• movielover

Wasn't there a big interception where we didn't get a call? The two sacks were great (blitzes?), but it looks like we let some 2nd half sacks slip away.

It looked to me like Jack Newmann was going to be our starting QB. Mobile, experienced, and threw few picks at CCSF on the way to 14-0. He led the most series in the Blue Gold game.

Hoping for the best. TT no longer a surprise, but Faulk appears very nimble. Should we give him some shots? We saw Hunter Rodriguez and thanked him for a great year.
  • Joey91
    Jack Newmann has quit the team.
  • CA Forever
    Well it appears that Newman is gone so that ship has sailed. SHOULD we give some of the other QBs a shot? Maybe. The coaches are the ones who see these guys practice every day. Like I said earlier though, Cody already referenced that they QB flip flopped too much last season. Unless Hastings turns into a total disaster or an injury occurs, I think they are going to stick with him going forward. Now, I've made it pretty clear that I'm not really a Hastings believer at this point in time and I wasn't particularly impressed by his game against Cal, but I'm at least willing to see what he can do against FCS opponents before making any more major judgements on his play.
  • DavisAggie
    Jack has hit the road
  • movielover
    From the Bear forum: "From what I can glean, an hour-long version of the Davis Game will be televised on the PAC-12 Network tomorrow (Monday) at 5pm. I think this is the "main" PAC-12 channel, and not PAC-12 Bay Area. If someone can confirm or suggest otherwise, please reply."
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    $45 to park is not surprising but that there is a place to park at all.
    Memorial has practically no parking and the only lot I can think of (as someone who supports both teams) is the VIP lot and where the visitors park their 2-3 busses.
  • NCagalum
    DBs are a concern and the kick game is a concern

Agree. Sure missed whelan in both punting and kickoffs. Punting was just “ok” at best and a missed extra point is not good. Field goal attempt was long but of artificial turf and it was quite a bit off. Kickoffs were short. CertInly there is somebody on the team that can kick it into the end zone consistently. Will need every point here on out.

Once Plummer got rolling he found some very wide open receivers. First TD guy had 5 yards on the DB. I do like that Devon King is back and healthy.
  • 72Aggie
    This is a rough schedule of rebroadcasts. I did this kind of hurriedly and can't vouch for the accuracy. I have Comcast in Sacramento.

There is a two hour re-broadcast on Pac 12 Bay Area starting at 6:00 AM on Monday and again at 4:00 PM that day.

There are "Pac 12 in 60" rebroadcasts at 5:00 PM on Monday on the Pac12 Network and again at 8:00 AM on Tuesday.

There are "Pac 12 in 60" rebroadcasts on Pac 12 Bay Area on Monday at 6:00 PM, 9:00 PM and Midnight, on Tuesday at 3:00 AM, 6:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 6:00 PM, 9:00 PM and on Wednesday at 5:00 AM.

Again, check your guides. I am not vouching for the accuracy of my note taking or the legibility of my hand scratched notes.
  • 69aggie
    Not that it matters, but any thoughts on why Newman quit the team? Memory wise, not many people have done that at davis.
  • NCagalum
    Just conjecture, but I suspect he wasn’t given a clear nod to start, and with only 2 years of eligibility left (I believe) he figured he would be a bench warmer for duration of career. It’s not like he was recruited and was in the Davis system, and could work his way in maybe at least by junior year. From his production at city college (and therefore game experience albeit at JC level) I thought he would be a qb who could step in and be productive. From the jC games I saw via web archive he looked pretty mobile, and could extend plays and improvise a bit - something we don’t have with currently used qb.
  • Riveraggie
    During the radio broadcast it was clear that they weren’t going to say his name or anything else about him.
  • Riveraggie
    The eligibility rules seem to always have exceptions, but he’s been on three rosters already, CCSF, Cal, CCSF. The five year clock started ticking for him in 2018, so wherever he goes he likely only has one year. His best shot at playing was to stay here. I think he’ll probably move on from football.
    The coaching staff here is not quick to make a big deal over transfers. They make them earn it.
  • agalum

Brings up a pet peeves with me. I like listening to the radio broadcast when I’m watching the game live. KDVS was the best. Their broadcast was synced perfectly with the action. 1140 has a big broadcast delay by about 1-2 plays. I sure wish they would sync it to live action.
  • movielover
    Hasn't the extra Covid year affected that?

If it's neck and neck, I can't see QB#2 leaving, so it's puzzling.
  • Riveraggie
    When did KDVS stop covering games? Or do they sometimes still do it? I used to listen to them in the early 2000s and they were good. I can’t believe we’ve stuck with Doug Kelly so long, just never hear anything I didn’t know. Then there are the contradictory statements. In pregame this team has the most depth ever. Then near end of game “Cal is wearing them down with more players” , to which Marsh replies, they brought the whole team, and Kelly replies more players the coaches are willing to play. So I guess we have a deep team if you count players the coaches don’t trust to play.
  • Riveraggie
    2018,2019,2020,2021,2022,2023 Five years. If he sits out this season he’s got one year left.
  • agalum

Not sure when kdvs stopped, maybe 3-4 years ago. But like i said, they were fresh and the action coincided with the broadcast.
  • movielover
    I thought for sure one of the new WRs Hawk was high on would play.

Overall, lots of positives:
    - line play on both sides
    - defensive scheme caught Cal off guard? (They'll argue pulling 2 players corrected things.)
    - better play calling on offense
    - Chaz Davis emerges
  • Riveraggie
    I missed which wide receivers Hawk was high on.
    We played a lot of two tight end and had Tompkins as a wide receiver, so not a lot of opportunity for wide receivers to get into the game. Babb didn’t even get much action.
    On defense I think they took a few series to adjust because we were playing lighter quicker people on the line and five DBs.
  • movielover
    Game review from Cal side.

https://writeforcalifornia.com/p/post-game-thoughts-uc-davis

I believe Hawk is high on 6'2", 203# freshman transfer Logan Kraut from Arizona ( Santa Rosa).
  • DrMike
    most broadcasts have some sort of delay to deal with bleeping out language, but that is usually a 7-second delay. But, that should only be a fraction of a play. i've noticed that KTHK is out of sync with other stations on syndicated radio broadcasts when i'm flipping between stations on a weekend. i'm guessing good old KDVS didn't worry about a 7-second delay!
  • movielover
    Correction: we played 34 subs + 22 starters = 56.

Edited.
  • Riveraggie
    In addition to the 22 starters.
    So we played 56, and did not play Ambagtsheer, Suani, Toki, Hansen O’keefe, Granfors. among others. Just listed guys who’ve had playing time before, most of whom are on depth chart.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Some of those players could be nursing injuries...
  • Riveraggie
    I’m sure there are a variety of reasons. I listed them as an indication that we have experienced depth that didn’t play, for one reason or another,
  • movielover
    Condensed highlights - 22 minutes.

The gadget plays were excellent. Babbs had an attempt late in the 4th quarter.

https://youtu.be/H-LVIQOVVIA
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!