• NCagalum
    I think the poor clock management came earlier in the drive. You can milk clock later if their is a need to limit time for a subsequent series for the opposition but you cannot store elapsed time. The color guy (don’t know his name but is very good) was befuddled and noted questionable clock management at the earlier stages of the drive. Of course, had they scored, we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

I will say that Weber made some excellent tackles that were critical.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Scott Gordon has been doing the commentary alongside Scott Marsh and he's extremely knowledgeable about the game...truly outstanding...the best we've ever had here. He's a former Aggie golfer..
  • Riveraggie
    That pass to the tight end in the goal line was a bad choice because the play designer expects the tight end to catch the ball with his back to the goal line but to fall across the goal line. He has no momentum.
    The refs contemplated calling an illegal receiver down field, so maybe the play intended to be thrown behind the line of scrimmage to preclude that.
    We have a class of plays where we throw behind the line of scrimmage to receivers without blockers. This was one of those. Either the defenders need to be fooled or miss a tackle. It’s classic Davis “we are outmanned but we’ll fool you” stuff.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anyone take a tour of the new athletics facility before the game?
  • agalum

Yep. It’s totally impressive. Gorgeous training areas, rehabilitation, including a pool and whirlpool, and office space for the coaches and support staff (mainly upstairs). I especially liked Coach Les’s office. He had encouraging quotes on the wall from people like Gandhi, Winston Churchill, and a verse from Luke (submitted by May). The views from the offices are lovely. Recruits will be impressed.
  • Riveraggie
    Gandhi and Winston Churchill. That’s viewpoint diversity.
  • movielover
    What teams have offices there? FB, MBB and ???
  • AggieFinn

Football
    Field Hockey
    Lacrosse
    Men's Basketball
    Women's Basketball
  • movielover
    That should be a boost to all the programs and free up space elsewhere.
  • SochorField
    My two cents at this point in the season (and sorry if this has been beaten to death).....

QB1's inability to connect consistently on mid-long range passes is doing major damage.
    Maier-to-Doss/Harrel changed the entire complexion of the O- it really opened up the running game and the underneath passing game.

Davis just doesn't have the downfield threat to spread out the opposing defense.
  • agalum

Well said. Miss you guys!
  • Zander
    My random thought today was a potential severe irony of some of the comparisons to Gould's strategies and offensive production -- If this year's team had Gould's scheme and kicking/punting talent, we might actually be 2-2 or 3-1 right now.

To be clear I'm not advocating returning to that offense, just that I'm frustrated that -- this and last year at least -- a lot of the changes from the Gould era seemed to be purely aesthetic on O.
  • Riveraggie
    This game was lost by game decisions, not overall offensive philosophy.
    Talent at positions is going to vary between years. Gould would not necessarily had better kickers this year.
    Hawkins, without apologizing said that they need to rethink some of their strategies in different zones of the field. All I can think is that Gomez must have shown a lot more in practice than he’s shown in games. Maybe some of that is on the snapper and holder.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Gomez has shown he has a leg for distance but his accuracy has been off. Might be more mental than physical.
  • Riveraggie
    I don’t want to defend Gomez from all criticism, but I do think it’s flawed thinking to criticise his field goal percentage of 40% when two were from 50 yards.

Here is an observation from an article about valuing field goal kickers,
    Of the 355 FBS kickers who attempted a field goal in the 2017 season, only 49 of them (13.8 percent) hit a field goal of 50 or more yards. Total field goal percentage would give you no context that most college football teams do not even attempt field goals of this length.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/news/expected-points-a-better-way-to-analyze-place-kick
1678910Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!