• NewGuy
    Reality Check! Coach Hawkins hasn't coached collegiately for 7 or so years. Does he even have a network of RECRUITERS that can hit the ground running; persuading high-quality, admissible recruits to commit to UC Davis this late in the process. Not to mention retaining those recruits that have (only) verbally committed.

I feel he should focus on the larger tasks of fundraising, academic support, equipment upgrades, admissions, strategic planning, etc. Perhaps bring in a consultant or two this first year to assist with the implementation of his vision going forward.
  • CA Forever
    Reality check? Seems like kind of an unnecessary comment to make. Yeah I do think Coach Hawkins has a network of guys that could potentially hit the ground running if they came to Davis. Hawk has been in the game for a long time and has made a lot connections all around the world of football. I agree that there is a lot of work to do in turning this program around, but assembling a staff quickly and recruiting is part of that... you can't blow that off. Even recruits you don't end up landing are always potential transfers from another school because you bothered to go out there and make a connection.
  • movielover
    Hawk says he is the best coach he has ever been, now. He has contacts, and his Aggie connections go back 3 decades. Two were in the Sacramento playoffs this weekend. He also coached with Aggies who head up jc programs all over the state.

Foster will be valuable. Maybe he'll keep on an assistant or two for transition. If we have 7 or 8 commits, he only needs half a class. Congrats to Dr. Blue on the quick moves. Can Hawk land some studs or just as importantn, some overlooked players? Don't forget Parenteau as an example went from hot commodity and 7 offers, to ignored, to causing turnovers as a true Frosh for our D.
  • Aggie57
    New member...have enjoyed getting the latest updates and agree the future looks bright for the Aggies!
    Responding to GunRock post: sources report that both OC Daft and DC Watts were not invited back. Both are quality guys but with the Hawk coming in there was little doubt he puts his own guys into those key roles.
  • aggie6thman
    Welcome to AST, 57!
  • OldAggie
    Aggie57 is correct. Only a few low level assistants will be retained. DC Watts has already been hired. While, Fresno State's Board claims Watts has been hired as DC, that's not correct, he's a position coach. Good luck to him and Coach Gould as they take on a huge rebuilding project in Fresno. Coach Daft was not invited back, and has not yet found a new home. Hawkins will bring in his own guys because he has to politically...just as Tedford is doing in Fresno.
  • movielover
    1.3 D1 wins per year last 3 years, a lot has to change. I hope Foster comes back...did the D have it's best outing versus SLO with Foster in the Gould Era this year?
  • OldAggie
    I'll reserve my judgment on Gould's performance wins/losses until after I see what Hawk does (with better resources). Whatever Gould and Watts did with the defense was pretty damn good over the years...offense no so much. I remember us holding the leading FCS rusher from NAU to some ungodly low number, and their team to almost nothing, and we still lost (more 3 and outs in a row than I've ever seen in a game). Foster's actual role this year was more of a mentor to the team in general, and specifically to Coach Gould, he did not design or call the defense. Foster is pure class, and i hope he stays around for as long as he wants. Best defensive outing by far was the NAU game. PSU (at PSU) a few years ago was pretty damn good too, we also lost.
  • goaggs1
    My understanding is Coach Gould allowed his staff to do their jobs and was respectful of their decision making and ideas. I have tremendous respect for him and agree that the teams performance was not a result of his coaching abilities, but being the head coach, you're the CEO of the organization and all fault falls up. My opinion is the coordinators were the problems and should have been replaced several years ago. I would have really liked to see Coach Gould stay and to bring on new coordinators. This team will succeed based on the fact we should have an OC that is more aggressive and creative with the plays. It seems all the Big Sky team have fast paced offenses and Davis' was so predictable and methodical that there was no urgency or energy. The competitors just picked them apart. The D's performed as well as any in the conference so as long as the O can step up their game, which they have the talent to do, this team will win.
  • OldAggie
    Coach Gould is an awesome guy, was handicapped by poor leadership in the ICA, but he wasn't a great coach in his first three years. He wasn't great listening to his staff, and didn't make good in-game decisions. I agree our OC should have been changed before year 3, or at least change the offense. Our defense played at our conference level, and if you take out the second FBS game each year, our stats would be far stronger on D. In any event, Coach Gould came into a storm of crud...a terrible AD (Tumey, then his wife), and no money. Looks like we are in the right place with Dr. Blue, but time will tell. Gould will be just fine, but I hope the rest of his staff find homes as well.
  • movielover
    Even if I agree with both of you, your logic doesn't't explain why Coach Biggs did more with less. I believe Coach Gould got a $400K increase in budget and expanded recruiting area. He also recruited a lot of speed. Biggs last year had several very competitive, close losses.

The HC is responsible for everything, and our offense was often as predictable as mud. We had poor clock management, and weren't even prepared with a hurry up offense! A recent article noted how Gould cared for his players - which we all agree with - and as proof he got a blizzard of texts from players on their daily status as the interview happened. A fellow Aggie calls that micromanagement and a poor allocation of the HC time.

Today's article in the Davis Enterprise says Gould would not change a single item. Not one item.

He blames injuries and basically says he inherited a dumpster fire... which really means Biggs really did an amazing job. How did we compete with Boise State and others? DE claims Gould will be a PE coach here for the time being.
  • CA Forever
    I read that article this morning as well. Pretty astounding that he said he wouldn't change a single thing he did here at Davis. I don't expect him to sit there and say "my coordinators were jokes" but c'mon man, you wouldn't change a single thing? To me that makes it more than clear that it was time for Gould to go. Not only was he not a great in game coach, but he was delusional to this fact. Time to move on though, Hawkins is here and we can only hope that he is able to turn this program around.
  • SochorField
    Even if I agree with both of you, your logic doesn't't explain why Coach Biggs did more with less.movielover

Biggs was a better coach. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.
  • SochorField
    Just read the Davis Enterprise Article. Gould still blaming injuries and the kids themselves for not "getting it" as he is walking out the door.

I bet some people are insulted by Gould's idea that he "changed a culture."
  • CA Forever
    Don't you like how he takes zero responsibility for the results of the program? Classy...
  • movielover
    . +3

This is so telling.
  • agalum
    When I think back about 2014-2015 and this last season, in many of the games we lost, we either were leading at half time or still in the game. But Gould got out coached with adjustments nearly every game by the opposing team. I don't believe we will see that happen with Hawk. I am full of anticipation for spring training and next season. I just might have to plan a trip down to San Diego to see the inaugural game.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!