nothing serious at all. Being boosted seems to keep most folks from getting very ill.
  • Toke69
    I've read that the omicron virus sweeps through the population very quickly, leaving as quickly as it arrives. I hope that is the case and things start to feel better by mid-January.
  • movielover
    Lots of changes coming ...
  • DrMike
    4 of the 5 Big West games postponed today. Two were played Thursday, including UCSD over UCSB
  • DrMike
    I was just looking at the schedule; next home mens game with fans is January 27. With this week’s no fan games, followed by two weeks of road games, that’s a long stretch without a home crowd
  • Oldbanduhalum
    And we could really use fans this week, as Irvine and SD could be the toughest games of the season.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's gonna be another strange season and that's if we end up with much of a conference season at all...
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yep, another season of games that really don't matter much. It'll be who gets healthy and hot in Vegas at the BWT.
  • Toke69
    Does anyone know why Big West teams have cancelled so many games? As far as I can tell, they have only played one, while the Pac-12 has played 14 and some conferences haven't cancelled any games (SEC, ACC). Of course, the southern states don't take many measures at all.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Well crap! There must be a Covid issue in either one or both of the programs. There's not going to be much of a conference competition this year with the way things are going.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah I'm assuming we'll hear pretty soon that Saturday's game is cancelled too. Movie, I don't know if it's an over-reaction as I don't have all the facts. We all have our own risk aversion levels so it certainly seems like the folks making the decisions are trying to really clamp down on any further spreading. Not sure either you nor I would make exactly the same decisions, but then again, I'm not in charge of the well being of that many athletes/staff. Just too many variables to know for sure. One thing I am sure about, I am damn tired of talking about Covid!
  • MTBAggie
    It looks like the women's game is still on. Any update on that game scheduled for tomorrow?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I would think that if they were thinking about canceling, it would have happened by now as today is travel day for the Ags. So cautiously optimistic the women can get their regular season going. Having said that, one positive test might be enough to shut it down.
  • agalum

One thing I am sure about, I am damn tired of talking about Covid!

I think we all are. I was supposed to go on a hunting trip next week with a friend. We are both vaccinated with Moderna with the booster. He got the half strength booster, i received the full dose. He got sick Sunday, tested tuesday, and came back positive on the home test and the ucd test. He says he feels like he has a bad cold. At least he’s not in ICU. FWITSW, ive switched over to N95 mask. Much more uncomfortable vs cloth, but better protection.
  • MTBAggie
    Where do you get your N95 masks? Our kids are now required to wear N95 or 3-ply surgical masks, except all we can find are knockoffs from China that flat out state on the box they aren't proven to reduce the transmission of disease. And the KN95 masks my wife bought are a 2006 standard, not even 2019. Regardless, also not proven to reduce the spread of disease.
  • MTBAggie
    Well that was easy. I don't know what my wife is buying. But that applies to more than just masks.
  • agalum

Russ got it, and that is a way better price than what i paid. I paid $50 for 20. BTW, its not one size fits all. I had to be fitted and tested at work every year (yes worked with infectious diseases). Retired now, but i know my size. To properly wear the n95 or n99, it must have a good seal where all mask surfaces touch the face. Adjust the nose piece so it fits around the nose.
  • movielover
    If I were over 75, had comorbidities, or were obese I would make different choices. I have isolated and limited large get togethers. Wash my hands, take Zinc, Vit C, D, and need to add Quercetin (quercetin allegedly a zinc ionophore... it helps push zinc into the body's cells, reducing Covid replication?). Some claim Quercetin similiar to Ivermectin. (This is reportedly how a large province in India beat Covid. They don't have the budget to quadruple vaxx 300 million people and had to act fast.)

This new mutation is much weaker, but easy transmission. Unlikely we can stop it.
  • movielover
    IRVINE, Calif. (January 5, 2022) - "UC Davis Athletics announced changes today to the upcoming men’s basketball schedule. The Aggies’ home men’s basketball home game against UC Irvine slated for January 6 will not be played due to COVID-19 protocols."
  • BlueGoldAg
    It appears, from what I have read over on the UC Irvine Big West Boards forum, that UCI recently had 18 of 19 players test positive for Covid after an assistant coach tested positive. The UCI assistant coach came down with a positive test after the UCI game at USC where someone tested positive at USC. This virus can spread like wildfire. I fear it's going to be a problem for the entire season.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!