• MTBAggie
    Well, closer than I expected.
  • Riveraggie
    This is the first Weber game in memory where we didn’t get physically beat.
  • BlueGoldAg
    That last pass didn't even give our receiver a chance to make a play on the ball...air mailed again...
  • CA Forever
    Defense played like they wanted to win this freaking game. Offense moved the ball but couldn't figure out how to finish a drive. Hawk should be entirely embarrassed about how the 1st half ended with the time management issues leading to a missed FG from the freaking 1 yard line.
  • Fiat Lux
    We need a change at OC. Cody is not getting it done.3 points off of 3 turnovers is unacceptable. Someone needs to be held accountable.
  • NCagalum
    On the 11,on first down and on the 15 at fourth gave them no chance.

Well no playoffs unless they beat Montana State and the other league games. I can’t see them beating Sac.

I think they need to really rethink the offense whether personnel and/ or scheme. Way too many short throws.
  • movielover
    Cody Hawkins? He's the OC.
  • CA Forever
    Cody has not overly impressed me over the course of him being OC
  • NCagalum
    I guess the offense wasn’t “the best version of
    ThemSelves” - other than gilliam who never lets them down.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawk usually plays to win and goes for it especially when the offense needs an emotional boost but he went conservative in this game and it cost us. We had every opportunity to win this game but Hawk's conservative choices, poor FG kicking and punting and an overthrown ball on a sure TD to Gilliam did us in.
  • Riveraggie
    Yes. How many passes did we complete for virtually no gain, and how many did we complete short of the line of gain on third down. We have receivers coming back to the ball but not running deep enough to afford to do that.
  • NCagalum
    accurate summary.
  • movielover
    PPG scored by the Ags:

2022 - 22.5 (4 games)
    2021 - 28.3 (favorable schedule)
    2019 - 28.7 - JM, UG (Keelan Doss gone)
    2018 - 39.7 - JM, Doss, UG
    2017 - 33.6 - JM, Doss
    2016 - 28.2 - (HC Gould)
    2015 - 22.3 - (HC Gould)

We're back scoring at the Ron Gould level of 2015.
  • Fiat Lux
    wasn’t this an issue with Dan at Colorado? Wanted to play Cody at QB over the other guys in the room who potentially have them a better chance to win? I get wanting to have your son on staff but if he’s not getting it done then ou have to make that tough decision. Will be interesting to see what Dan has to say in his next media session.

On a separate note, seems weird to me we get one media session per week unless I’m missing the postgame and only seeing the pregame sessions.
  • movielover
    Well, DC Combs and crew is keeping us in games. FWIW, I thought I saw Gomez after the Cal game... and he didn't appear to be in good shape.

PPG allowed by our defense:

2022 - 22.0
    2021 - 22.7 (DC Combs 1st yr, favorable schedule)
    2019 - 29.3
    2018 - 27.4
    2017 - 32.2 (Hawks 1st yr)
    2016 - 37.1
    2015 - 34.2
  • Riveraggie
    The biggest controversy was where Dan was accused of blowing a lead by not running out the clock when continuing to throw gave Cody some record.
    “Colorado blew a 28-point lead at Kansas when the Jayhawks scored 35 points over the final 11 minutes for a stunning 52-45 win.”
  • BlueGoldAg
    The official attendance was only 8822 tonight. The attendance will be even less for the next home game if we lose at Montana State next week and come home with a 1-4 record.
  • Riveraggie
    Yep. I think many foresaw that that would be our record after five games.
    I think the school isn’t promoting the team like they did a couple of years ago, maybe lulled into complacency by last years attendance when we were nationally ranked most of the year.
  • Fiat Lux
    100%. Defense is doing everything they need to put us in a position to win. The offense and kicking game is not holding up their end of the bargain. Like I said earlier we created 3 turnovers today but the best we could muster was a FG from a fumble we recovered on Webers 26. We also had a interception at the Davis 39 that we took 6 plays for 13 yards and a punt and then a fumble at the Weber 25 at the end of the game that we could not convert anything on. Our defense creates opportunities but the offense cannot move the ball effectively.

One thing I did see was I thought Hastings played better. He didn’t have a pick and for the most part made good decisions but just had some really bad throws. I really hope we figure out a way to make some changes offensively to turn these shoulda coulda woulda games into W’s.

But always and forever go Ags!
  • Toke69
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Can't say we didn't have a chance--or lots of chances, but as I wrote earlier, I expected to be disappointed. We can blame either Hawkins the elder or Hawkins the younger, but the offense failed to execute when it needed to. Hastings was off on a lot of his third down throws, but some credit goes to the Wildcat defense.
  • WILDCAT
    Man our games against each other have become some real battles! Your defense is crazy good. Was kinda suprised you guys didnt go for it a few times but luck was on our side this time.

This series between us has potential to become a good rivalry. Be great if we played every year.

Good game Aggie Nation. Good luck next week
  • movielover
    Our OC has a thin resume... 3 years as a WR coach here, a GA at Ohio State, and one year at a high school. I believe he inherited the job when Plough left.

No expert here, but what baffled me last year were the predictable UG up the gut on 1st and 2nd down plays. Then we often faced 3rd and long against a defense teeing off.

Play calling seemed much better to start this year. Tonight was a puzzle, good and bad. Blown TOs. Hawk's gamble worked, but we can't move the ball, we don't seem to use the middle of the field and don't go long, so the defense is defending 10 yards? Thank goodness for Ulonzo.

Don't we have a backup FG kicker?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawk's decision not to go for the TD from the one yard line on the last play of the first half shocked me especially with the terrible time we've had making FG's. He also sent a message to his offense that he didn't have the confidence in them to make one yard. This was not a good game from a coaching perspective.
  • cmt
    Not totally fair comparing our PPG output this year so far to previous years when we've played an FBS team, a consensus top-5 team an another top-15 team. That's not to say there aren't issues of course. There very well could be. Just that straight ppg isn't a good way to evaluate that yet.
  • cmt
    Since you mentioned Plough, Boise just fired him. Maybe we can bring him back.
  • Riveraggie
    I think the defense might be growing into something special. We’ve got some good young players. Blake Cotton had eight tackles,
    Budgett played a bit but seemed injured, Rex Connors didn’t play, and Ambagtsheer and Suani haven’t played and they’re both on the depth chart so must be injured. That’s actually a lot of guys off our depth chart.
  • Toke69
    I hate to note this, but the Aggies "won" in every major statistical category: time of possession, total yards, turnovers, penalties, third down efficiency... except field goal percentage. This adds strength to the addage that the only stat that counts is points scored.
  • cmt
    Kicking a FG from the 1 in basically any situation outside of the 4th quarter where it's a game winning/game tying situation is gross and cowardly. I didn't watch so I don't know what happened leading up to that. I just hate kicking from the 1.
  • movielover
    We quickly marched down the field 7, 10, 15 yards at a time. UG big. Got to the 1 with I think 10 seconds on the clock. Pass to the TE... at the one yard line, 3 seconds left. Then kicking unit entered, attempt partly blocked.
  • Fiat Lux
    These games have taken years off my life with the back and forth! Just kidding! But I’m all seriousness it has been so fun to watch the games between these two teams. Today we just ended up on the wrong side. Great game to Weber and I hope you guys continue to win! Good luck next week with EWU. Hope you guys blow them out!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!