• Fiat Lux
    I think I read in one of the articles that he mulled stepping away at the end of last season. I wonder if he felt like there was unfinished business after being snubbed for the playoffs. Comes back looking to make a real playoff push only to be left out again. He sees it as a sign from the universe as its time for something new.
  • 72Aggie
    I wonder how much of his decision has to do with being 63 and dealing with the changing nature of recruiting in the era of the transfer portal and NIL. Coaching is becoming a young man's game.
  • movielover

UC Davis Athletics: Dan Hawkins Inks Contract Extension Through 2027 6/30/2022

" "This contract provides the continuity necessary to build on the recent achievements of our players and staff," said Hawkins."

I can't access articles in the Davis Enterprise and elsewhere on his 2022 contract extension (and likely raise), but in 2022 he made $283,522.00 plus benefits.

If they keep him on the payroll three years, my understanding is that he'll add 3% per year to his UC pension.

How big was Hawkins role in raising funds for the $40 million athletic performance facility and practice field? Really key for ICA.
  • cmt
    2019 the schedule killed us. Played an 8-5 Cal and No. 1 North Dakota St in the non conference. Also San Diego who made the playoffs. Then in conference we drew No. 3 Weber, No. 4 Sac, No. 5 Montana St and No. 6 Montana, plus North Dakota, who went 7-5 and made the playoffs. That team wasn't as good as 2018, but with an easier schedule, that team could have gone 7-5 or 8-4 and maybe made the playoffs.
  • cmt
    Usually sarcasm is funny. You typically aren't funny.
  • movielover
    Interesting article in the Idaho Statesman that adds clarification.

- Dan Hawkins no longer owns a home in Boise, he'll remain in Davis
    - Cody Hawkins: "I’ve known for years that as soon as my dad retired, Plough was going to be the head coach. That’s part of the reason I came here, because I love Plough and respect him, and I knew whether it was one year, four years or five years, Plough was going to be the head coach. He deserves to be the head coach there.' "
    - Coach Hawk has children in Boise, North Carolina and Portland
    - Dad will help raise $$$ for name, image and likeness program

https://www.idahostatejournal.com/sports/local/column-rumors-aside-hawkins-not-going-back-to-california/article_f669fed4-8fb0-11ee-b9b6-9b4b7082155d.html
  • zythe
    This is awesome all things considering.

Hawkins did change the culture for the positive.
  • movielover
    Mike Moroski (66) at College of Idaho has been lighting it up, building a program from zero.

2023 - 9-2, 6-2
    2022 - 8-2, 8-2
    2021 - 7-3, 7-3
    2020 - 3-1, 3-1
    2018 - 11-1, 10-0

Would Chris Peterson (59) be interested in coaching again? Davis doesn't have the time commitment of UW, and he could come back home. That would be a blockbuster hire.
  • AggieFinn2
    Incorrect. Humor is not a requirement of sarcasm. Look it up.

*Edited to save space and get to the point more quickly*

Since your understanding of sarcasm is limited I will state something very clearly to you. I do not care if you or anyone find my posts to be interesting or humorous. I post because it amuses me.
  • cmt
    Generally speaking people are entertained by my sarcasm. Clearly you're doing it wrong.

Note: that wasn't sarcasm. I really do think you're doing it wrong.
  • SochorField
    If my memory serves......Coach may feel burned by his alma mater after he was passed over for the HC position when he-who-shall-not-be-named came in..(I could be wrong, and Moroski turned it down for something new....but I remember him being a candidate)

Cody pretty much confirmed Plough is the guy.
  • AggieFinn2
    "Generally speaking" is your opinion and not a fact but you go on not caring about facts and I'll gp on finding your opinions worthless.
  • NCagalum
    This board might benefit from a poster filter function when ignoring does not seem to work.
  • AggieFinn2
    The board could really benefit from people not being whiny, uptight babies when someone makes a general statement about how the coach knows better than they do. Ignore this !
  • NCagalum
    Chris Peterson would be great, but he’s probably enjoying what he’s doing now. Would be a similar arc as Hawk in that he’s doing TV commentating on FOX games like Hawk did on ESPN prior to returning to HC. His kids are older now. I think Plough would be a good hire too. I thought he was a good OC. This year’s Aggie defense was the best I can ever remember. They kept the Aggies in games and won some. If the defense can stay at this level and the offense can be sparked up a bit, I think that could get them over the hump.

I think it is still a plus to hire someone who has been with the program. I think culture is more important at Davis than other schools. It may have been more so in the past with academic interests of athletes and academic requirements, but even with some academic relaxations after moving up I think it is still important.
  • NCagalum
    Wow didn't see that coming at all

Doesn’t surprise me too much. With grandkids and Cody now at ISU and being at a “retirement age” I’m sure he had been thinking about it. Glad he brought the program back and I am sure he will find plenty to do. I am going to miss his press conferences. One only has to watch a Bobby Hauck press conference to realize how good he has been for the University.
  • agalum

“ Would Chris Peterson be interested in coaching again? Davis doesn't have the time commitment of UW, and he could come back home. That would be a blockbuster hire.”

It would be a block buster hire but at UW he was making north of 4.8M. I can’t imagine him dropping down to FCS for ~300k/yr.
  • movielover
    Today I read a few snippets of what he's doing, trying to 'find joy' (see Plough, Sochor). He's already wealthy and set for life. Would he be attracted to pursuing another championship, working with true student athletes, and being closer to CA family and friends? That was something Rocko hopefully had a bead on six months ago. Does being a TV analyst bring him joy?

EARLY SIGNING PERIOD: December 20, 2023
  • agalum

Regarding the signing period and portal, I expect we hear the choice within a week of Hawk’s announcement. It would seem prudent that Rocko addresses the team and provide some sort of assurance that the sky is not falling.
  • Riveraggie
    The 2019 team also lost to a 3-9 Southern Utah team.
  • NCagalum
    Davis beat SUU in 2019 33-25. I remember watching that game. They had to use a reserve QB as running back due to injuries.
  • CA Forever
    I want due diligence done in terms of hiring the next coach, but now that the December signing date has become the main signing date we need to get it done ASAP. I would hope that Rocko has been on top of this and that we get someone in place in the next day or so.
  • movielover
    And we hopefully lock down DC Coombs.
  • 69aggie
    IMHO Hawk told Rocko long ago that this was his plan. He would never have just dumped his decision on Rocko a week ago. Thus Rocko has had sufficient time to make the right decision on his next coach. As to salary I think $300,000+/- benefits is more than OK. So not the best in FCS but OK. Peterson is a very long shot, so no go there. $4.5 M not happening here. Another possibility DC Coombs. Still not sure Plough is on board for this. Maybe have to take a pay cut. FBS salaries are ridiculous now.
  • agalum
    For what it’s worth, Coach Plough’s current salary at Cal is $270,000 plus bonus. Cost of living in the bay area would make a similar buck stretch further in Davis. I’m assuming he has a young family. Moving kids from their school and friends would certainly be part of the decision making process.
    https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant/6213

For kicks i was trying to find Moroski’s salary but the numbers i found were ridiculously low.
  • movielover
    From the Big Game / Axe photo he may have three young children.
  • AggieFan81
    There are other Aggie Alums qualified for this position. In addition, new blood wouldn't hurt either. Casting a wider net never hurts.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!