• BlueGoldAg
    It looks like the Vikings will be coming into the Aggie game bearing a grudge since their Head Coach, Bruce Barnum, has openly expressed his anger at what he says was foul play by Hawkins at the Idaho State at Portland game. He apparently believes that Hawk was there trying to gain information about the Vikings somewhat similar to the current Michigan sign stealing scandal.

“The head coach of the team I just played’s (Idaho State) father (Dan Hawkins), who is the head coach of a team in my league who I haven’t played yet, he was at the game behind my bench, watching his son coach because he was on bye week,” said Barnum. “I thought that was total bull—.”

“What am I going to do? He sat back there the entire game watching my whole operation,” Barnum told Canzano.

“I didn’t know he was going to be there,” continued Barnum. “And I’m thinking – your kid’s not playing, he’s coaching. Now if he was playing I might say ‘Alright Hawk (Dan Hawkins), sure come watch your kid play’ and yada yada, but really? You want to come watch your son coach? Are you sh— me?”

https://www.750thegame.com/portland-state-head-coach-bruce-barnum-says-an-opposing-head-coach-sat-right-behind-his-bench-at-last-game/
  • Riveraggie
    I guess that shows how small time FCS football is if it is unheard of for opponents to scout games. Maybe it is rarely the head coach, but so what?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Exactly. It seems like a whole lot of sour grapes to me. I think Hawk mentioned that he got to watch Cody coach during the Bye week and that he also got to visit his grandkids. I think Barnum is making a lot of assumptions that something nefarious was going on and he'll probably try and use his "conspiracy theory" as a way to motivate his team.
  • AggieFinn2
    A man surnamed Barnum is trying to start a circus ?
  • agalum
    Maybe if Hawk wore his pirate attire they wouldn’t have recognized him, lol.
  • SochorField
    They played at Hillsborough, right?
    I could be mistaken, but THERE ARE NO SEATS ON THE VISITING SIDE OF THE STADIUM. Where is Hawkins supposed to sit? I suppose he could have sat in the endzone, but who wants to sit there? Especially when you can sit anywhere you want (with 2,100 people in attendance)

It wouldn't matter where he sat, he would have heard every word coming from the bench anyway.

If PSU wins that ISU game, I bet we hear nothing about this.

Perhaps a little gamesmanship by Hawkins to get in this guy's thick head..... hahahaha
  • AggieFinn2
    It's all a bunch of stupid nonsense. Even if Coach Hawkins were able to absorb every detail of Portland State's gameplan it wouldn't matter. Hawkins does not play in the game: his players do. And those players at this time are not collectively playing well. If I were Barnum I'd be like, "Look all you like Dan, you still won't be able to beat my team" There's a reason why football is played by athletes and not by nerds who just observe the game and analyze it. UCD's problem is not lack of information; it's lack of execution.

What a stupid distinction to make about it being ok to see his son play but not coach. Does he even understand how parent/child relationships work ?

Also, football in Portland is pointless anyway. Clearly the University of Portland understands this and doesn't waste the resources on a football program.
  • AggieFinn

pretty solid take right there.

PDX is a Soccer City, which is the main reason the Vikings were kicked out of the downtown stadium.
  • zythe
    Am I missing something? Why is this against an unwritten rule?
  • Riveraggie
    Because usually they play with no one watching,
  • zythe
    Iron sharpens iron; he should be glad the Hawk is there
  • AggieFinn2
    That seems to be based more on enthusiasm than fact. She will learn lol. That this team has to play out in a subarb in a generic sports park speaks volumes about how much the university (minus the chancellor) and community value it. This is like how Seattle U's baseball team (no football program...hmm....) plays 25 miles away im Bellevue in a community park size-appropriate for a little league game. To their credit Seattle actually got their branding on it.
  • Toke69
    I didn't realize that the NCAA had a rule against teams scouting future opponents?
  • AggieFinn
    I will say in all honesty, that moving the team out of downtown probably helps attendance, but that Hillsboro field is terrible. it's a bad venue to call home.

As for the Aggie HOME game this Saturday, here are highlights from the thrashing the Aggies took in 2016 (Ron Gould):

• NCagalum
    As I understand it, based mostly from what I know about the Harbaugh/Michigan situation, is that you can’t have a hired member of the program intentionally be in person at a future opponents game with the intention of scouting that team. I think the real issue is taking video (specifically of signs) to correlate with subsequent offensive plays or defensive alignments.

The reality is anyone can simply subscribe to ESPN+ for $11/month and watch any future opponents game and rewind etc. to his hearts content. So I think the main issue is intentional
    “Research” with regard to signs, e.g., taking video of signs relayed, prior to and outside of the head to head game. I got a chuckle from the college game day sign at the U of Utah that said “Michigan stole my other sign”.

I think Barnum is over-reacting. Barnum is tight with Bobby Hauck and hired his son Robby. That right there ought to tell you something.
  • Riveraggie
    i was at a game when Davis had a bigger margin of victory over PSU.

Trivia question when was that game?
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Went to a Seattle game vs UOP in March 2020, just when Covid was starting to impact the US but had not caused cancellations yet. It's a nice field but in a park far from anything. It was strange that they played in a suburb. Met a friend of mine and Ag alum who was team chaplain for the Tigers and two of his friends.
    Took a crowded bus home from Seattle as a Sounders game had just let out and from that point I decided I didn't want to do that again.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!