• 69aggie
    I am advised that the Davis city council has finally approved the building plans for a “a new University Mall” which will be all commercial space with no housing whatsoever. Boy did the Davis neighborhood people behind the mall cream the developers or what. Is this a win for NIMBYism? Or plain good sense? Now we know that the Grad was very popular with students and pretty much everyone in davis. Is it possible that some new investors could recreate the grad in the new mall?
  • AggieFinn2
    Yes, I would say the odds of the Grad returning are better than UCD baseball having a winning sesson next year.

They will call the new bar "The Drop-Out": because drop-ours have time to go to the bar-until they get jobs.
  • movielover
    How did they stop the new housing? Or did other developments coming online reduce the need? Has the old mall been razed?

The old furniture may be in storage, maybe the old owner could be part owner? I saw online he was venting after he was closed down. Does he have any current restaurants open?
  • 69aggie
    Movie, it’s way too complex. The owners were going through a divorce. The new UM owners were way too aggressive in their plans. They really didn’t have any idea about how davis politics works. And then come the neighbors! So I don’t live there anymore. But when I lived there, I have had many other out of town people from Texas and Michigan who I took there who said “this is so great just like like home” and then there was dance night! Did you ever see the twins dance? Or some of the football players? Absolutely great . I even saw some of our adversaries come in for a burgers after a game. I know you guys have seen them too. So I have hope the Graduate will be back! There is no competition for this type of venue in Davis now. I would consider investing!
  • movielover
    It was a unique event space, perfect size, with something for everybody. Sports. Salsa and Country Nights. Thursday long-held traditions. Friday & Sat dancing. Video games and pool. Not too big, not too small, though the campus demographics changing create some challenges. Good burgers and bar food centrally located. The owner had some rough edges, but he had the formula.

Has the UM been razed?

https://magazine.ucdavis.edu/the-graduate-closes/
  • 69aggie
    The developers of the university mall (now known as the davis collection) and I have no idea how that came to be) have won the redevelopment plan for the old mall. The site plan does show a sizable space where the old grad was located. And does mention the former uses as a bar/restaurant. The developers are the Brixmor Property Group out of NY, NY. Phone number 212-869-3000. Don’t expect your call to be helpfully taken. But we can only hope. If you want, go on line and see the details of the project. Just Google it.
  • SimonM21
    Movie, it’s way too complex. The owners were going through a divorce. The new UM owners were way too aggressive in their plans. They really didn’t have any idea about how davis politics works. And then come the neighbors! So I don’t live there anymore. But when I lived there, I have had many other out of town people from Texas and Michigan who I took there who said “this is so great just like like home” and then there was dance night! Did you ever see the twins dance? Or some of the football players? Absolutely great . I even saw some of our adversaries come in for a burgers after a game. I know you guys have seen them too. So I have hope the Graduate will be back! There is no competition for this type of venue in Davis now. I would consider investing!69aggie

It's a good idea to build a similar place close by. Or somewhere else. I don't think the new owners will want to keep Graduate. But who knows for sure? However, this pause could be used to build a place like this, no? Someone will definitely do it!
    Still, when I come to Davis again, I'd like to visit Graduate...

Hi all!
  • 69aggie
    So it is finally flattened. I wonder if the new owners have a clue about how davis operates. Davis hates chain stores and chain restaurants and chain anything. So no forever 21, no cost plus, no mom and pops, no fluffy donuts, no clock works, so who do they get?
  • movielover
    My understanding from Wendy Weitzel / Davis Enterprise includes Nordstrom Rack, The Melt, Sprouts, Mendocino Farms, Urban Plates, a Pet Smart, etc.

Couldn't they simply have remodeled, and kept The Grad & Fluffys?

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy4Zfglp_Q_/?igsh=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==
  • 69aggie
    Movie that is great news. Can they sneak in a mini grad or a real grad
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!