• Toke69
    UC Davis gets a chance for payback against a Hawai`i team that is 6-1 at home and 2-2 on the road, which is typical for them. Aggie fans will remember that the game in Honolulu was close with the teams trading leads until 8:00 remaining in the game when the Warriors stretched their lead to as much as 10. Key to this game will be the health of the Aggies as Beasley, Anigwe and Pepper have all been beset by injuries. To beat Hawai`i we need to have at least two of those three back in the lineup and even with all three, it won't be easy. (Hawai`i's record as of this post assumes a win over CSUB tonight.)
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hope were healthy and have Beasley and Anigwe back or it's going to be very tough for us.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Vegas oddsmakers have the Aggies as 2.5 point favorites for tonight's game. The big question, of course, is whether Beasley and Anigwe will be healed up enough to play tonight. We went down to the wire in the loss at Long Beach without them but I think we would be most definitely the underdog if they are unavailable.
  • Toke69
    The Honolulu newspaper had a nice write-up about Elijah Pepper today, noting that he leads the conference in scoring now. They also explained that Ty Johnson's name is pronounced Tee-Why, which solves a mystery of mine all season. Yesterday, the printed an interview with Hawai`i's coach in which he expressed concern that hi team often goes into lackadaisical stretch during games, something they can't afford to do at Davis and expect to win.
  • DrMike
    I’m guessing Anigwe will play since he was dressed Saturday (emergency sub?). Beasley is a calming presence out there. Don’t forget Pepper missed the final minutes.

Going to see continued progress from Borba; I thought his confidence level was much better vs the beach.
  • Toke69
    I think you mean Borra? Francesco Borra.
  • DrMike
    thank you. Not sure why I misspell his name every time. And, truth to told, call him the wrong name in conversation!
  • agalum
    Getting ready to head over to campus. Had to look up how we did against Hawaii at home last year. The game in their house was canceled. We beat them at home 68-65. Might be another nail biter tonight. Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anigwe is back but Beasley is in street clothes.
  • BlueGoldAg
    TY out of the game. Might be concussion protocol.
  • BlueGoldAg
    TY back in the game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    And now Anigwe is injured again. We can’t catch a break!
  • BlueGoldAg
    37-31 Ags at the half. Unfortunately, Anigwe was limping heavily going to the locker room.
  • Toke69
    Great finish for the first half. Anigwe's injury notwithstanding. Ags shooting 60% from the floor! Seems like the team has been playing a lot more zone in recent games and it sure worked in this game. Borra has had as good as any minutes I've seen this season. The defense really clamped down on Hawai`i after the Warriors came out very hot from the floor.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We shot 65%! Pepper has 25 and TY has 11.
  • Toke69
    Oh yeah! I was looking at the 3 point percentage for which 60% is pretty amazing. Of course, it's only 3/5. The trouble with either stat is that given regression to the mean, the Aga are unlikely to maintain that heat through the second half. The defense needs to stay tough.
  • Toke69
    Pepper has a really smooth looking hook shot, the most underused shot in all of basketball.
  • Toke69
    So much for regression to the mean! Ags now shooting 68.6%.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Great, whole team win by the Aggies playing without Beasley and without Anigwe out for all but the first 9 minutes. The Ags shot 64% for the game and our defense was solid for the majority of the game. We got good minutes from everyone that played,

The Ags have won 7 of their last 9 games and those two loses were by 2 points and 3 points and they're winning despite some key injuries. This is a very good Aggie basketball team!
  • DrMike
    That was SO much fun tonight. Good crowd of nearly 2000, loud when we needed it. We held them to something like 3 points the last 7:00 of the first half and took complete control.

Good minutes from Leo, Nico snd BORRA. We’ll need them the rest of the way.

Les seemed really emotional at the end giving big hugs to Pepper, TY and Adebayo when they came out. His post game comments really praised the teams heart.

TY and #3 were REALLY going at it. Chicago vs Vallejo. I’m guessing Ty will be on opponent fans least liked player list!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other BW scores tonight:

Santa Barbara 68 Cal Poly 62 (UCSB pulled it out in the final minute)
    Bakersfield 82 Riverside 76 in OT
    Irvine 76 San Diego 60
    Long Beach 70 Fullerton 67
  • BlueGoldAg
    The student turnout was pretty good tonight. I do wish the crowd would get more vocally behind the team earlier in the game and not just when a the Ags make a great play or the game is on the line.
  • DrMike
    they were giving away shirts and some kind of food ticket. Whatever gets them there!

Interesting stat. We were 12-16 from the FT line. Johnson missed the first two when he was dazed (glad he took the second; subbing him out would have disqualified him from the game). Pepper missed the last 2 in the last minute. So, 12 straight in between the misses
  • SoCalAggie
    This team has more depth than in recent years
  • abridge
    Pepper boggles my mind. Several times tonight I turned to my wife and said "that was impossible." And then he does something else amazing.
  • Toke69
    In Hawai`i Warriors got 12 blocks. Tonight 1.
  • Toke69
    I hope Anigwe gets better soon. Goo thing that the Ags don't play again until next Thursday. but that game is at UCR, so it would be good to get him and Beasley back.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Very nice win. If you want to see how to close out a half, watch the last 2 or so minutes of the first half. Ags built a solid lead (important considering we were down by 9 just a few minutes earlier) on a running sweeping hook by Pepper. Defense was solid all night long but especially during this spurt.

Now we take the day off to heal up and hopefully get Anigwe and Beasley back.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!